Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 09:41 AM

Default Spinning Beachball.....

G5 DP 1,8 1GB RAM OSX 10.3.4 PT 6.4.CS8 HD2 Accel + Process Card
G4 DP 1,0 512MB RAM OSX 10.3.4. PT6.4.Cs8 HD1
G4 DP 1,25 1GB RAM OSX 10.3.2 PT 6.2 Mix+ + DSP Farm

On every Computer I go crazy with that Beachball
.....Editing, Beat Detective.....

Whats wrong??

Thanks

Akeem
Old 09-27-2004, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Spinning Beachball.....

Hmm so nobody else has the same problems.....hmmmmm
I think I´ll change to PC then....
Old 09-27-2004, 10:10 AM

I have one machine that has the SWOD (beachball) regularly. I practically started over on that system. The only holdover was the ~/Library/Preferences folder and some items in the ~/Documents folder. The problem remains. Perhaps its hardware, though I've never seen hardware create these kinds of problems. Usually a hardware problem results in a catastrophic failure (kernel panic, cannot boot, etc.).
Old 09-27-2004, 11:13 AM

I have one Mix+(G4/2*500/1GB/OSX 10.3.5/PT 6.4.1) and one HD2 system (G5/1600/1.25GB/OSX 10.3.5/PT 6.4cs8) and they both cause a kernel panic once a day
Old 09-27-2004, 11:54 AM

I, too, am having this system crash/spinning beachball issue. The only time I've NOT seen it happen is when I have a very simple session with very few tracks(8-10) or plugs. I have been extremely frustrated by this, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I cannot replicate it specifically, I just know that it WILL happen at least once during a mix session.

Rig:
1.25 GHz G4 (pre-firewire800)
1Gig RAM
OS 10.3.4
2 external FW (oxford 911) 120 GB drives
PT HD2 Accel
Plugs: McDSP AC1-2,Filterbank,compbank,reverbOne,wavesgold mondomod,metaflanger,delay,dither, Pitch&Time 2.x,and more

grrrrr.....
Old 09-27-2004, 10:39 PM

I get the spinning beachball constantly. I use the mouse for most of my navigation. Another engineer came to the studio who uses key commands and got NO spinning beach ball at all!! I went back on the computer with my regular method and here goes the beach ball. is there a difference in the way the computer processes mouse navigation and key navigation?
electrok
Old 09-28-2004, 12:29 AM

Quote:
I get the spinning beachball constantly. I use the mouse for most of my navigation. Another engineer came to the studio who uses key commands and got NO spinning beach ball at all!! I went back on the computer with my regular method and here goes the beach ball. is there a difference in the way the computer processes mouse navigation and key navigation?
electrok
No, as funy as it sounds, I had this problem also, until I replaced my mouse. Sometimes if there is ANY type of bad/weak connection between mouse to keyboard, or keybord to computer , this will happen. Keyboard, and mouses go out faster than people realize, and should be replaced more than people replace them. Their wires are fragile, weak, and lame, and go out alot, and fast.

I now have solved 3 of my friends "spinning beach ball" problem with this method.... (and 1 for myself)

I am NOT saying this is the solution to everyones post on this thread, BUT it IS the solution for you electrok .... Buy a new mouse and/or keyboard.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Hmm so nobody else has the same problems.....hmmmmm
I think I´ll change to PC then....
Sure. Go for it. There's never ANY problems with PCs.....
Old 10-09-2004, 12:04 PM

-dual 1.8 G5
-HD 2 Accel
-192 io

I'm getting the beachball only when tracking in 96k sessions --mostly when recording. Upon stopping, the system hangs when calculating waveforms (what is more, the waveforms are often kooky looking forcing me to "recalculate." This is not a mouse thing--at 44.1 I'm blazing. This problem is so frustrating, I'm sticking with 44.1 from herre on out.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I am NOT saying this is the solution to everyones post on this thread, BUT it IS the solution for you electrok .... Buy a new mouse and/or keyboard.
Well if I had done that I would've wasted some $. I replaced my Kensington TurboMouse with a spare and still no luck.

I also turned off Quartz Extreme, and still no luck.

I'm getting Apple involved shortly. I think it is a hardware problem (and yes, you can have hardware problems that won't affect OS 9 and do affect OS X).