Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2013, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Mavericks 10.9 & Mbox mini update still not working

Dear Darryl,

I can assure you that if everyones problems are not 'exactly' the same they are very, very similar.

My problem was the the same as, xeraphones, ralphgayeds, and nodligs on this thread alone as well as quite a few other threads on this board and others.

The uninstaller included in the latest driver 1.2 (released for Mavericks) does not uninstall any files when running Mavericks (at least on my machine).
Try it for yourself.

Yes I deleted them manually but the Mbox still did not pass audio.

My Symptoms:

Updated to Mavericks.

Updated Mbox Driver to 1.2
I never installed the 1.1.3 driver on mavericks.

Update to PT 11.0.3

And yes I have rolled back to OS X 10.8.5
and all is now grand and dandy . . .

Thankyou for your help and suggestions but there is definitely a problem with the current mbox mini driver at least on some machines iMacs? (V1.2)

Monterey 12.4

Mac Studio M1 Max 32Gb

Pro Tools 2022.6
Old 11-17-2013, 11:30 AM

Default Mavericks 10.9 & Mbox mini update still not working

I am not saying there is not a problem, there may well be, but sone problem reports I am seeing about this seem to be user error or use of the old drivers. And Avid is communicating loudly about the 1.1.3 drivers and uninstaller being broken on Mavericks, so we know there is a problem with that. And there are absolutely problems on this thread that seem different (and one a clear user mistake, likely very different from the others).

Again even if there might be widespread problems it is hard to ever get to the bottom of those with just "I am having problems too" reports. For example basic sequence of what you did is not totally clear ... e.g. Did you have the 1.1.3 drivers installed on Mountain Lion and did you uninstall them before upgrading to Mavericks where you then installed the 1.2 drivers? Or did you upgrade to Mavericks and then try to uninstall the 1.1.3 drivers some how? (that would be a bad sequence to do given the Avid warnings about driver problem).

What happened when the uninstall failed to work? What version uninstaller were you trying to use on what version of installed driver on what OS X version. I get the impression you missed or ignored the warnings about the uninstaller, did not uninstall the drivers before upgrading to Mavericks and then tried installing 1.2 over the top of the 1.1.3 drivers on Mavericks. Is that right? Did you then try using the 1.2 driver uninstaller to clean things off (I do not know if that will work or not). Did you try manually uninstalling kext and prefpane files? (again that is a logical step to try, it may not be enough).
Old 11-17-2013, 12:13 PM

Hi Darryl,

In my case,

I updated to Mavericks then updated to PT 11.0.3.

I was unaware of the updated MBox mini 1.2 driver ( it was only posted on 12th Nov I think?) and all seemed to be working fine. In fact I was working for a whole day without a bother, seemingly using the 1.1.3 driver in Mavericks.

The following morning after a system start up - I noticed the reported no audio output problem from PT 11.0.3 Logic Pro and the system.

This is when I found the link to the updated driver page here,

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...x-Mini-Drivers

It hadn't been available for very long, and I found it as a result of a google search.

I next ran the uninstaller included and the 1.2 driver download. It reports the uninstall was successful and lists the files moved to the Trash - this is when I noticed that the files were still in their original locations and not in the Trash. I then uninstalled manually including the kext and prefpane files.

Reinstalled the 1.2 driver but still no sound output.

Strangely there was some output from the Quicktime player although this was distorting badly and clearly not right.

The only thing I did not do was uninstall 1.1.3 before upgrading to Mavericks.

Maybe I should have done?

Be interested to know if anyone is running PT11.0.3 on an iMac with an MBox mini without issue.

Hope this is of some help, thanks for your advice Darryl.

Monterey 12.4

Mac Studio M1 Max 32Gb

Pro Tools 2022.6
Old 11-17-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebhoye View Post
The only thing I did not do was uninstall 1.1.3 before upgrading to Mavericks.

