Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2012, 05:54 AM

Default Oh No! Not again!!

Yesterday I was just finishing up on tracking a session I'd been working on for 2 weeks. Everything was going great. I had added a few plugins to various tracks along the way. (basic reverb and eq and one vocal deesser). I was playing and listening to the tracks at quitting time,(That's when the war department announces dinner), when suddenly, in the middle of the song the entire session started to slow down like someone putting their finger on a record turntable! There was also terrible screaching and distortion noises. My mouse went crazy, fluttering all over the screen! I don't know why this happened but I remembered reading about too many plugs causing cpu overload problems. I uninstalled them all and it seems I'm back to normal. Question: Why is there not a popup warning in Pt's to let someone know when this situation occurs instead of the alarming results described above? I've already had one stroke and I sure don't need another one. (PT's 9.0.2, Windows 7, 32 bit, Creation Station). Thanks
Old 03-17-2012, 06:59 AM

Default Re: Oh No! Not again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Yesterday I was just finishing up on tracking a session I'd been working on for 2 weeks. Everything was going great. I had added a few plugins to various tracks along the way. (basic reverb and eq and one vocal deesser). I was playing and listening to the tracks at quitting time,(That's when the war department announces dinner), when suddenly, in the middle of the song the entire session started to slow down like someone putting their finger on a record turntable! There was also terrible screaching and distortion noises. My mouse went crazy, fluttering all over the screen! I don't know why this happened but I remembered reading about too many plugs causing cpu overload problems. I uninstalled them all and it seems I'm back to normal. Question: Why is there not a popup warning in Pt's to let someone know when this situation occurs instead of the alarming results described above? I've already had one stroke and I sure don't need another one. (PT's 9.0.2, Windows 7, 32 bit, Creation Station). Thanks
I bet you have "ignore playback errors" ticked.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-17-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
I bet you have "ignore playback errors" ticked.
Yep, and increase the buffersize is also a good thing.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhall View Post
Yep, and increase the buffersize is also a good thing.
Indeed.

A low buffer with lots of plugs and ignore errors is a recipe for some nasty distortion.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-17-2012, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the prompt and helpful replies guys. I'll look in to your solutions today. Would these things also cause the mouse movements to be erratic? Before I had no trouble honing in on region start and end points for editing using the selection tool or the trimmer tool. Now the mouse will not hone in on the parts of the regions that I need to edit or trim. I have another mouse that I'll substitute to see if that's the problem but if not I'll still need some experenced advice. And thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:15 PM

A few possibilities come to mind now. Maybe a bad mouse driver or a bad graphics/video driver. Are any plugins on the screen when this happens? I have a slightly older Waves bundle on my rig. whenever a Waves plugin is open on the screen, the graphics get jerky. As soon as I close the plugin window, all is well(really need to pay that WUP fee one of these days)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-18-2012, 05:46 AM

albee1952. I don't recall any plugin screens being open at the time. I followed the advice given as far as unchecking "ignore mistakes" and I increased the buffer size and it seems to have worked, temporarily at least. One more question. Being as uninformed as to computer insides and their functions as I am, do the components such as RAM and internal hard drives figure in to the kind of problems I'm having? My creation staion pc was the lowest priced one with minimum RAM but I asked that "another stick" be installed. (That's what the Sweetwater rep called it). I assume that my request was honored but I wouldn't know a "stick of ram from a stick of butter!. I am recording to an external hard drive. I assume it'e adequate since there appears to be no obvious problems. I'm not sure of the brand or rpm's but it must be 7200 because I haven't experienced any problems that would suggest that it might be part of the problem. Any advice here would be most helpful.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:19 AM

Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!
read that thread and post a Sandra report, and all your questions will be answered. The Sandra report will show exactly how much RAM and hard drive speeds, as well as a ton of other good info. You can post(copy/paste the text) in this thread so others can view and comment(someone may spot some hardware issue). It also wouldn't hurt to print it out for future reference. If your audio machine doesn't connect to the internet(a good idea BTW), just use a USB pendrive to copy the report to another machine.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-19-2012, 06:40 AM

Red face Re: Oh No! Not again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!
read that thread and post a Sandra report, and all your questions will be answered. The Sandra report will show exactly how much RAM and hard drive speeds, as well as a ton of other good info. You can post(copy/paste the text) in this thread so others can view and comment(someone may spot some hardware issue). It also wouldn't hurt to print it out for future reference. If your audio machine doesn't connect to the internet(a good idea BTW), just use a USB pendrive to copy the report to another machine.
albee1952. OK. I get it, Your tired of my questions and I understand. I don't mean to be a bother. It's just that, for me, It's easier to understand straight talk than tech lingo. I've already clicked on the link and saved it to my favorites. I'll do my best to learn this obviously important process. One more and final question. Does this process actually diagnose and answer the questions about my pc that are needed to generate the report or, will I need to answer questions as in, How much Ram my pc has installed? If that's the case I'm right back where I started because I really don't know the answers to all the questions that the report may ask to be answered. I just can't understand why people who buy computers have to be knowledgeable about their components and be able to troubleshoot any possible problems and, when problems occur, if they don't posess the knowledge to solve the problem the computer becomes a door stop! (I.E.) (Pass the buck to the customer! You've already got his money)! Anyone who has the cash can buy an automobile and all they need to know is how to drive it, (of course they must have a drivers license). Perhaps my analogy is a poor one but I think it makes my point. I'm not trying to be a smart a-- here and I realize that this is somewhat off topic but I once understood the world I lived in ??? Sorry! I don't want this to turn in to a rant so I'll persue learning how to generate a SANDRA report.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:14 AM

Hi Terry

SANDRA generates a list of all the hardware in your computer, such as amount of RAM, CPU cpeed, motherboard chipset info, etc. SANDRA generates all this info so you don't have to remember all those details.

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com