Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-25-2018, 01:23 AM

Default Destructive Record punch-ins slightly out of sync.

I cannot for the life of me understand while dropping to record on this session resulted on punch-ins to be slightly out of sync and creating glitches on the drop-in rec point. I know I must be forgetting something - I am quite tired - but I cannot point out what I have not selected.
  • I was working on this specific timeline were Destructive Punch was not a good option.
  • I used Destructive record instead.
  • Delay Comp was on. Not a single track was exceeding the max delay compensation figure.
  • Ample pre-roll in.
  • A Cedar DNS 2000 unit was the only hardware insert
Now that I typed this, and brought it in context, I'm thinking the DNS 2000 could be the culprit. There is another option on the I/O window regarding compensating record pass. I'll try again tomorrow but if someone knows anything else please do share.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Destructive Record punch-ins slightly out of sync.

record pass compensation will correct the converter latency... so will be a small effect. How much (in samples at what sample rate) are things out? That will be a clue for folks here. And what is the IO buffer size?
Old 11-25-2018, 11:37 AM

I have had this problem with destructive punch but not with destructive record. I'm curious to see other issues.

sent from a stupid phone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2018, 01:32 PM

2018.10 fixes the destructive punch issues.

Destructive record (for me at least) has always needed at least 2 second pre and post roll.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:32 AM

Yeah, I just upgraded from 12.4 which I had been on forever because it was so stable to 2018.10.0 and was surprised to find out my destructive record workflow was no longer working the same.

In 12.4 I used to command + control click my record tracks to turn the delay comp to blue, that way I could destructive record smoothly with no pops or clicks (and with a 2-sec pre and post roll).

Suddenly in 2018.10.0 this wasn't working, my destructive record punch-ins sync was off creating clicks, and my compensation values were changing, regardless of whether I clicked my record tracks to blue or not. I was getting pops everywhere and it was driving me crazy.

What I found to be the solution was NOT to command + click the tracks to turn them blue, instead leave them with their normal delay compensation on as usual, and set all the record tracks into Input Monitor mode. Once all my record tracks were in Input Monitor mode when recording everything flowed right and had the right delay compensation and there were no clicks or sync issues and everything recorded as normal. I still use my 2-sec pre and post roll for safety, but everything worked right with destructive record doing it this way.

This has been my findings so far, I haven't had much time to delve deeper, and I just upgraded to 2018.10.0 so I'm not sure what is normal functionality or what is being wonky, so I'd be curious to hear from everyone else, but this has been my discovery so far. I hope this helps.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:06 PM

I've been working in Input monitor mode and using Destructive Record. PT 2018.7 and now 2018.10. 2:00 pre and post roll, no pops. But I'm not using any hardware inserts.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:21 PM

I'm assuming you both mean no pops or bad punches when you play back since input monitoring doesn't let you hear the punch. Right?

Old 02-22-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTor View Post
I'm assuming you both mean no pops or bad punches when you play back since input monitoring doesn't let you hear the punch. Right?

Correct. I usually save my record range as a memory location so I can check playback. I started using destructive record when I had trouble with Destructive Punch - I guess I should try DP again.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:52 PM

Frustrating. I miss mag dubbers. :)

I was having trouble with Destructive Punch for awhile and was resigned to rerecording after the producers had left. This last mix, though, I changed the whole clocking setup on our stage AND stumbled on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverson View Post
What I found to be the solution was NOT to command + click the tracks to turn them blue, instead leave them with their normal delay compensation on as usual,
It was a lot like using a dubber, check input vs playback before punching in, then punching on the fly. I can't remember a single bad punch in that mix. :)