Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-10-2022, 04:13 AM

Default Re: Any benefit to TDM in 2021?

^^^ exactly, one of the most important things is finding a vendor and products with high quality drivers and good ongoing driver support so your interface will have a useful lifespan. Especially given Apple transitioning to new silicon… all the clunker old interfaces you mention will not make that transition. Good vendors of current interface products already have their drivers ported to Apple silicon. Even without Apple silicon changes Apple is capable of breaking compatibility frequently, requiring new driver releases. Ain’t anybody at Avid doing that for these post end-of-life products.

You are living in the past if you are trying to look for interfaces from Avid, they abandoned the consumer/prosumer interface market. I already pointed you at some great brands.

RME makes nice stuff but a Fireface 400? FireWire is old dying (arguably dead?) technology and offers no benefit over modern USB (RME is the best example of this, extracting impressive performance from USB 2 on up).
Old 01-12-2022, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Any benefit to TDM in 2021?

Although the M1 alone is a very compelling CPU, that said, Id recommend waiting until the MacMini Pro comes out, so you can get at least an M1Pro/Max. I've done extensive testing on the M1 MacBook Air, and the M1Pro 14 and 16" MacBook Pro, with 16gb Ram and 1TB Hard Drive and they are crazy powerful for audio and video. As to which I recommend, I'd go with a M1Pro over the M1 especially for a for-hire studio. Can get it done with the base M1, without a doubt, but it is best suited for a project studio IMO.

You will need to confirm Antelope Audio has Apple Silicon Drivers for the box you have.

If you make the move, I strongly recommend running both systems concurrently until you are very comfortable that all Apple Intel to Silicon issues are resolved for your workflow.

If you google my user-name in YouTube you will see the Video's I've done on the M1/M1 Pro Macs with Protools.