Maybe I should have done?
At this point, and I don't have any internal knowledge of specifically what Avid changed or what causes the uninstall problem, but yes I'd be trying to remove any non-Maverick compatible drivers before upgrading to Maverics. I would have hoped that Avid would try to make the 1.2 driver/uninstaller clean up 1.1.3 left over installs, if there was an uninstaller compatibility problem here, but maybe there is something there that is just totally broken with OS X. Who knows I may have all this confused. And I don't have an Mbox 3 Mini to test this with, and probably would not want to try out all the install/uninstall permutations anyhow. Maybe somebody from Avid could/would speak up on this.

Cheers

Darryl
Old 11-18-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebhoye View Post
Ralph, I have exactly the same issues as you with my mbox mini and it is widely reported in other threads and across the internet effecting the mbox and other avid hardware. The Driver simply doesn't work!

I also noticed that the uninstaller included with the 1.2 Driver does not uninstall anything! Avid have dropped the ball here, by releasing 11.0.3 and the new driver lots of users assumed it was ok to move to mavericks, it is free after all!

Sadly this is not the case, Avid really need to sort this out asap.

Only solution for me was to roll back to 10.8.5 in which the mbox mini works just fine.

Im having the same problem as others; mbox mini 3 still isn't working after the update. I was wondering, how do you roll back to 10.8.5?? I tried getting it back and couldn't and then called apple support and they told me that they wouldn't give me mountain lion back and that I was basically SOL until a patch came from avid. Any help is appreciated b/c my mbp is useless to me as of now.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:31 AM

No the audio output is not working through the Mbox mini and Genelec. Actually it's not working anywhere. And i believe the problem is with the driver. Can you please update me as soon as possible to see if i should switch to the old operating system or replace my Mbox.
Thank you,
Old 11-18-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie289 View Post
Im having the same problem as others; mbox mini 3 still isn't working after the update. I was wondering, how do you roll back to 10.8.5?? I tried getting it back and couldn't and then called apple support and they told me that they wouldn't give me mountain lion back and that I was basically SOL until a patch came from avid. Any help is appreciated b/c my mbp is useless to me as of now.
Grrr yet another "I'm having the same problem" post. With no information about what exactly has been tried, and there are lots of things to try listed on this thread.

You have a backup? That you made before deciding to do experimental brain surgery on your system? If not go buy yourself Carbon Copy Cloner and start making image backups to another disk drive (at least two other, preferably external drives that you can put somewhere safe and rotate backups through them). Test each backup boots and works OK after you make it.

Did you purchase Mountain Lion in the past from the App Store? if you you'll still have it there and be able to download it, build a bootable DVD-ROM if needed, etc.

Otherwise just buy the disk from Apple. http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6...-mountain-lion
Old 11-18-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie289 View Post
apple support told me that they wouldn't give me mountain lion back and that I was basically SOL until a patch came from avid.
Ouch nice customer support from the Manzana peeps

You made a backup image b/F you upgraded right? Just start booting from that backup
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 AM

Hi Darryl,

Here's the screenshot for the Audio Midi output.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 7.10.05 PM.jpg (57.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-20-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodlig View Post
I have exactly the same problem. I thought that some software on my Mac Mini 2010 was causing the problem so I erased my drive (first saving all my important files) After reinstalling Mavericks, I arrived at the point where all I had were the mac's original apps. I launched iTunes selecting mbox mini as my audio out. The sound came through perfectly and I listened to my favourite tracks as I reloaded all my apps. Closed iTunes and launched PT 11 selecting mbox mini as my playback engine. And....... back to the same old "no audio out"! Hardware connected - check ; streaming - check - no sound. And no sound when playing iTunes anymore! So the only conclusion that can be drawn is - Mavericks didn't kill my mbox mini - PT 11 11.0.3 did. My Apogee ONE is working very well with PT 11.0.3 once I had set up the correct audio path. Avid need to get the mbox mini talking to PT11.0.3. ASAP
Have to say: Kudos to Avid. In the old Digidesign days PT updates followed Mac OSX updates by almost ten months