Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2017, 04:34 AM

Default Re: HDX Latency

Quote:
Originally Posted by martthie_08 View Post
This bug went away with ProTools 12 or are you still having troubles?

Still having regular problems. Delay comp is broken. Lets get avid to take this very very seriously.
Pt12.4 hdx, 64 gig ram 24 gig cached, 12 core only one track recording can cause it. Yes occassionally restarting helps but thats BS in a pro environment. Please fix this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
NomadicWax.com
Old 05-03-2017, 05:31 AM

I'm curious. What is the cue mix being fed from? How are you sending the cue mix?
I've yet to have this issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notable View Post
Still having regular problems. Delay comp is broken. Lets get avid to take this very very seriously.
Pt12.4 hdx, 64 gig ram 24 gig cached, 12 core only one track recording can cause it. Yes occassionally restarting helps but thats BS in a pro environment. Please fix this.
Have you started a support case with Avid?
Old 05-03-2017, 04:30 PM

Not recently. I will try in few weeks when my schedule opens.

NomadicWax.com
Old 05-04-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notable View Post
Not recently. I will try in few weeks when my schedule opens.
I realize saying this sounds like blaming the victim, but I ask about a support case because that's the only way to get Avid to "take this very, very seriously."

We can rant until we're blue around here and it won't make a lick of difference because no one who can do anything about it is reading this, and even if they were, this forum isn't part of the documentation path that eventually leads to resolution.

The way to get something fixed is accumulation of support cases. If no one reports it, Avid assumes it doesn't matter enough to get top-of-the-list attention.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:59 PM

Maybe try running the latest version 12.7.1, that does have the bugs fixed.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:51 AM

for me this bug disappeared completely with the move to PT12.

are you also experiencing this bug on new sessions that have been created from scratch in PT12?

maybe also try trashing preferences if you performed an update from PT11...
Old 05-07-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martthie_08 View Post

are you also experiencing this bug on new sessions that have been created from scratch in PT12?

maybe also try trashing preferences if you performed an update from PT11...

Yes, it shows up sporadically, new sesh, or old.
Trashing prefs, does not help.
A complete restart sometimes does.

thanks

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com
Old 06-11-2017, 04:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback and I agree with the idea that direct discussion with TS is always helpful for the company and our issues. I will experiment with a newer OS and newer version of PT this week. I have waited on hold a few times while doing the trouble shooting but never actually spoke to a tech, but I will keep trying. I have spoken directly to some avid people who have known of the issue. I also post to ideal scale frequently so I'm am trying to keep the information in the public and avid arena. I rarely have time to trouble shoot, discuss it with tech support, do the recommended tests and get back in touch to report back with updated information. Usually I figure out a solution and get back to work. Todays approach is to make two new fresh start up disks with different os and matching recommended pt versions 12.4 versus 12.71 ( and uad versions) , optimize both for PT use and check the behaviors when changing between sample rate sessions and their delay cmp behaviors. It seems like in my case the hardware doesn't like the sample rate changes. The system doesn't switch between sessions with different sample rates gracefully( It requires recycling the system.... )so I'm curious if that plays a role in delay cmps sporadic inconsistency. Im also not sure the latency issues are the same as the delay compensation issues. Just so you know... I use no plugins on the auxes or master faders and the analog out of 7 channels go directly to a hearback system from auxes dedicated to each physical out. Thanks D

NomadicWax.com
Old 06-17-2017, 11:55 AM

So I finally cleared the schedule to trouble shoot this. As with many stubborn audio issues it was more than one problem. First the erratic behavior seems to have been an unhappy System drive that was not fixed by system reinstall. Booting from another fresh system drive helped stabilize the whole rig. With a new ssd OSX drive working I got a bunch of sessions through the door. I will test the latency issues with the new drives and new PT version 12.7.1 and put the info here. I am also pretty sure the sluggishness to change sample rates when moving from session to session was an artifact of the OSX drive having problems and the pt library files that were not removed by session changes, pt reinstalls or OS reinstalls. I will get back to testing changing the amount of HDIO's or Lynx Auroras and then the systems ability be consistent with the latency. So booting from a brand new, reformated fresh OS drive with fresh PT fixed many of the issues. Next we I will measure the latency and test various plugins and 'm tempted to rebuild my pt tracking template which includes my monitoring setup as well.

NomadicWax.com