Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2021, 12:36 PM

Default Dante issues on Mac Pro 7.1 (Catalina) upgrade, worked on Mac 5.1 (Mojave)

I have just upgraded my rig with a new Mac Pro (2019) and I am encountering an issue with my Dante setup. I use Dante Via and Controller to route audio from Apps and the web into Protools through my MTRX studio, for monitoring while I work, and also use it to route the output from a Kyma (pacarana) into protools as well.

On my old rig (Mac Pro 5,1 cheesegrater running Mojave) it all worked great, but now on the new rig (Mac Pro 7,1 running Catalina) I get audio initially, but over time the sound starts to distort and dropout and then it mutes.

I have read that there might be a compatibility problem with the Dante software and OS Catalina, does anyone know this to be the case? It might be a clocking problem but I can't see anywhere where it is giving me a clocking error.

Any Dante experts seen this happening?
Old 03-21-2021, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Dante issues on Mac Pro 7.1 (Catalina) upgrade, worked on Mac 5.1 (Mojave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones View Post
I have just upgraded my rig with a new Mac Pro (2019) and I am encountering an issue with my Dante setup. I use Dante Via and Controller to route audio from Apps and the web into Protools through my MTRX studio, for monitoring while I work, and also use it to route the output from a Kyma (pacarana) into protools as well.

On my old rig (Mac Pro 5,1 cheesegrater running Mojave) it all worked great, but now on the new rig (Mac Pro 7,1 running Catalina) I get audio initially, but over time the sound starts to distort and dropout and then it mutes.

I have read that there might be a compatibility problem with the Dante software and OS Catalina, does anyone know this to be the case? It might be a clocking problem but I can't see anywhere where it is giving me a clocking error.

Any Dante experts seen this happening?
DVS doesn’t currently work the the ethernet ports on 7.1 Mac Pros. You have to use a USB to Ethernet adapter. Perhaps the same applies to Via?
Old 03-21-2021, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Dante issues on Mac Pro 7.1 (Catalina) upgrade, worked on Mac 5.1 (Mojave)

Dante (period) doesn't work off of the 10GBe ports.
You need a 1GBe ethernet/usb dongle.
Old 12-19-2023, 11:22 PM

Did you switch on/off your Wifi on the MacPro?

Same symptom still happening! It happened recently during a show after I switched on the Wifi for internet acces on the iMacPro, after the internet acces via the 2nd ethernet connector went down.
The crackling and dropout thing happened after about 1 hour I switched on Wifi, in the middle of the show!
After I switched off the Wifi on the iMacPro, everything worked fine again. I had to reboot the iMacPro though.
Must be a DANTE bug Dave!

The DANTE Rig: SSL Live 300 v5.2, SSL Blacklight NW bridge & 256ch DANTE io, SBBS 32-24,iMacPro, 16 Amadeus PMX-nnDante loudspeakers, iMacPro running Ventura, and a few other Dante boxes, all @ fs=96kHz.

Huby