Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-20-2012, 04:59 AM
pmklein pmklein is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 545
Default Re: No AAX plugins???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
Which either means they're selling like crazy and they can't keep up, or Avid is incompetent at manufacturing. I hope it's the latter. I have been waiting on my Avid HD I/O 16x16 for weeks and it's messing up my entire schedule.

As for buying HDX now??? All I can say is, I had access to the same info as everyone else here (as did many others) and I didn't buy it because it was painfully obvious that it was too early.
If you had done your research, you would have seen that no one was getting their HD I/Os in a timely manner. Get my point? You certainly did not expect that the item would not even be available after all of the hype to go out and buy it.
This was a problem for me, too. The Omni I/O and the HDX card were promised to me for over 6 weeks before it was finally shipped. When I first ordered I was told I would have it by the end of the week. This went on for 6 more weeks.

Now, I'll give you some more info that is not out there. If your setup is more than 12.5 feet away from your computer, you're S.O.L. They don't make the cables longer than that to connect your new interface. Or so I have been told by the major dealer that sold me the stuff. So, you'll have to buy adapters for your existing cables that are a special order and cost about $50 each. I was told these would be coming in about a week, also. We'll see about that.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-20-2012, 05:40 AM
Drew Mazurek's Avatar
Drew Mazurek Drew Mazurek is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 11,536
Default Re: No AAX plugins???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmklein View Post
If you had done your research, you would have seen that no one was getting their HD I/Os in a timely manner. Get my point? You certainly did not expect that the item would not even be available after all of the hype to go out and buy it.
This was a problem for me, too. The Omni I/O and the HDX card were promised to me for over 6 weeks before it was finally shipped. When I first ordered I was told I would have it by the end of the week. This went on for 6 more weeks.

Now, I'll give you some more info that is not out there. If your setup is more than 12.5 feet away from your computer, you're S.O.L. They don't make the cables longer than that to connect your new interface. Or so I have been told by the major dealer that sold me the stuff. So, you'll have to buy adapters for your existing cables that are a special order and cost about $50 each. I was told these would be coming in about a week, also. We'll see about that.
I did. My dealer told me he had one in another store and that I'd have it in a week. Turns out that unit wasn't available. Different situation entirely. And rather than blame Avid as some would (not saying you specifically) I realize this a dealer issue.

You're right, I didn't know about the cable issue. Thanks.
__________________
www.drewmazurek.com

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-20-2012, 01:00 PM
pmklein pmklein is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 545
Default Re: No AAX plugins???

Didn't mean to sound testy (though, I am, haha). The reason I blame Avid is because my dealer specifically told me it was Avid not delivering the hardware as promised.
As for the AAX thing, I blame them because, well, they are hawking a product that is totally useless at the moment and I bought into the hype at face value based on their past integrity and performance- not on the assumption that I should be suspicious or incredulous. Like it's our responsibility to make sure there is software for their hardware? Sure, one could expect that not everyone would be on board with a new product right away but practically NO one? If the onus is on the customer then it certainly opens up a new paradigm in the trust relationship with the manufacturer.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-20-2012, 01:40 PM
phatbeatstudio phatbeatstudio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 566
Default Re: No AAX plugins???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmklein View Post
Just upgraded to the much-hyped HDX system. Let's just say there are several annoyances related to this upgrade, all conveniently left out of the Avid marketing uber-hype. Things like, you can't even get a cable over 12.5 feet long to connect the new interfaces to your computer. Things like, they changed the connectors on the interfaces to new mini connectors that require special adapters that cost $50 each and are a special order. But the crown jewel, the ultimate absurdity, is that the HDX card is touted as being more powerful than HAL 2000 or, in their own words: "With Pro Tools|HDX, you get up to 5x more power per card than Pro Tools|HD Accel, so you can focus on your mix—not your mixer—and do much more with less."
Oh, you'll do more with less alright because there are NO dsp plugins besides the Pro Tools EQs and compressors, etc.! But I suppose this is MY fault for not researching beforehand that the product being advertised will be completely useless until some imaginary point in the future. Hey, I guess I should look on the bright side- I can run 500,000 Digi 7 band EQs with virtually no load on my system!
Someone please correct any part of this post that is inaccurate regarding my grievances and I will be happy to recant. Until then, Caveat emptor.
wheres the digi 7 band I think somebody stole 2 of my bands I didnt get it
The 4 band channel strip is a bummer to me 4 band really .
I do like to use it just for the dynamics though but I preffer the old faithfull EQ III havent decided if it sounds better yet just like the flexability so ill keep using it for now
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Dnnspv Dnnspv is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 132
Default Re: No AAX plugins???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmklein View Post
Didn't mean to sound testy (though, I am, haha). The reason I blame Avid is because my dealer specifically told me it was Avid not delivering the hardware as promised.
As for the AAX thing, I blame them because, well, they are hawking a product that is totally useless at the moment and I bought into the hype at face value based on their past integrity and performance- not on the assumption that I should be suspicious or incredulous. Like it's our responsibility to make sure there is software for their hardware? Sure, one could expect that not everyone would be on board with a new product right away but practically NO one? If the onus is on the customer then it certainly opens up a new paradigm in the trust relationship with the manufacturer.
No matter how you try to spin it, you bought HDX too early and it has nothing to do with Avid's integrity. Avid has consistently said that vendors are committed to AAX DSP and more plugins are coming. They did not make false promise on that. Those who can deal with the very limited AAX DSP plugins are fine. Those who can't... it's their fault for buying it or for not being patient. There are no cup cakes or I'm sorries. Get over it and wait.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-20-2012, 10:08 PM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 16,884
Default Re: No AAX plugins???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
BX and SPL are on
I think BX/SPL are only doing AAX-native. Can anyone using HDX system confirm what kind of AAX support they have?
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 AM
ronwasserman's Avatar
ronwasserman ronwasserman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 1,850
Default Re: No AAX plugins???

