Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-08-2012, 04:53 AM

Default Re: TO ALL TDM undecideds, HDX users are multiplying daily, AAX porting is as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrox View Post
lack of industry acceptance
This is not my point at all. I think the industry has accepted HDX as the new standard its just taking a while longer to make the transition . With not much AAX DSP I can fully understand why some people cannot make the change to HDX. There rent food and car payment depend on having a system that is 100% ready and HDX isn't really there yet. If you do big sessions for a living and need the AAX DSP power, HDX doesn't offer that much this very moment . At this point everyone knows HDX is the new system it is way better ,faster, much cheaper , and undeniably sounds better ,

The fact that some people have not yet upgraded has a lot more to do with there favourite plugins not being available yet and some of those companies pretending that they might never be available. BULLARKY .
The whole world is in tough times right now studio,s are not immune to this neither are plugin manufacturers . My guess is sooner than later almost all TDM plugs will go AAX dsp. The industry has accepted HDX and so have 98% of plugin companies but HDX is all about going 64bit and that won't happen more than likely until HD11 comes out in October maybe later. When PT is 64bit the plugs will be to , but as someone already pointed out porting plugins is a big job and they are not going to do it twice once for 32bit now and then 64 bit later. Don't be surprised that when HD is 64bit there will be hundreds of new 64bit AAX dsp plugs announced along with it from almost all company,s.

LOOKING AT THE PLUS SIDE
Avid could have not released HDX and we all would have continued to buy TDM hardware software plugins and such . TDM ACCEL cards for $7500 each then the very next day released HDX with 100% support from every company 64bit enabled with no warning.
BUT
AVID decided to give us all the heads up a year in advance so we would be aware of transition to 64bit. I personally thank Avid for this. I just got into TDM and wanted to buy lots of plugins and extra accel cards and such. AVID did the honourable thing and it cost them lots of money. Im sure it wasn't in there best interest to do so but they did anyway. Doesn't that deserve some respect. Come on people give them some credit where they have earned it.

It wouldn't surprise me if every plugin company is hard at work right this very second on porting tdm to AAX dsp but it just won't be available until 64bit PT is out. It also wouldn't surprise me if some of these companies don't transition there old plugs to AAX they might simply just make new ones. Why would they port a old standard to a new one when the new quality lets them sound so much better . If electric cars were finally here as the norm would we expect GM FORD to modify our existing cars to electric at almost no cost. NO WE WOULDN'T. Some people have $15,000 in plugins. And thats a lot of FREE to ask for, maybe to much

This is just my personal opinion like everyone else,s but it makes sence to me and gives me something to look forward to I hope it does for you as well.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:01 AM

Default Re: TO ALL TDM undecideds, HDX users are multiplying daily, AAX porting is as well.

Here's why I am waiting:

1. Confusing pricing that includes a "free" interface I don't want or need.
2. Very high upgrade pricing for AAX plugs from TDM, above and beyond the expense of the card. AAX was presented as being much easier to code than TDM - if so, AAX pricing should be lower than TDM.
3. Not enough AAX dsp plugs. At the moment, HDX might be better called "Native Plus".
4. No new Mac towers. (While I already have a MacIntel tower, if the Mac Pros were being dumped the future of HDX would be different.) Looks like this will be changing, but even so there is wisdom in waiting for others to do the beta testing. Once they are released it will be months before the problems are sorted.

So, I can spend $8k or more upgrading, or $1500 to max out my HD3 rig to an HD6 and ride that as long as possible. Or, I can spend nothing and wait.

As far as sound quality goes, what happens when you open a mix that sounds great on TDM inside HDX? My guess is the difference will be slight. What about TDM users who have a summing mixer? How much better is HDX going to be for them?

My final concern is regarding Avid as a company. I don't believe they are meeting their customers needs as well as they should. Instead, they have focused on increasing the company's stock price - and failed. I have a hard time giving money to their current leadership. Even letting this go, I have to wonder how long an HDX system will be valid. TDM lasted quite a long time - I wonder if HDX will be the same.

I appreciate those of you who have bought HDX. I was used to being on the cutting edge for years; it is less appealing to me now.

Keep those positive HDX anecdotes coming!

Best...H
Old 06-08-2012, 11:45 PM

If you already have the new AVID I/O , PT 10 HD and a HD3 PCIe system I cant see ANY reason to up(down) grade to HDX. You will loose your Waves (dsp) , Line6 , Eventide Anthology and TC Electronic plugins for what ?
Tell me what Im missing and will reconsider.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:07 AM

[QUOTE=Firechild;1938561 Tell me what Im missing and will reconsider.[/QUOTE]

You all have good points of view no better or worse than my own. For me it made sense for you at this time it might not . I understand that some of you guys have really nice systems I would be jealous of if I was still in TDM. Man I wish I had a HD3/6 with that many plugins. You have systems that allow you to work the way you want and get the results you need ,what else could you ask for.

