Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2004, 07:30 AM

Default FXpansion

please let me get this straight....

if i buy FXapnsion...i can use ANY vst plug-in?...no i-lok?...no dongle?...any mac compatible VST?...

do they have to be NEW VST plug-ins to work with 10.x.x and 6.x.x?????

please, someone help me...i mean this REALLY changes things if i can use my VST stuff inside of 10.x/6.x...right?...

detroitkruk
Old 06-16-2004, 08:51 AM

Default Re: FXpansion

If the plugs in question use some form of copy protection, you will still need to use it. The FXpansion software is a wrapper for VST plugs to make them appear to be RTAS plugs (or rewire if you buy that version) to the host application, in this case, ProTools. It doesn't defeat copy protection.

If the plugs work on OSX, then you should be fine. I haven't tried to use older plugs and I won't be trying that since I don't own any.

I can tell you that it works, and works pretty well. I got the FXpansion wrapper so I could use my UAD-1 cards in ProTools. I don't think much about FXpansion unless I am adding new plugs. It just works and that makes me very happy
Old 06-16-2004, 08:52 AM

I posted my situation about how Native Instruments Xpress keys (Pro-53 specifically) did not function properly with the fxpansion vst/rtas wrapper.I eventually found a workaround but I was basically told by NI and a DUCer that if a plug doesn't work properly ...that it's the wrapper's fault. Apparently it is the wrapper's (fxpansion) responsibilty to be compatible with the plug..and not the other way around.So in my experience, the answer to your question is "MAYBE".
Apogee Rosetta 200/ UA LA-610
Genelec 8030A/7050b
McDSP, Waves, Sony, URS, Spectrasonics, BFD, Altiverb
Old 06-16-2004, 09:01 AM

The wrapper works well...I would say 95% of the time, I myself haven't ran into something that didn't work with it but I've heard somethings. Yes big or small you can make wrap any vst, but it may not work.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:22 AM

Quote:
If the plugs in question use some form of copy protection, you will still need to use it. The FXpansion software is a wrapper for VST plugs to make them appear to be RTAS plugs (or rewire if you buy that version) to the host application, in this case, ProTools. It doesn't defeat copy protection.

If the plugs work on OSX, then you should be fine. I haven't tried to use older plugs and I won't be trying that since I don't own any.

I can tell you that it works, and works pretty well. I got the FXpansion wrapper so I could use my UAD-1 cards in ProTools. I don't think much about FXpansion unless I am adding new plugs. It just works and that makes me very happy

Eric does this mean you have more than 1 card running smoothly ? If so Id like to converse with you about your setup as I and others have had problems wrapping 2 cards
Old 06-16-2004, 11:18 PM

I've got the wrapper and I love it but it doesn't work with every plug that I've tried. I purchased it in an attempt to try to integrate Soundsoap for noise reduction and it was a dismal failure. Once I had both of them loaded onto my computer it was easy to see why they wouldn't work together. At first I was disappointed until I realized how many free plugs I could download. Now I'm glad that I've got it despite having to shell out 500 clams for DINR LE (which suits my NR needs quite well). Just type "free vst osx" (if that's your OS) into a search engine. My favorite at the moment is the Blockfish compressor which is one of the fish fillets at digitalfishphones.com

All the best,
+=G=+
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 06-17-2004, 08:26 AM

Here's my tests of free OSX VSTs with the wrapper, also with links to the VSTs. themselves :
http://www.kvr-vst.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=479837

For a few high-CPU plugs (Crystal, Carbon, DS-404 etc), I use Plogue Bidule instead to host them, seems to handle memory better.

Old 06-17-2004, 09:20 AM

While we are on this topic, has anyone tried the wrapper on the Oddity synth? Everytime I try the wrapper on it, the program just quits automatically on me.....
Old 06-17-2004, 11:50 AM

there's a good forum for FXpansion and specifically the VST2RTAS wrapper on the KVR-VST website. Click on the Forums link about a third of the way down on the left hand side of the site, then scroll down to the FXpansion Users forum. You'll see a number of threads, including sticky threads specifically for the most recent version of the VST2RTAS adapter. It's updated frequently.

Hope this helps.