https://plugin-alliance.com/en/downloads.html all aax native.
__________________
Ron Wasserman
http://www.ronw.com
http://www.imdb.me/ronwasserman
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-21-2012, 03:01 PM
pmklein pmklein is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 545
Default Re: No AAX plugins???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnnspv View Post
No matter how you try to spin it, you bought HDX too early and it has nothing to do with Avid's integrity. Avid has consistently said that vendors are committed to AAX DSP and more plugins are coming. They did not make false promise on that. Those who can deal with the very limited AAX DSP plugins are fine. Those who can't... it's their fault for buying it or for not being patient. There are no cup cakes or I'm sorries. Get over it and wait.
I bought it too early. Now THERE is some spin for ya. Yes, shame on the customer who bought the product being hyped for months in videos and on the company's website with gaggles of professionals touting its amazing power and flexibility. Except they and their vendors forgot to mention that there are virtually no plugins to use with the hardware. Would you say that is an inaccurate statement? Perhaps you could show me the ads that say "Up to 5 times the power of Pro Tools Accel, um, once some plugins are authored to work with this amazing new hardware."

I would contend the product is being SOLD too early. I didn't come to them begging for it to be put in stores. They told us, with their ads and marketing,
"It's here, it's here! Come and get it!" Is that inaccurate? It seems like a pretty major omission of information. If you're ok with that, then good for you. I am not.
As for the cupcakes and sorries, you're not in a position to grant them or deny them. And what an inconsiderate, obnoxious way to respond to someone you don't even know, even if we disagree on the post.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Dnnspv Dnnspv is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 132
Default Re: No AAX plugins???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmklein View Post
I bought it too early. Now THERE is some spin for ya. Yes, shame on the customer who bought the product being hyped for months in videos and on the company's website with gaggles of professionals touting its amazing power and flexibility. Except they and their vendors forgot to mention that there are virtually no plugins to use with the hardware. Would you say that is an inaccurate statement? Perhaps you could show me the ads that say "Up to 5 times the power of Pro Tools Accel, um, once some plugins are authored to work with this amazing new hardware."

I would contend the product is being SOLD too early. I didn't come to them begging for it to be put in stores. They told us, with their ads and marketing,
"It's here, it's here! Come and get it!" Is that inaccurate? It seems like a pretty major omission of information. If you're ok with that, then good for you. I am not.
As for the cupcakes and sorries, you're not in a position to grant them or deny them. And what an inconsiderate, obnoxious way to respond to someone you don't even know, even if we disagree on the post.
My comment was neither inconsiderate nor obnoxious. It is the reality of AAX DSP; the same reality that existed when you purchased HDX. Perhaps you are sensitive. Where is Avid at fault? Because you thought "It's here" also meant a plethora of AAX DSP plugins? Although a very small number, AAX DSP plugins are currently available (and Avid, DTS, and plugin vendors have stated that more are on the way). If your plugins, or the ones you want, were not currently available in AAX DSP then, yes, you purchased HDX too soon. Don't blame Avid.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-22-2012, 04:37 AM
pmklein pmklein is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 545
Default Re: No AAX plugins???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnnspv View Post
My comment was neither inconsiderate nor obnoxious. It is the reality of AAX DSP; the same reality that existed when you purchased HDX. Perhaps you are sensitive. Where is Avid at fault? Because you thought "It's here" also meant a plethora of AAX DSP plugins? Although a very small number, AAX DSP plugins are currently available (and Avid, DTS, and plugin vendors have stated that more are on the way). If your plugins, or the ones you want, were not currently available in AAX DSP then, yes, you purchased HDX too soon. Don't blame Avid.
I'm not that sensitive. Perhaps you are just rude to people in your every day conversation. And your argument is extremely weak. You have just proved my point with your own words. "....a very small number, AAX DSP plugins are currently available (and Avid, DTS, and plugin vendors have stated that more are on the way)." Yes, a VERY small number. Not just "the ones I want". Like, almost zero. I can back my argument up with any number of quotes and video clips directly from the website and advertisements that do not mention the plugin issue AT ALL.
I contend that their statements (that a very small number of plugins are available) should be made in the same manner as the hyped ads for the hardware. You know why they are not? Because then nobody would actually
BUY the product until it was ready. If you can provide me with some examples of AVID telling people in their ads, up front, that there won't be any plugins available for their flagship system until some unspecified point in the future, I will gladly remove the entire post. If not, then I would suggest that you follow your own advice and "get over it".
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS : Plugins alliance, avid, flux, waves plugins, blastwave sound library Roll Buy & Sell 5 03-11-2013 06:20 AM
Copy/Paste plugins settings between different plugins? Zacsyd Pro Tools 10 9 05-02-2012 07:26 AM
Lateny Issue with PT8, 2009 mac Pro (OSX) and NI Plugins/Spectrasonic Plugins djtorch Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac) 1 01-14-2010 12:11 PM
Plugins missing in drop down list, but in plugins folder ?? mixingmadness 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 4 09-12-2007 10:27 AM
PLUGINS problem - paid for factory plugins, DON"T WORK!! rhinostylee 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 5 07-28-2007 10:59 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com