Im not trying to say if you don't have HDX you are somehow not capable of great things Im just saying for the people who are considering HDX as a option don't flood them with just the negative side of it. with all that is on here about HDX if someone at this point is considering HDX chances are they are not dependent on ProTools for a living and can ride along with HDX until it gets to where it will. Some people talk like HDX cannot complete a quality project and that is just not true. That is my point HDX as of now can complete a very high quality project.

To be honest with everybody with all the negative stuff on the forum I just wanted to say something positive . I don't agree disagree with any of you I just wanted to say something good because HDX isn't good its great. And it will only get better.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
If you already have the new AVID I/O , PT 10 HD and a HD3 PCIe system I cant see ANY reason to up(down) grade to HDX. You will loose your Waves (dsp) , Line6 , Eventide Anthology and TC Electronic plugins for what ?
Tell me what Im missing and will reconsider.
"It sounds better."

LOL.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUNDDECISION View Post
Its similar to why we all record 24 bit even though it will probably end up 16 bit on CD or worse an Mp3. Really we could all track at 16 bit and be much more careful about levels along the way and get pretty much the same final mix.

But with 24 bit audio theres a lot more clarity in the lower levels so we can record lower, allow more dynamic range and also save soft performances that would have ended up grungy on 16 bit tracking.

If you understand that concept it's a somewhat similar situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
64 bit Accumulator for HDN and HDX cards
from HDs 48 bit
or vanilla 32 bit
If we're talking just about sound quality, I'm with WernerF, I would want a double blind test because you're basic premise is incorrect. TDM has a 56bit fixed point accumulator whereas HDX has a 64bit floating point accumulator which equates to about 53bits of accuracy. So purely on the figures, a TDM system has the better accuracy, at least as far as the summing mixer is concerned! In practise though I can't think of any situations when you'd be able to hear this difference. If there is an improvement it's most likely somewhere else in the system or due to expectation bias, which is why I would want a DBX test.

Although it's usually the case, newer technology doesn't always mean better performance. Concorde is a classic example, 40 year old technology that's never even been matched in passenger aircraft performance, let alone bettered.

G
Old 06-10-2012, 05:19 AM

I supported AVID by upgrading to their Holy Grail HDX system and they have failed me. They have, in essence, scammed their customers by force feeding a system that is not ready for commercial release. We will be well into a year of this product's lifespan before it is even fully functional, i.e. the DSP plugins are available in any real numbers that any reasonable pro user would call useful. This failure by AVID has affected the way I view all of their products now and has breached a level of confidence I had in the company. I now avoid buying any of their product line except for Pro Tools 10 which is still a home run. One does not make this kind of upgrade (HDX) and expect it to function at some imaginary point in the future. If you are going to say that it DOES function then you are being purely rhetorical. We all know what we expect from a Pro Tools DSP system and this ain't it. One man's opinion.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:11 AM

I feel your pain and agree that they aren't many AAX dsp plugins but I have a different experience.

I do mostly post work. When I bought an HDX2 system I decided to make things simple. Use euphonix dsp channel strip on all tracks, a few 5.1 RTAS limiters from my Mercury bundle and RTAS altiverbs. The HDX2 system is really stable and improved a lot my workflow. I can work 3 days without a single crash and when it does crash, I don't have to reboot anymore so it takes about 2 minutes to reload the session compare to about 15 minutes on an HD6 system.

I love the HDX system and would never go back. I am even considering buying another one (once I sell an HD3 accel PCI-E system).
Old 06-10-2012, 09:38 AM

I do music and have the same or better reliability scenario with my P Tools 10.2 HD6 system with the bonus of being able to use any plugin that I chose to use. I have also never run out of needed DSP power. I could use more voices and higher Delay Comp but I get by just fine with proper rescource management. Why should I upgrade (downgrade)? Better sound??? I file that, along with Greg, under expectation bias. The mind and emotional state are poweful force's when it comes to self deception. That brings us back to the double blind question.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:56 AM

I have a question so i can understand your point of view better.
If HDX had all the plugins that TDM does would that matter to you. or . Are you just very happy with the performance you have with your current HD6 system and would not care for HDX even if all your plugins were AAXdsp. I am not trying to be a smart **s here I just want to understand your perspective better.Sometime lack of understanding can cause confusion and misconceptions.