Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2011, 06:22 PM

Default Do I REALLY NEED An External Hard Drive To Record?

Hello, all.

My question for you is: Do I really need an external hard drive to record on my laptop? I have 195 GB free out of 287 GB on my dual core (2.2 Ghz)/ 3 GB RAM computer. This seems like it is enough, but I'm not sure since my professor said he'd strongly recommend I buy one, yet my friend (who is also into recording) said I should be fine! I'm a little confused!

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:34 PM

Yes. It is required and recommended. It's not about having enough space, it's about your hd having as much bandwidth possible. While in a pinch you can use your system drive, you'll have much better results with an external drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2009 Mac Pro - Dual X5650 Xeon 6-core 2.66Ghz procs, 48GB of Ram, SATA 3 and USB 3.0 PCIe cards. R9 280X video card. macOS Sierra. Harrison Mixbus 32C, Studio One 3, Reaper, and pro tools 12 when I have to.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Do I REALLY NEED An External Hard Drive To Record?

No you absolutely don't *need* an external hard drive. You can spend hours, days, weeks trying to record without one. Maybe it will work, maybe it will work for a while, maybe it will randomly fail, maybe at the worst times. But hey isn't that going to be fun. Then when it does not you can come back and complain here about Pro Tools not being reliable.

It is nothing to do with how much disk space you have, it is to do with the latency sensitivity of Pro Tools and it wanting to be able to commit writes to that disk with no interference from other processes/the operating system contending for disk I/O

I think you will be better off following the Pro Tools recommended setup/configuration including an external recording drive, and ignore your "friend".
Old 03-18-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
you'll have much better results with an external drive.
Thanks, that really helps! I'll go get one.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It is nothing to do with how much disk space you have, it is to do with the latency sensitivity of Pro Tools and it wanting to be able to commit writes to that disk with no interference from other processes/the operating system contending for disk I/O

Ah, that makes a LOT more sense. Cool, thanks!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Yes. It is required and recommended. It's not about having enough space, it's about your hd having as much bandwidth possible. While in a pinch you can use your system drive, you'll have much better results with an external drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And once again, an external hard drive is neither recommended nor required.

What is recommended is that audio be recorded to a drive other than the system drive. That drive may be either internal or external.

But it is not required that audio be recorded to a drive other than the system drive.

See my post at http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=292063

However, you really should record audio on a drive other than the system drive...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-19-2011, 01:57 AM

The OP is talking about a laptop with no room for a second internal hard drive, and as such, an external drive is certainly recommended (by anyone that knows anything) and also required for optimal performance.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
The OP is talking about a laptop with no room for a second internal hard drive, and as such, an external drive is certainly recommended (by anyone that knows anything) and also required for optimal performance.
While I would agree that the OP probably doesn't own such a machine, Dell makes workstation-class laptops that can hold two drives.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m6500/pd

(Scroll down a bit and you'll even see "Digidesign" on one of the pictures).

So just because someone has a "laptop", it's not wise to assume that it can only hold one drive.

"Required" and "required for optimal performance" are not the same thing. Someone doing nothing but a vocal and an acoustic guitar might well be able to obtain all of the performance they need by recording to the internal drive on a newer-model high-performance laptop.

Of late we have seen several instances where a poster had either a Mac Pro or a PC, but only one internal drive, who had "read/heard" that they needed an "external" drive. In those instances they did not need an external drive; they could simply add another internal drive.

Given all of this, I stand by my advice...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-19-2011, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
While I would agree that the OP probably doesn't own such a machine, Dell makes workstation-class laptops that can hold two drives.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m6500/pd

(Scroll down a bit and you'll even see "Digidesign" on one of the pictures).

So just because someone has a "laptop", it's not wise to assume that it can only hold one drive.

"Required" and "required for optimal performance" are not the same thing. Someone doing nothing but a vocal and an acoustic guitar might well be able to obtain all of the performance they need by recording to the internal drive on a newer-model high-performance laptop.

Of late we have seen several instances where a poster had either a Mac Pro or a PC, but only one internal drive, who had "read/heard" that they needed an "external" drive. In those instances they did not need an external drive; they could simply add another internal drive.

Given all of this, I stand by my advice...
And I stand by mine, and that is....again...to the OP:
Yes, you need an secondary/dedicated audio drive if you want optimal performance.
I'll add: if your laptop will accept a second INTERNAL drive, all the better.
If not, you need an external drive.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
My laptop had dual bays as well. Many Asus laptops do. As well as some HP's, and Dells.

But i usually use an external E-Sata drive for recording when on the laptop, just for easier trading of files to the desktop. But internal is the way to go if you have 2 bays in your laptop, and eSata is the best performance you will get for an external.

to the OP:

USB drives are not supported with PT8.

USB 2.0 drives are supported with Pro Tools 9 on a Windows 7 PC.

Some have suggested that USB drives work fine with PT8 on a Windows 7 machine, and that may be the case, but I have not seen the doc. from Avid saying that. If there is one, some one please link me.

From Avid:

Quote:
IMPORTANT! You MUST use a secondary hard drive (not your main OS drive) for recording and playback of audio in Pro Tools.

Recording or playback from the OS (Operating System) drive is known to be problematic and the cause of many different error types. If you are using your system drive and encountering errors, the first thing you should do is get a compatible drive.

USB drives are not supported and are known to be problematic, so please do not use them with Pro Tools. If you're recording or playing back from a USB drive and are getting errors in Pro Tools, please switch to using a compatible external firewire drive or internal SATA/ATA/IDE drive and disconnect the USB drive.

Pro Tools supports recording and playback to a secondary drive that meets the following requirements:

7200 rpm or faster
9ms seek time or faster

Firewire drives must have the Oxford 911 (FW400 port), Oxford 912 (FW400 & FW800 ports) or Oxford 924 (FW800 ports) Bridge chip. USB drives are not supported and are known to be problematic.
Keep in mind the "USB" recommendation has been amended for PT9 on Windows 7.

And E-Sata is the best for an external drive. If you choose firewire, make sure it complies with the requirements above.