Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 07-31-2008, 09:13 PM

Default pro tools + macbook + ext. hard drive HELP!!!

Hello everyone,

I will buy a macbook soon, 2.4ghz 4gb..

I also want an M-Audio firewire interface and use M-Audio Pro Tools.
Since the macbook only have 250gb of space, I'm planing to buy an external hard drive rive.

Here is where my question start. I will be recording direct to external hard drive that will be connected to the macbook via usb 2.0.....
instrument---interface---(firewire)---macbook---(usb)---external hardrive

will this work? will I have any problems when recording, editing or mixing?.. or is better to record to the macbook using the interface to firewire port... and then moving the files to the external hardrive to edit and mix using the firewire port... thing is that the macbook only has one firewire port..

I will only be recording one instrument at a time, and it will be a guitar, bass or vocals. I also planning to use Reason and some plug ins for other instrument..

I'm new to this stuff... the past years I made my songs using a boss digital recorder with a zip drive, but know I want a little upgrade that I can afford..

Thanks to all for reading
Old 08-01-2008, 01:33 AM

Use an external firewire drive and daisy chain it with your interface. I plug my external into my 1814 and plug the 1814 into my mac. That's the only way it seems to work for me.

USB isnt up to recording for the most part.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
Use an external firewire drive and daisy chain it with your interface. I plug my external into my 1814 and plug the 1814 into my mac. That's the only way it seems to work for me.

thanks for the info
Old 08-01-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:

This really depends on how many tracks you're doing. I've had crashes from too much firewire traffic before! My preference is to use a MacBook Pro putting the interface on the built-in firewire port. I have a Firewire ExpressCard that plugs into the MBPro for my external FW drive. This GUARANTEES that the two devices are on separate FW busses.

BTW, this also happens on my G5. Just because it has multiple FW400 ports and a FW800 port doesn't mean they're on a separate buss. They are ALL SHARED. I also have a FW PCI card on my G5 for this very reason.

All traffic collisions ceased after widening the Firewire Freeway!!

Just an FYI...
Old 08-01-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:

This is pretty much your only option if you go with the macbook. And it is one of the reasons I went with the macbook pro, for the expresscard slot and getting fw devices on separate busses.

You should be ok, there are tons of people running their interfaces and external drive chained.

J
Old 08-01-2008, 09:53 AM

I agree with the advice above. Plug a FW400 drive into the open port on your interface. There is more to it though. For the low down on Firewire drives and Pro Tools read this page:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=23114

You'll see only drives of certain speeds and with certain chipsets are fully qualified.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:49 PM

Thanks to all for the information, really appreciated