Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2015, 07:06 PM

Default Reinstalling Pro Tools 8 on Snow Leopard

What an idiot I am. Decided to upgrade my Mac OSX from 10.5.8 all the way to Yosemite without checking the compatibility against Pro Tools 8! Doh!
Two weeks later and after many chats with the nice Apple support folk (they were good) I have now got the OSX to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 but don't know how to get my Pro Tools back up. I bought the original Pro Tool LE 7.8 just as the free upgrade to version 8 applied which is what I have been using without a glitch for five years plus. My question is, do I go back to installing 7.8 then follow all the links I had for the free upgrades (thankfully I still have all the links).
If anyone can offer any advice it is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Reinstalling Pro Tools 8 on Snow Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
What an idiot I am. Decided to upgrade my Mac OSX from 10.5.8 all the way to Yosemite without checking the compatibility against Pro Tools 8! Doh!
Two weeks later and after many chats with the nice Apple support folk (they were good) I have now got the OSX to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 but don't know how to get my Pro Tools back up. I bought the original Pro Tool LE 7.8 just as the free upgrade to version 8 applied which is what I have been using without a glitch for five years plus. My question is, do I go back to installing 7.8 then follow all the links I had for the free upgrades (thankfully I still have all the links).
If anyone can offer any advice it is greatly appreciated.
Well, you know, there is neither an officially released version of PTLE7.8 (the last version was 7.4.2, 7.8 never existed)
nor was there ever any upgrade from LE7 to LE8 (LE8 was a full and paid version). Obviously there is something wrong.
Anyway it´s not my business finally.

Install this combo update
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?locale=de_DE
then you may install LE8.0.3 first, then (without opening PT before)
the LE8.0.5 update. Do not install any extra driver for your audio interface, all drivers were included in the LE8.0.3/LE8.05
installers already.

You further may know that you will need a LE8 serial number which you will have to put in on the first time opening of Pro
Tools and you definitely will not be able to run Pro Tools LE (7 or 8) without a fitting original Digidesign audio interface as well.

There you can get a LE8 serial number only or a fitting audio interface incl. LE8 serial. Whatever you may need finally.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Avid-Digi...item21012314d6
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mbox-2-mi...item1a06c0b304

There you can download LE8.0.3 and the LE8.0.5 update if you have got a serial and a Digidesign audio interface.
http://secure.digidesign.com/service...rticleId=43353

All the best to you.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Reinstalling Pro Tools 8 on Snow Leopard

Hello VRW,

Much appreciate the info and your time.

Just to clarify, my original PT version is actually 7.4 (now that I have checked the disc again) and certainly here in Australia, the upgrade to PT 8 LE was available for people with the then current 7.4.
My hardware interface is the MBox Pro 2 tat came with the package. It's all legit and thankfully I've kept all my activation codes and have also found my downloads on my AVID (was Digidesign) account.

Thanks once again, good karma to you

swampdonkey