Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 PM

Default Re: HD Omni

Wow that sucks!!!

I got an idea, let's call it "HD PUNY." "Omni" it certainly ain't.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:24 PM

With the exception of ADC, and TDM plugs, which are not deal breakers for everyone, why not get the Apogee Ensemble for $1900 and run that via ADAT with your 003, even add DVTK2, have better AD/DA, more I/O, and still waaaaaaaaay cheaper than buying the PCIe card for $3500+, the OMNI for $3,000, and a Mac Pro for at least $1500-$2,000.
As far as I can see the new 8.1 isn't showing any fixes anyway?
Maybe a laptop adaptor for the OMNI and the ability to run HD software would be cool, but when????
Old 08-17-2010, 10:56 PM

Soundboy, even doing what you said and stepping up to the new Apogee Symphony I/O in place of the Ensemble will still come out cheaper.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:28 PM

well, one thing is for sure we all know good audio gear is not cheap period these days. most new comers are jaw dropped when they have $400 and think they can get something top of the line pro that's best of the best.

I have a rosetta 200 on a digi002 with a API lunchbox. Haven't even touched protools in a year and I'm a 10 year user here. I really thinking I'm just going to sell both my rosetta 200 and digi 002 for a lynx8fw or save the extra bones and get a symphony i/o with card and be done with it. I'm the kind of guy that uses quality gear and pres but don't need more than 8 high end pres at most. Lynx would cost me next to nothing for great quality with Logic and the Symphony I/O I might have to save up a bit.

I have a feeling LE users might be able to use the omni down the line. Think about it if Avid let LE users have full 96khz with at least 8 channels or more and a limited track count to keep HD in the game what converter do you think people will buy and most likely upgrade for more power every year? If they don't do that the marketing team is just moronic! That's a big sales boost right there and if they do probably would pull it out to boost annual sales down the line depending how much the omni sells. They have to make a net profit off this thing and right now I don't even think HD users are going to jump at this already having adx, lynx ect. just a few.

It might be smart to move down m-audio as the $400-2,000 range le once was and just move le in the middle bridging the gap and reviving sales with the new omni being an exclusive way to get hd sound and more than two channels at 96khz with le. Oh and adc :)
Old 08-17-2010, 11:53 PM

Well put djkiller........ Us le users can only hope
Old 08-18-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Not to deflate anyone's balloon, but the Omni is max 4 inputs and max 8 outputs, regardless of all those connections. I've been reading the user's guide. All those digital connections are just for options, you still won't get more than 8 outputs at one time.

So this isn't even close to the 2626 or 003 in terms of flexibility.

Actually on page 14 of the user guide it says that is only 8 channels of I/O max. If it's the primary interface it will be channels 1-8 and if it's hooked to the expansion port it would be 17-24.

Now I'm suddenly not very interested.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
Until the end of the year when Avid releases another new product, that the omni will work with, and then you think "damn, why did I spend all this money on HD when this other new thing would have been perfect for me!"
I spent over 30k in the early 90's on an Amek console which can now be hand for about 3k sh. If I add up all the gear I have purchased since I started in the mid 80's (the digital stuff which is practically worthless these days) I would be looking at maybe around 90k+ most of it pretty worthless these days. I dont sit here with tears streaming down my face at my loss. If i used the logic your using I would never have bought a thing. I may as well just stop now for fear prices will drop.

Im not aiming this statement at you, this is just in general.

Theres far to many HD users overly concerned about Digidesigns possible venture in to allowing the HD software to be used with any interface, or basically some sort of native system. Im sure these people do have an influence on Digidesigns decisions. But if it were me at the top of digis board i would say to hell with it. Lets just get on with it. We either have faith in our software or we dont. The HD users who really do need all that extra processing power and actually get on with doing wont bat an eye lid and will continue to use their gear for years to come. But there are many of us who dont fit that shoe in terms of need. Were the ones who love the software but dont like what you have to buy in order to get the quality we can from any native system.

I would pay a grand for protools software if I could use it with any interface. I have an excellent little Apogee Duet which utterly blows away the M audio interface Im currently using fro my Mac, and an equally excellent RME Interface for my PC. I only need a high quality monitoring solution (convertor) and there are many like me. I wont ever go HD again (I was an HD user way back in the earl decade). I simply do not need multiple ins and outs and the extra processing power. But im forced to use less than stellar interfaces. Sure the Le things are decent but they are not what I want.

One thing I will absolutely guarantee is that Digidesign/Avid will have to change and maybe this is a sign of that. I happen to be someone who likes to keep an eye on a range of stock prices and Avid stock prices have been a little erratic, basically dropping. This cannot go on indefinitely.

As for this omni thing I have no idea what it is. Do I need an HD core card to run it?

Edit
After reading the entire thread I got the answer. I would need a processor card. Well thats me out of that one then :)
Old 08-18-2010, 10:52 AM

It's clear avid wants a fiefdom and is not going to allow just any interface to be used with pt. They just released digilink-mandatory new hardware. So they will sell digilink computer interfaces (cheaper ones, but i think they will start over $1000 given they want $3000 just for a glorified mbox). You can get l-ynx aurora, mytek etc that have digilink adapters.

But yes the hd cards they have been trying to replace for years but have failed partly because intel cancelled the chip they planned to use. I'm not buying new hd cards are you crazy?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:05 PM

Hmm I was under the impression that the Omni was some kind of HD entry level interface as well. But sorry, Avid, as a composer for film and TV (one of the few who actually uses Pro Tools for composing) you still don't give me any reason to pay you more money.

What I really need is unlimited busses and audio tracks. As well as efficient VI support, and perhaps 64-Bit memory addressing. Any sequencer out there that could do all that would grab me in a second....oh wait, that's Logic again.

Man.
Pro Tools LE v8.03 Digi 002r w/ DV Toolkit 2 Mac Pro 2.26 gHZ 12 GB RAM Snow Leopard 10.6.3
Old 09-14-2010, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTcomposer View Post
Hmm I was under the impression that the Omni was some kind of HD entry level interface as well. But sorry, Avid, as a composer for film and TV (one of the few who actually uses Pro Tools for composing) you still don't give me any reason to pay you more money.

What I really need is unlimited busses and audio tracks. As well as efficient VI support, and perhaps 64-Bit memory addressing. Any sequencer out there that could do all that would grab me in a second....oh wait, that's Logic again.

Man.
Actually, there is one that does what you want (that's not Logic) but unfortunately it's Windows only. I'm talking about Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 Sonar has been 64 bit for a couple of years now; they have no intentions of coding it for Mac users though.

QAPLA!