Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-10-2011, 08:46 PM

Default PT9 - can it send an AC3 or DTS out the Mac optical output?

This could be very cool if this is possible. If PT can send a 5.1 DTS or AC3 stream out the Mac digital output, then some of the receivers that have the Audyssey system could be viable 5.1 monitoring setups.

Can it?

http://www.audyssey.com/

I tested a Marantz SR5005 (only $500) and the setup EQ & time-alignment was quite good when watching movies with "DVD Player". The SR5005 does have direct inputs, but sadly the Audyssey system can't function when using the direct inputs. So the only solution in this case would be to have PT generating an encoded digital stream as it's main output.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:21 PM

Default Re: PT9 - can it send an AC3 or DTS out the Mac optical output?

I believe you would need something like this:

http://www.neyrinck.com/en/support/faq/dolby-digital
Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I believe you would need something like this:

http://www.neyrinck.com/en/support/faq/dolby-digital
If I'm reading the guide right, the encoder is Audiosuite only, correct?

What I'm looking for is some way of having the PT outputs be an actual DTS stream. This may not be possible, and the whole idea is a bit dodgy but I'm just looking for possibilities.

I'd also look at a dedicated card that could take a 6 channel input and turn it into a 5.1 DTS stream, if the latency was satisfactory.

My thinking on this, is the only speaker systems that time-align themselves (that I know of) are the JBL's and Genelecs. The Audyssey system does a darn good job of phasing up & EQ'ing even mismatched speakers. It's certainly a step up from many of the so-called high-end rooms I've worked in, which had 5.1 setups that were very expensive, but nowhere near tweaked & phased up. If there is some way of having Pro Tools play an encoded 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 in a good resolution encoded stream, folks like me doing sound for post would have more options for working in a decent surround monitoring setup.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:04 AM

Perian (System Pref. Control pane) AC3 PB Mac output.
U need an encoder to create plus a Decoder.
Your anticipating decoding from the HiFI box.(Inexpensive monitor solution)?
Why not stay discreet (Non encoded) and use a receiver/processor that has discreet 5.1/7.1 inputs?
I use this method with THX CC4 (Surround 4 input switcher) feeding Audio refinement preamp>Parrasound Power.
Once mix stems are ready, encode as needed for media.
Dolby SE suite. (Simular for DTSHD)
The Neyrinck monitor solution should work with all the right software and hardware I/O needed, but rather steep in cost.

There are quite a few multi-channel monitor controllers from $400 and up.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:50 AM

I'm already discreet and using a receiver that has 5.1 -> 7.1 inputs. The encoding is strictly so the Audyssey equipped receiver can time-align and EQ the speakers so you're sitting in an optimized monitoring position, very similar to what the JBL & Genelec systems are doing, but for a fraction of the price. This would not be anything to do with encoding for media, but rather encoding for monitoring.

Using a standard 5.1 receiver, as I'm currently doing, is just 6 channels of amps and has no time-alignment or EQ. I've currently got my monitoring system "optimized" using Waves 360 Manager and an SPL meter for level, but that has no EQ to match up the speakers, and is also just by ear for phasing them up.

http://www.audyssey.com/solutions/ho...receivers.html

There are of course other ways to phase & EQ speakers (as well as tuning the monitoring room), but I'm impressed with the Audyssey system and if there's a way to do this in-the-box, I know several people that are interested in this approach. So far I haven't found a solution, but it's one worth considering.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:10 AM

I get it. What about IK arc? "Powered by Audyssey"
http://ikmultimedia.com/arc/features/
Old 06-12-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
I get it. What about IK arc? "Powered by Audyssey"
http://ikmultimedia.com/arc/features/
If there was a surround version that would be great. ARC is stereo only at this stage. I inquired earlier to them and a surround version is "in the works with no release date".
Old 06-12-2011, 03:32 PM

I saw that mentioned from 2008. Also the cost of the Audyssey hardware is around $2500 for 8 ch unbal. (They also have a bal. version.

PS. I also finnd the Waves a bit phasey.

I've been just working with Golden acoustic panels and no electronics for Eq.
http://www.goldenacoustics.com/index.html
Old 06-12-2011, 03:59 PM

I agree the Waves could use some finer tuning on the delays. It's an improvement over no phase alignment, but could use a finer adjustment.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:04 PM

If your looking for a budget 5.1 monitoring setup then the Neyrinck Mix 51 is about as cheap as it gets. It sends a Dolby Pro Logic II feed via analogue which can then be decoded by a receiver. Ok, it's not mega but it's cheap and it works. Check out the you tube clip on the site.