How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2022, 05:26 PM

Default Pro Tools Problems

Hello all,

Guitarist here and I am having some trouble and I need some help. After years of using my old computer system and having trouble with Video Editing, Music Editing, Unreal programming and version control software, and a number of other things all not working properly, I finally decided to get a new computer system.

Now I have transferred a number of things to the new system one being the installer for Pro Tools 11 and I am trying to install it. First problem right of the bat was that Pro Tools wanted me to install QuickTime (!!!) Really!!! Okay, so I went and downloaded QT and tried to install it on my brand spanking new computer that only has some transferred files on it - I am using the old computer for everything else for the time being - and it wouldn't install. Neither would Pro Tools without QT. So I don't know what to do now. I did plug the iLok dongle into the new computer in case ProTools complained abut that. Just on the off chance my master account had a download I could use to get an installer and guess what there is no legacy installer for ProTools 11.2, oh no, there was one for Pro Tools 10 and one for ProTools 12.5, but, not for the copy I own, yay!

The plan was:
  • get ProTools up and running
  • Install the drivers for the Eleven Rack/Editor get that working - use at as in interface
  • Then BiasFX2/Amp2 and get the music side of the computer running

Then move onto everything else. Any help as to what I should do now, would be greatly appreciated. Because I am not thinking clearly at the moment, it's over 30C in the computer room, and the air-conditioner is not working in the lounge room, sweat is running down my back and now the cat wants the window open to let in more heat! Australian life in the summertime!

Regards,
V.

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP

Last edited by Vercingetorix; 01-01-2022 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 05:35 PM

Default Re: ProTools Problems

No much useful info here... starting with what exact operating system? (e.g. not "Windows 10" but what exact release?) What exact operating system were you coming from?

What exact version of Pro Tools 11? Is that OS compatible with the exact version of Pro Tools 11 you have? https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

If you need to upgrade Pro Tools versions from an old perpetual license you just missed out on a promotion to do that by a day or so. So now if you need to upgrade you'll likely have to buy a monthly or annual subscription.

I know you are heading towards Eleven Rack, but none of the issues here have anything to do with the Eleven Rack so you likely hurt yourself posting it here. But follow the DUC rules and please don't repost.

Eleven Rack editor... well that may be a crap shoot on Windows 10. Past posts on DUC about this. You may end up needing to live without the Editor if on Windows 10.

Eleven Rack drivers... you can find them online and all the compatibility info for you to understand.

If you are trying to use Windows 11 you will be living without a lot of stuff for a while.
Old 01-01-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
No much useful info here... starting with what exact operating system? (e.g. not "Windows 10" but what exact release?) What exact operating system were you coming from?
I used to use Win8.1, now onto Win 10, I can't be more specific than that because I don't know how. I've only had the new computer since Dec30, and only transferred files to it and that's it. I'm sure there is some sort of control Panel but too hot to go looking for it at the moment. I can give you all the specs of the computer though if you want, I have them handy!

Quote:
What exact version of Pro Tools 11? Is that OS compatible with the exact version of Pro Tools 11 you have? https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart
Protools 11.2.2 is the version I have.

Quote:
If you are heading towards Eleven Rack, but none of the issues here have anything to do with the Eleven Rack so you likely hurt yourself posting it here. But follow the DUC rules and please don't repost.
I posted here because I use an Eleven Rack and have always gotten help from people here over the years because of that. If you would kindly tell me where I should post this question I would gladly do just that. And the 11R is the NEXT thing I need to get working. So it has everything to do with the 11R. Pro-Tools -> Eleven Rack->all other stuff

Quote:
Eleven Rack editor... well that may be a crap shoot on Windows 10. Past posts on DUC about this. You may end up needing to live without the Editor if on Windows 10.
Quote:
Eleven Rack drivers... you can find them online and all the compatibility info for you to understand.
Have copies of all the drivers stored and ready to install.

Quote:
If you are trying to use Windows 11 you will be living without a lot of stuff for a while.
That is exactly what the computer store technician recommended.

And over the years Darryl, I don't remember you ever being so narky! Unless you live in Australia where it is fracking hot you don't really have an excuse to be so rude.

