Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2003, 03:17 PM

Default I\'m wired

Well, we all know that better gear is, well...better. But what happens when you connect it all with crap cabeling, then all the money you invested to have that extra shimmer in your vocal is useless, all because of bad cabeling.

So here's my question. Basically, what are the best cables to use for mic/instrument/DI to recording snake? Who makes them? I hear a lot about Mogami. Well shielded, nice veriety, good connectors. Any suggestions?

And that reminds me, about the recording snakes. My plan is to have two snakes in the live room (probably build into the wall and floor) going to the control room. These snakes aren't going to stretch more than 30 ft, but they need to be good and studry enough so that they won't color or ruin the sound. I saw these http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...etail/base_id/ 54200 . What do you think? Are there snakes out there that may be recording specific?

Which reminds me again! Sorry for my ignorant questions, but this is a tough problem to figure out! When the snake comes into the control room, how do I connect the lines to the various rackmount equipment when the cords don't have enough length to go a seperate direction?? Do I just extend it with another mic cord? WIll that decrease the sound quality?

Anyone wanna tackle this one? Thanks.
-Andy
Old 01-23-2003, 04:29 PM

Default Re: I\'m wired

You're musicians friend link didn't come up, but I probably wouldn't have reccomended it any way. You need to order bulk multichannel cable. I strongly suggest Mogami. You can go with a few others, but Mogami is great for durability, flexibility, workability, and quality all together. It's arguably the best all around studio cable made. Pacific Radio in Burbank sells all cable and connectors you need. I have never mailed ordered from them, but I have been in their store many times and highly reccommend it. Pacific Radio LINK
However, you are going to need someone to make it and they may want to use their own supplies, but again, I strongly suggest you go with Mogami cable and SwitchCraft or Neutrik connectors.
You also just flat out need a studio consultant if you're asking about how to connect wires to the gear. You may also want to buy a patchbay to tie everything in. You can buy many different types...at a place like www.Markertek.com, I WOULD NOT buy your Aux stuff at Guitar Center or Musicians Friend or Sam Ash Etc.
If you learn how to solder that can save you tons of money to get a superior product BUT it is a lot of time, and you don't want to compromise on your connectivity.

Hope that gets you started for the time being!
Old 01-23-2003, 04:41 PM

Default Re: I\'m wired

Well, I've really got only a few pieces of outboard gear that I use, in fact, only two. I try to keep everything in the digital realm without taking anything out into the evil world or analog. well, I can't say that, because the two pieces of gear I'll be using are used purely to add some analog tone back to my sound. The Main vocal mic is routed through an Avalon VT-737SP before it gets to the system. Thats only one extra connection so far. Then I have the final mix slapped across an Avalon VT-747SP, so thats two outboard connections. That's all!! So with that in mind, I don't need to worry about a patchbay. Any thoughts?