Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2009, 06:14 AM

Question What's the most versatile good sounding...

... Compressor around in RTAS format to use with PT LE..?
(And don't tell me to get a hardware external one since there's no ADC yet-pun intended)

I kind of like the stock digi Dyn3, but feel that it colours my vocals to much in an annoying way.. It sounds a little thinner.

Do you guys know which comp out there is way better and sounds thick (UAD quality like)..

[Keybeeetsss]
Every time I see ur name "Gvees", I don't know why but I always start singin, "I-I-I-I-Stayin Alive, Stayin Alive: I-I-I-I-Stayin Aliiiiiveeeeee-Iiiiveeee-Iiiivvveeee-Iiivveeeee"
Old 12-03-2009, 06:27 AM

Default Re: What's the most versatile good sounding...

I don't think there's one end-all compressor plugin that does it all; I use a few depending on what I'm going for:

Sonalksis SV-315 is very versatile, but is pretty transparent (you won't find your "thickness" here.)

Massey's CT4 is very simple, quick, and affordable, and colors the sound subtly in a specific way (I've found it makes the sound more "narrow" in most cases, which is not a bad thing if used in the right places.) Still, not what I'd consider "thick."

Stillwell's Rocket is a very colorful compressor that can sound thick as hell and can apply varying degrees of pleasing harmonic distortion to your signal (although I wouldn't classify it as a "clean" or "transparant" plugin.) It's VST only, tho, so you'll need to invest in Fxpansion's VST-RTAS wrapper if you want to use it.

Sonnox Sony Oxford Dynamics might be the most versatile out there, as it incorporates many different stages. I didn't wind up using it enough to purchase it, tho (just my preference, I guess.) Still, this might be a good option for you.

Those are my three go-to compressor plugins in Pro Tools; I sold my UAD-1s a long time ago and I don't miss them one bit. Check out the manufacturer's websites and download some demos and see which one gets you where you want to be! I should also say that I use hardware compression/limiting on the way in a lot, tho (1176, Fatso, DBX 160XT, RNLA.)
Old 12-03-2009, 06:44 AM

Great info, thanks..!

I just did some video watching on the site of UAD and I must admit that their plugs sound great, very musical.. from your description I'll first take a look at Sonnox's.. thanks!

And I just found this one: http://audiomidi.com/Blue-Tubes-Anal...al-P12838.aspx
Anyone familiar with it? at $15 it really looks like a 'no-brainer'.. :)

[Keybeeetsss]
Every time I see ur name "Gvees", I don't know why but I always start singin, "I-I-I-I-Stayin Alive, Stayin Alive: I-I-I-I-Stayin Aliiiiiveeeeee-Iiiiveeee-Iiiivvveeee-Iiivveeeee"
Old 12-03-2009, 06:52 AM

I've demo'd out Nomad Factory plugins in the past, and their sound quality has been TERRIBLE. Maybe they've gotten better over the years, but their plugins were easily some of the worst-sounding I've ever come in contact with. Straight up digital clipping sounds better than their idea of "harmonic distortion."

Again, try the demos, it's really the only way you can ensure you'll get what you want!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:48 AM

While I have several others (SSL, Waves Mercury bundle) , I prefer the BF76 and SMACK! as my "go to" compressors. Maybe its the way they "work" as opposed to the way they sound? I find them very predictable and easy to use. I use the Waves SSL bus compressor for drums. Opinions will vary.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-03-2009, 08:32 AM

I just bought that Nomad Blue Tubes Analog Tracker plug and love it. Demoed it for a few days, and decided for the price, I just had to have it. The compressor combined with the tube saturation makes for a pretty big sound, I think. The high shelf EQ seems to be silky-smooth, too. It's only gonna be $15 for a couple more days, so grab it while you can. Even if it doesn't end up being your main vocal compressor, it will be a great tool for lots of things.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 12-03-2009, 09:56 AM

The relatively new Waves CLA 1176 is my new favorite. Perfect for vocals. Waves classic V-comp (Neve style sorta) is also amazing in its unique coloring.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:47 PM

I would also try out Voxengo "Voxformer" and "Marquis". VST only but very musicaly sounding. I´ve tried a LOT and Voxformer is my way to go for Vocals and Marquis mostly for the Drum-Bus. For RTAS "Smack" is fine too.
I tried out Blue Tube today and am not impressed.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvees View Post
Great info, thanks..!

I just did some video watching on the site of UAD and I must admit that their plugs sound great, very musical.. from your description I'll first take a look at Sonnox's.. thanks!

And I just found this one: http://audiomidi.com/Blue-Tubes-Anal...al-P12838.aspx
Anyone familiar with it? at $15 it really looks like a 'no-brainer'.. :)

I just took the $15. plunge. I just need to find an empty spot on an ilok.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-03-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I just took the $15. plunge. I just need to find an empty spot on an ilok.
Empty spot on an ilok??? You don't have yours filled with expired demos?? I thought everyone did!!!...

(but I did find enough space for the $15 deal!! LOL!!)