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP

Last edited by Vercingetorix; 01-01-2022 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
...I finally decided to get a new computer system...
Great. What computer did you get? Full specs? What OS? Is the OS fully updated?

I would NOT try to migrate any old (non-current) installers from the old computer to install on the new computer.

Rather, start by doing all AVID recommended system optimizations. For now at least, do not skip even one step in the AVID optimizations. Then, go to each manufacture's website and download the latest/current versions of: audio interface drivers, iLok drivers, Quicktime Essentials, and a compatible version of Pro Tools.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-01-2022, 06:19 PM

As should now be very obvious to you Pro Tools 11 is not supported on Windows 10 and you need to upgrade Pro Tools... except you can't anymore purchase a perpetual upgrade. So unless you have an active support plan and for some other reason have not used it to upgrade, you likely will need to purchase a subscription. But you could contact a Pro Tools reseller (one who actually knows what they are talking about, not sure about oz, but Vintage King would be my first choice in the USA) and maybe see if they can help you with the recently ended perpetual update plan promotion.

You find out what version of Windows you are on by Control Panel>System.

Significant changes in Windows 10 can and have broken stuff so pay attention if a version/date info is described when any vendor discusses compatibility (like Avid does for release versions).

And besides understanding all the compatibility info, planning out your installs before trying to do stuff also don't forget to properly optimize the computer. Start under "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page. And get SiSoft installed ready for future problems.
Old 01-01-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
And over the years Darryl, I don't remember you ever being so narky! Unless you live in Australia where it is fracking hot you don't really have an excuse to be so rude.
What? I was offering you help. You've posted on DUC enough by now that you should have worked out what sort of info is needed when asking for help. And you should be able to work out beginners stuff like Pro Tools compatibility without asking here. But I did not want to bring that up, I was trying to help you. But if you are going to piss and whine when folks offer you help for beginner idiot problems then you can go pound sand.
Old 01-01-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
... and one for ProTools 12.5...
Pro Tools 12.5 (or newer) should work on Windows 10.
Click for resume
Old 01-01-2022, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Great. What computer did you get? Full specs? What OS? Is the OS fully updated?
Asus mATX Mother Board
16GB 3200 MHz DDR4 Ram
I5 11th Gen
500GB SSD NVMe (primary)
1TB SSD SATA (Secondary)
RTX 3060 12GB
750W 80+ Power Supply
Windows 10 Home

And that was enough to do $2,800 AUD damage to my bank account - aarrrggghh. I wanted a better graphics card but the price was approaching $4,000 with that, supply chain issues and costs going up. One store quoted me $3,995 for the same specs above. The specs were given to me by one of the Lecturers in Unreal Game Development, so, he knew what he was talking about.

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 01-01-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
What? I was offering you help. You've posted on DUC enough by now that you should have worked out what sort of info is needed when asking for help. And you should be able to work out beginners stuff like Pro Tools compatibility without asking here. But I did not want to bring that up, I was trying to help you. But if you are going to piss and whine when folks offer you help for beginner idiot problems then you can go pound sand.
Pound sand, I would love to go for a run on a beach - unfortunately I live in rural Australia where there are no beaches. And I might add if I lived near a beach it would be significantly cooler.

Chill out!

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 01-01-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Asus mATX Mother Board
16GB 3200 MHz DDR4 Ram
I5 11th Gen
500GB SSD NVMe (primary)
1TB SSD SATA (Secondary)
RTX 3060 12GB
750W 80+ Power Supply
Windows 10 Home
Great. Take all Windows updates i.e. Windows 10 fully-up-to-date. Do all AVID recommended system optimizations. For now at least, do not skip even one step in the AVID optimizations. Not one... Run spyware and CCleaner (registry scan & cleaning scan). If you have already installed some old non-current drivers or software, then UNinstall all of that and run CCleaner reg/clean & reboot. Then, go to each manufacture's website and download latest/current compatible versions of: audio interface drivers, iLok drivers, Quicktime Essentials, and a compatible version of Pro Tools (like 12.5 in your case or any newer Pro Tools version). Do NOT try to install any old non-current drivers or software.
Click for resume