How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2011, 07:12 AM

Default Oxygen 49 direct link problems

So I just got the oxy49 keyboard.

I cannot get it to work and control my PT9 set up.

PT says it cant communicate with it, I have tried all 4 USB ports.

Im putting the keyboard on preset 10 which is supposed to be direct link but its not direct linking.

Here one question. Supposedly you dont need to install drivers for the keyboard. does that go for direct link too? It comes with a "protools 8 direct link" installer , but after i install that, PT crashes when opening a session. So I uninstall it. When the direct link installer is not installed, I can get the master fader to be controlled by the keyboard once or twice before i get an error saying, "update peripherals, Pro tools cant communicate with your keyboard, etc"

In peripherals I have my midi controller set to: M-Audio keyboards> in to oxygen 49> out to Oxygen 49> 8channel

Midi thru is checked.

key board swithced on

keyboard on preset 10

What am i doing wrong?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Oxygen 49 direct link problems

I had similar issues when going to 9.0.2
One thing I do know is that if you installed the direct link off of the cd that came with the keyboard you must uninstall EVERYTHING related to the keyboard. I tried with just add/remove programs and that didnt get it all. I also had to look around my computer and find everything that said M-Audio that I knew was related to the keyboard and delete it. Avid support was no help either.
Then I had to reinstall PT 9.0 and upgrade to 9.0.2

Funny thing is, it worked flawlessly with 9.0 and 9.0.1 for me but I still have it now where if I change sessions PT wont see the keyboard (except for faders and transport functions). I have to restart PT for each session I need the keyboard in but at least it works I guess.

Good luck. And dont forget to get the newest driver off the web and do NOT install the direct link off the cd. The direct link on the cd is NOT for Pro Tools.

I'm installing 9.0.3 tonight so if I find some useful info through that process I'll let you know.

www.reverbnation.com/jmaccadillac
Old 05-27-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rushmore View Post
I had similar issues when going to 9.0.2
One thing I do know is that if you installed the direct link off of the cd that came with the keyboard you must uninstall EVERYTHING related to the keyboard. I tried with just add/remove programs and that didnt get it all. I also had to look around my computer and find everything that said M-Audio that I knew was related to the keyboard and delete it. Avid support was no help either.
Then I had to reinstall PT 9.0 and upgrade to 9.0.2

Funny thing is, it worked flawlessly with 9.0 and 9.0.1 for me but I still have it now where if I change sessions PT wont see the keyboard (except for faders and transport functions). I have to restart PT for each session I need the keyboard in but at least it works I guess.

Good luck. And dont forget to get the newest driver off the web and do NOT install the direct link off the cd. The direct link on the cd is NOT for Pro Tools.

I'm installing 9.0.3 tonight so if I find some useful info through that process I'll let you know.
Hey matt thanks for your help.Thats a lot of info.

1) so i should uninstall everything Maudio?

2) Are you saying that I need to find all files that say something to do with Maudio and delete those files? (that would require me to turn on spotlight indexing temporarily to do the search which i guess is fine)

3) when you say "get the newest driver off the web" , do you mean the M audio keyboard driver or do you mean the direct link installer? Reason is, maudio claims that all drivers are already installed with versions protoosl after 8.0.X

Here is my other issue. I keep getting the "protools cant communicate with your Maudio keyboard" and there is something else that keeps saying it has something to do with losing power or something. I am running a mac mini 2010 unibody model. Is it possible that the usb hub just isnt giving it as much juice as it needs? Or is this all driver related?

Thanks again.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:19 PM

Ok so I just looked into how mac usb ports work and learned a few things. The axiom requires 100 mA and the USB port supplies it with 500mA! so we ar good on power.

I reverted to PT9.0.2 and all the same problems. Actually let me be specific.

I reverted to PT 9.0.2, I installed no drivers , and no direct link, since Maudio says it built into PT8.x.x and up etc. so now it seems to be communicating fine (without the direct link and drivers installed) but after i press stop, the lcd window in the oxy49 goes to one verticle dash mark until i turn it off and on again. It completely loses all connections with the DAW.

Any words bros?
Old 05-28-2011, 07:56 AM

reverted back to protools 8.0.4 and all the same problems. May me the mac mini ?

gonna return the oxygen 49 and get the axiom 49 which has a power supply and see if that changes anything
Old 05-29-2011, 10:23 AM

wow thanks for all your amazing responses! Glad we all pulled together for this one.

Ended up taking the oxygen 49 and switched it to a axiom 49. Axiom 49 worked instantly. no problems at all. direct link works first time out of the box. No drivers, no installation , just set peripherals and boom. guess my problems were with the oxygen 49 itself.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa3077boogie View Post
wow thanks for all your amazing responses! Glad we all pulled together for this one.

Ended up taking the oxygen 49 and switched it to a axiom 49. Axiom 49 worked instantly. no problems at all. direct link works first time out of the box. No drivers, no installation , just set peripherals and boom. guess my problems were with the oxygen 49 itself.
Pulled together ?
Ended up taking the oxygen 49 and switched it to a axiom 49?

That's not a solution. I have the same problem. Keep the thread going---
Old 06-02-2011, 12:28 PM

I've been using my oxygen 49 (and before that the oxygen 25) with PT 9, 9.1, and 9.2 and have had no issues with direct link or the controller. I installed the latest drivers from the M-audio site initially and used the included CD as a coaster. Haven't upgraded to 9.0.3 yet.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:52 PM

I have not had any problems with my Oxygen 49 v3 using DL and PT9/.01/.02/.03

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com