Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-18-2012, 05:19 PM

Default Yet Another New OS : Mountain Lion

http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain...o-mountainlion

Hoorah, now with even more sh*t we don't need.

Seriously though, as professionals, how are we supposed to keep up with this? How are we supposed to get STABLE software when the OS keeps being updated with such alarming frequency? How can we expect Avid and the myriad of 3rd party plug-in manufacturers to keep their stuff working? Should they even try?

Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?
Old 02-18-2012, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Yet Another New OS : Mountain Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain...o-mountainlion

Hoorah, now with even more sh*t we don't need.

Seriously though, as professionals, how are we supposed to keep up with this? How are we supposed to get STABLE software when the OS keeps being updated with such alarming frequency? How can we expect Avid and the myriad of 3rd party plug-in manufacturers to keep their stuff working? Should they even try?

Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?
Choose companies that aren't building their products on top of consumer OSes. For this, you'd better be ready to PAY big time. Custom software is what it is. You're paying them to write their own disk drivers etc. Your DAW software would probably cost $10k or more.

Better??

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:41 PM

no
you're making a mountain lion out of a mole hill

[why i felt it necessary to say it is beyond me.... long day of metal tracking i guess]

I'm right there with you. Impossible to keep up. It's sort of liberating though. There's been so many changes and so much upheaval lately. For the first time in 15 years, I don't care anymore. If my computer blows up and I'm FORCED to upgrade, I'm in trouble. But...

Other than that, I'm busy. And my clients don't care which cat is running, as long as we're not crashing. It may not be the latest greatest, but I feel like PT 10 and Lion and now Mountain Lion cured me of some GAS you know? Not enough hours in a day to stress the stuff.

We're entering into another Free-for-all era I think. Multiple DAWs, platforms, etc. the recording business is soon going to resemble the bar room in Star Wars in terms of workflow.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2018.3.
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:06 PM

Just look at the new HDX system- there aren't even any plugins to run on the damn thing! The company releasing the hardware can't even keep up with itself. Free fall, indeed...
Old 02-18-2012, 11:37 PM

I didn't expect another OSX major release this year, but now that they have released the pre-release I'm happy it's going to be released soon. Why?

Because AVID cannot release PT11 before Mountain Lion, which means that AVID needs to support PT10 on 10.8 as well. Which in turn makes current systems more future-proof than I expected, and it also makes it possible for AVID to not hurry PT11 out of the door and make it great from day one.

Great!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:06 AM

Why bother, at this rate, Apple will be out with another OS by the holidays. I'll wait for OS XI
Old 02-19-2012, 01:46 AM

There's not going to be OS XI (or Mac OS 11). They've invested so much into the "OSX" trademark they're not going to throw it away any time soon.

Macintosh timeline:

- System 1-7
- Mac OS 7.6 - 9.22
- Mac OS X (Mac OS 10)

Now they ditch the Mac from the OS name altogether, so it will be OSX release 8, a.k.a. "OSX Mountain Lion". There's not even going to be a "Mac" in the "About this Mac" dialog anymore, it's just "OSX".

...so forget about OS XI
Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 AM

Looks to me like the thing that is driving all of these OS releases is maintenance of connectivity and sharing of apps with iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. This is bad news because those things compete in another market that has a 10 new apps a week.

(Even though I'm a PC user, I'm in the soup with you as I bought my wife a MacBook Pro for Christmas - and I have to maintain that thing. She's not that computer savvy and is still learning the details of Lion. The last thing she's gonna want to see is a new OS.)

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.6, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 02-19-2012, 05:49 AM

Frequent OS updates aside, Mac updating is a breeze compared to the hell of Windows OS updating.
As I said earlier in the thread, when I updated from 10.6.8 to Lion, then added the 10.7.2 update, it took around a half hour including an OS drive clone, and everything (very much including Pro Tools) worked flawlessly, and has ever since.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I didn't expect another OSX major release this year, but now that they have released the pre-release I'm happy it's going to be released soon. Why?

Because AVID cannot release PT11 before Mountain Lion, which means that AVID needs to support PT10 on 10.8 as well. Which in turn makes current systems more future-proof than I expected, and it also makes it possible for AVID to not hurry PT11 out of the door and make it great from day one.

Great!
+1