Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 08-01-2018, 11:43 AM

Default want to create a custom KB shortcut for scroll on/off, macro keyboard?

Hi, PT is world's only daw (true) without a hotkey to disable page scrolling and vice versa, but even worse, it can not be done during playback (again unlike all other DAWs in existence).

In Mac, i created a shortcut to enable, powerclaw spacebar, very easily, then powerclaw N to disable it. Yes, playback has to be stopped, but it's SO much faster than navigating to the menu every time.. and i do it *alot*.

Apparently there are some gurus here with making windows shortcuts..

Now, i have investigated the app that can do it and i just can't understand it. I am trying to learn it before my new windows machine arrives...

I just honestly do not get it. I will admit I am completely dumb on this matter..

Is there any chance someone could walk me through creating that shortcut when my win machine comes? It's due in a week, which is why I am trying to set up something now, to give advance notice.

I am absolutely happy to pay for your time.your normal studio rate for whatever time we spend... and once i have learned, at least I will understand how to create further ones. Skype is fine, or whatsapp.

I am also buying a gaming keyboard as i wanted something with illumination where i can pick the colour myself, and it has a whole bunch of extra keys for "macros".

Does anyone know (why i haven't chosen one yet), if any of these keyboard macro keys can be programmed to access certain menu functions of a specific app?

Thanks so much in advance!
Old 08-01-2018, 12:47 PM

Default Re: want to create a custom KB shortcut for scroll on/off, macro keyboard?

Good news for you.
2018.7 allows changing scrolling while the transport is active.

Autohotkey is probably the best to use for Windows.
If I get time, I'll look to set it up (but on my Mac all day today)
Old 08-01-2018, 02:39 PM

Default Re: want to create a custom KB shortcut for scroll on/off, macro keyboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
...i created a shortcut to enable, powerclaw spacebar, very easily, then powerclaw N to disable it. Yes, playback has to be stopped, but it's SO much faster than navigating to the menu every time.. and i do it *alot*.
Which of the four types of page scrolling did you use in your original script?
  • After Playback
  • Page
  • Continuous
  • Center Playhead

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-01-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Which of the four types of page scrolling did you use in your original script?
  • After Playback
  • Page
  • Continuous
  • Center Playhead
Hi there Shan, I only ever use page.. in any daw.

Cheers,

Theo
Old 08-01-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Good news for you.
2018.7 allows changing scrolling while the transport is active.

Autohotkey is probably the best to use for Windows.
If I get time, I'll look to set it up (but on my Mac all day today)
That's great news re transport active and enable/disable scroll.. WOW if i can get a shortcut for it, i'll be in PT page scroll heaven! (for the first time ever).

Thanks so much for the quick response to both of you.. Much appreciated.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
...if i can get a shortcut for it, i'll be in PT page scroll heaven! (for the first time ever)...
The first step is to download AutoHotKey.

My suggestion is to make this specific custom shortcut behave as a toggle. Instead of two separate shortcuts, it will just be one that will toggle between "No Scrolling" and "Page". If there's interest in this, I'll give you a hand.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-02-2018, 06:52 PM

Thanks Shan.. auto hot key sounds like the answer..

unfortunately, I can not come to grips with using it..

My dell order has been cancelled, it's a long story in the other topic..

so what i will do if it's ok with you, is contact you when whatever windows machine I buy is in front of me, with PT and Autohotkey installed.

Does that work for you mate?

Cheers and thanks again.. it is extremely appreciated.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I am also buying a gaming keyboard as i wanted something with illumination where i can pick the colour myself, and it has a whole bunch of extra keys for "macros".
I definitely recommend a good gaming keyboard for Pro Tools, as there are many advantages. Check out:
Shane

Old 08-02-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
...contact you when whatever windows machine I buy is in front of me, with PT and Autohotkey installed.
Sounds good.

Shane

Old 08-02-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
I definitely recommend a good gaming keyboard for Pro Tools, as there are many advantages. Check out:
Shane
I heard Cherry brown is best overall compromise for typing AND a bit of game playing.. do you agree?

Problem is they all use 2 usb ports which is a bother.. especially if i buy something like an AIO where USB is at a premium.. from all the research i have done it has been advised NOT to use a kb and mouse on a usb hub.. but maybe for pro tools/cubase that will be fine, just not gaming...