Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 03:46 PM

Default M-Powered vs. LE

Are there any real differences between M-Powered and LE other than the Audio I/O supported? Any changes in the software interface? I realize this is a very general question, but I haven't been able to find a side-by-side comparison anywhere on the DD website. If anyone could point me to a comparison document, it would be much appreciated.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: M-Powered vs. LE

Hello. Go to the main site and you can find it there.

Main Site> Products> Pro Tools LE & M Powered > Software Comparison.

The software will mostly be the same. The M Powered will not include the bundle of plug ins (Reason Adapted, Live Digidesign Edition, etc) and will NOT work with DV Toolkit, DigiTranslator and a Control 24 surface.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:41 PM

And don't forget that a 96k sample rate is supported with the cheapest of the M-Powered supported hardware, which it is not for the MBox. That would make the M-Powered software better. Oh, but then you wouldn't have the option of using the Control 24 with your AP2496, like you do with the MBox. :|

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 04-06-2005, 08:59 PM

Quote:
And don't forget that a 96k sample rate is supported with the cheapest of the M-Powered supported hardware, which it is not for the MBox. That would make the M-Powered software better. Oh, but then you wouldn't have the option of using the Control 24 with your AP2496, like you do with the MBox. :|
Plus, even with the cheapest m-audio card you get Midi, and 4 ins and outs, GSIF compatibilty. And since it is a PCI card you'll probably get a few extra Davec tracks like the 001 did.

If I was a new buyer, I would be scratchin' my head over that one. The 24/96 is an obvious choice over Mbox in regards to the above.

For some cheap PT editing stations in the studio, I think I will go with a few m-audio 24/96 based systems over the Mbox.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-06-2005, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Hello. Go to the main site and you can find it there.

Main Site> Products> Pro Tools LE & M Powered > Software Comparison.

The software will mostly be the same. The M Powered will not include the bundle of plug ins (Reason Adapted, Live Digidesign Edition, etc) and will NOT work with DV Toolkit, DigiTranslator and a Control 24 surface.
Found it. Thanks. Sounds like the base software is pretty much same, just doesn't include the extra goodies.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:51 PM

Quote:

Well, given a choice between Focusrite preamps, or the negligable over-hyped improvement of 96k sample rates, I think I'd take the Focusrites. That's just as far as "better" goes feature wise. I have an Mbox on my laptop right now, and am getting an 1814, so I'll have a more detailed opinion later.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:33 PM

dont forget to tack on $350!!!!!!!!!!! for pro tools m powerd software SOLD SEPERATELY
Old 04-06-2005, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Well, given a choice between Focusrite preamps, or the negligable over-hyped improvement of 96k sample rates, I think I'd take the Focusrites.
You really believe tyhat those Focusrite are any better. Dream on. They're focusrites in name only.
We have soem platinum channels at work, and they suck. No headroom, noisy and thin.

www.markhensley.tv
Old 04-07-2005, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Well, given a choice between Focusrite preamps, or the negligable over-hyped improvement of 96k sample rates, I think I'd take the Focusrites.
You really believe tyhat those Focusrite are any better. Dream on. They're focusrites in name only.
We have soem platinum channels at work, and they suck. No headroom, noisy and thin.
So you're saying that the A/D converters and mic pre are better in the M-Audio gear? Have you ever owned any M-Audio gear? Well, I have and it's OK, pretty good bang-for-the-buck, but I don't think it holds up to any of the true Digi gear in comparison. An MBox isn't exactly known for it's pristine sound, but the M-Audio stuff comes in at even a little below that.

Luckily the 1814 has ADAT lightpipe to avoid the built in converters.

My point is that if you are going to say it's "better" because of it's ability to use a higher sampling rate, you may have be overlooking the things that make a bigger difference in terms of sound quality. The signal chain is only as good as it's weakest link.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Plus, even with the cheapest m-audio card you get Midi, and 4 ins and outs,
Shane
4 ins and outs has always been somewhat of a slight of hand with M-Audio. It's really 2 analog in/out plus 2 S/PDIF in/out.