Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-20-2013, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Apollo 16 and HD Native

Yes, were's all the DSP plugs......?? Very limited for expensive hardware
Old 04-20-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
Yes, were's all the DSP plugs......?? Very limited for expensive hardware
I don't understand your point.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 04-20-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
Put me in the camp where 8ms is too much.

At PT10 I went with MH ULN8 and only track with the low latency path in the ULN8. Better than my old HD rig for timing. Can track through plug ins (like Apollo) but only the plugins in the Metric Halo box (not on PT tracks -- again just like apollo - though UAD has a much bigger suite of plugs to choose from!).

Punches are a bit painful unless mutetone is working that day.

It seems the only real path going forward with PT11 is with at least an HDN system -- 2ms is cool, 8ms -- not so much for me! But an 8 channel in and out PT11 system is not cheap.
Everything I am reading is its less than 3ms. That's where I just don't understand the previous points made in this thread?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 04-20-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFaris View Post
I think I found my solution. Ill get the Apollo 16 and pay the HD upgrade 599 . Abandon all Avid Hardware and still get all the benefits of HD.

After researching the Pros and Cons of a HDX and 8x8x8 upgrade from my TDM and 192. I think this is the best way to go. Also HD Native has more benefits than going HDX.

I am shocked that people invested in a limited DSP card.

It is funny I would think that they would offer people who bought there hardware a break on the PT11 upgrade
"An addition to the original post above"

Expensive hw interface card with dsp to run dsp plug-ins.......not many dsp plugs.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Please know I am not challenging you. I am honestly just trying to get all this right. I mentioned what your experiences were over at that massive thread at GS and they all told me that they have no latency at all.

Could you please take a look at their comments and let me know what your thoughts are? It's likely that I am getting this mixed up. Here is a link:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...eview-182.html

Thanks,

Barry
Barry, we're not quite on the same page here. I'm referring to tracking through ProTools plug-ins, rather than UAD plug-ins. UAD plug-ins (unless using the high latency plug-ins) have virtually no latency through Console.

The RTL that I am quoting would be in reference to plug-ins inside of ProTools, or using virtual instruments.

Last edited by DUCHUNTER; 04-25-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:13 PM

I have an Apollo 16 running in PT11. I have MAJOR regret. It will not use the DSP in my super awesome brand new stupidly powerful Mac, and the DSP in the Apollo (all four chips) MAXES OUT with only....are you ready.....7 NEVE 1073 plugs inserted. The Neve 1073 plug in takes a whopping 40.7% DSP of a single chip PER instance !! There are 4 chips in the A16. It would take an A16 PLUS TWO Custom Satellites' to run a Neve on every channel. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't be using a Neve on every channel, but the best sounding plugs take massive DSP. Here is the link to the plugs usage.

http://www.uaudio.com/support/uad/co...nce-chart.html

If I was doing it again, I would buy a system that can use ALL the resources available, and not just what's inside it !

BIG MISTAKE !!!

My 2 cents