Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire and USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 11-06-2013, 05:56 PM

Default Mbox 3 Mini with Mavericks...Brand New User to Avid and home recording

Hi guys, first post here and first time buyer of any home recording equipment and a brand new iMac. I am a guitar player who is looking to record at home and have a lot of fun doing it.

With that said, I just purchased a much needed computer upgrade as well as a first time audio interface. I am a Mac user so I had saved up enough to finally buy the brand new iMac 27" 3.2Ghz icore5 just a few days ago. I also bought the Mbox 3 mini seeing as I am brand new to this whole thing and anything more than 150$ interface really would be unnecessary with my limited knowledge of this whole field.

With all that being said. I had my mbox min a few days before my iMac came so I couldn't do anything with it. Naturally I was very anxious for the iMac to come. It comes, and it has mountain lion installed. Doing what I assume most everybody does with a brand new machine, I downloaded Mavericks. After that I download the drivers online for my mbox 3 min (new iMacs don't have optical drives).

Im getting so excited at this point I can barely keep it in. After I install the drivers I was having trouble registering the mbox online so I called the number I was provided and registered it with somebody over the phone. This guy proceeds to tell me after registering it that protools express and my mbox mini are not supported with Mavericks. Seeing as Im new to this whole thing I had no idea what he was talking about. I couldn't comprehend what he was saying.

He recommended to contact apple and have them walk me through reinstalling mountain lion. To me that just sounds insane. So thats why I joined here. Obviously I did some google searches and realized that the uninstaller for the mini will not work with Mavericks which is very much true because I have tried. Luckily I did not install pro tools express.

Now here is my question for you guys. I am really freaked out here, I have just jumped into a new relm and was super excited but feel like I have made a huge mistake. I didn't see anything telling my not to download the drivers if you have Mavericks installed. Is this something that I really need to go back to mountain lion for or can i just wait it out until avid releases the new drivers for Mavericks?

150$ may not be much compared to what most of you guys spend on equipment but i feel like I just threw 150 out the window with this Mavericks mistake. Im really hoping that I can keep the mbox on my system and that a new driver download will fix the issue.

To be honest I'm not sure what the issues even are though. If I tried using my mbox with garage band is my computer gonna be damaged somehow. In all honesty though my main concern is if having the current mbox drivers already installed with Mavericks and it not allowing me to use the updated drivers for Mavericks when they finally do come out.

Sorry for the long post but its my first and I just wanted you guys to get a true felling for what Im dealing with right now.

Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to my new leap into the relm of home recording and hope that I didn't do long term damage to my computer or my mbox.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Mbox 3 Mini with Mavericks...Brand New User to Avid and home recording

Considering all the views and no responses I'm gonna assume that my post was too long lol.

Basically my question to you guys is do I have to worry about having installed my mbox 3 mini to my new iMac with mavericks? When avid releases a driver, is there a chance that it will not work for me since I installed the drivers onto Mavericks before it was supported?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Mbox 3 Mini with Mavericks...Brand New User to Avid and home recording

Welcome to the DUC!

Drivers and updates are on their way. Please refer to the following link:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=346026
Old 11-07-2013, 01:21 PM

Welcome to the DUC. I second Nicks post above and there should be no need to worry about the drivers you have already installed... When the new drivers and updates are released they will overwrite the current ones installed.

Happy Recording.

Litehousemuzik
Audio Mixing Services
Old 11-08-2013, 05:49 PM

awesome, thanks for the replies guys.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:58 PM

Do you know when the update will be available? and when it is available can you post it here?

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie289 View Post
Do you know when the update will be available? and when it is available can you post it here?

Thanks!
No, your computer will not be harmed if you attempt to use the Mbox. Will or does the MBox work? Now that is another question. In my experience, it takes Avid months to come out with drivers for the new Mac OS. They are not like companies such a MOTU who work with Apple during the development of the OS, so that they are prepared for the major new releases of the OS.

By the time the drivers are released, your new computer will probably have already prompted you two or three times to update the OS again. If you do it, for the security enhancements, bug fixes, etc., when the drivers are released in say, February, March for 10.9 and you will find yourself 'unqualified' for 10.9.3.
PT. 8.0.5, Logic Pro 9.1.8, Logic X, MACBOOK PRO - Intel, 2.66ghz, 8GB Ram w/HGST 1 TB 7200RPM internal HDD, Yamaha XS8 w/mLAN, Mavericks 10.9.4, G-Tech 500GB Ext. HD, WD MyBook Studio II 320GB, M-Audio FastTrack Pro, Roland VS-2480