Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2011, 04:18 AM

Default Re: C|24 Pros and Cons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
I'd say a majority of what I do is editing. I'm constantly moving regions around, playing with the time expansion controls, inserting sound effects etc. (I produce radio ads mostly.) So I guess I shouldn't allow the keyboard to wander too far.
Yes, I'd say so. While the C24 is an awesome desk for mixing, plug-in automation and overall Pro Tools control, it isn't equipped for heavy editing (as the Fairlight or Pyramix controllers are, for example), so that's the only process (apart from naming tracks and filling data into dialog windows) where the use of keyboard is inevitable and the controller is there only for assistance (rough level settings when editing, memory locations recalling, group management, jog-wheel operations, etc.).

The most setups I've seen have either the keyboard and mouse/trackball in a sort of drawer under the desk, or have the keyboard and mouse on the side of the console along with one or more LCD's, which forms a sort of edit station, leaving the console in the center mainly for mixing (this setup is more often used in postproduction studios with surround setups).

I don't recommend placing the keyboard in front of the console, because that would mean moving the console backwards and that's something you don't want to do with the C24.

Tom

2010 Mac Pro 8-core Westmere, OS X 10.6.6, PT HD 9.0.3, Mbox 2 Pro, C|24
Old 03-30-2011, 05:10 PM

I don't recommend placing the keyboard in front of the console, because that would mean moving the console backwards and that's something you don't want to do with the C24.

That would depend upon where the C|24 is.

Quite a few of the furniture "desks" designed for the C|24 have a padded rail in front of the unit where a keyboard can be readily placed.

Then too, to take it to an extreme, if your furniture "desk" was eight or so feet deep you could push the C|24 back quite far before having to worry about it...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-30-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
That would depend upon where the C|24 is.

Quite a few of the furniture "desks" designed for the C|24 have a padded rail in front of the unit where a keyboard can be readily placed.

Then too, to take it to an extreme, if your furniture "desk" was eight or so feet deep you could push the C|24 back quite far before having to worry about it...
That's not what I meant... I meant the ergonomics. If you place the C24 too far from you, you'd have to reach for buttons behind the LCDs quite a bit which might get uncomfortable. Also, the LCD readability is getting worse if you are looking at them from a close angle (not sure about this expression, my English is having a glitch here... But you know what I mean). I personally like to have the C24 almost at the front edge of the desk, which allows me to sit close and reach all controls without much effort. To me, the keyboard drawer, that could be pushed away when not needed, looks like an ideal solution... and inexpensive too.

Tom

Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 PM

I'm not sure if you're talking about LCD scribble strip contrast... but I've heard that if you angle the C|24 by raising it at the rear, that helps with intelligibility and it also puts the farthest controls slightly more within reach.

The furniture that the dealer is offering me, an Argosy 50-NC24, looks like it won't allow this. Is the headphone output at the front of the C|24? If so, the Argosy desk blocks its use.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if you're talking about LCD scribble strip contrast... but I've heard that if you angle the C|24 by raising it at the rear, that helps with intelligibility and it also puts the farthest controls slightly more within reach.
Actually the LCD contrast isn't bad at all, unless you put the console really far away - I've seen a studio where they had the C24 more than 30 cm (12") from the edge of the desk and that could be a problem. However, that's a bit extreme (I can't see how they can work like this). Guys at Argosy aren't stupid, I'm sure that they design their desks/consoles to be comfortable to use. To me personally the armrest of the Argosy seems a little too deep, but that's just me. It will most likely be OK even without raising the back.

Tom

Old 03-31-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:

The furniture that the dealer is offering me, an Argosy 50-NC24, looks like it won't allow this. Is the headphone output at the front of the C|24? If so, the Argosy desk blocks its use.
Dale--
I have the Argosy 90-NC24-RR. The armrest has a perfect amount of space for a Mac keyboard. PC keyboards might be a little too deep, but it is great for the Mac. As far as the headphone output on the C/24, it IS on the front; HOWEVER, Digi includes a mini male-female headphone cable that plugs into the jack and can reach out onto the armrest far enough to plug your headphones into it. I have done exactly that, and it works perfectly with my Argosy. I don't remember reading anywhere in the C/24 literature that this mini headphone extender cable was included, so I thought I would pass that bit of info along to you. It also does help that the Argosy desk includes some risers that angle the console a little bit and make it align perfectly with the contours of the desk. All in all, I am very happy with both my C/24 and the matching Argosy desk. Hope this helps!!

Mac Pro Rack (7,1) 16-core 3.2gHz Intel Xeon W
OSX Catalina (10.15.4)
8TB Mac OEM SSD System Drive
(3) 1Tb 7200rpm audio hard drives
192Gb RAM
Radeon Pro Vega II Video Card
2 Avid HDX Cards
2 Avid 8X8X8 HD I/Os; 2 Avid 16X16 HD I/Os
PT Ultimate 2020.3
Old 04-01-2011, 12:26 PM

I hear speculation that EuCon might be something that Avid could add to the C|24. Pardon my ignorance, but is that just a matter of doing a firmware update at some point in the future? In other words, don't worry about buying a C|24 today because that functionality can easily be added later? Or no?
Old 04-01-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I hear speculation that EuCon might be something that Avid could add to the C|24. Pardon my ignorance, but is that just a matter of doing a firmware update at some point in the future? In other words, don't worry about buying a C|24 today because that functionality can easily be added later? Or no?
Not sure about that, but it would be lovely, people might actually buy more proper controllers instead of those Artist series toys. But even if we don't get the EuCon, I'd love to have user-assignable soft keys. That would be mega useful.

Tom

Old 04-15-2011, 06:43 PM

Default Re: C|24 vs Others

I am interested in going to a Protools HD Native system with a Mac Pro, but I am not sure of the C24 as opposed to either the Tascam DM 4800 or 2 X Presonus studiolive 16 using the euphonix MC Mix and MC Control for transport and mapping etc. Further to that using Aurora 16 HD instead of PT Interfaces. I need 32 tracks about 20% of the time mainly 16 - 24 tracks 80% of the time simultaneously. Thoughts??
Old 04-16-2011, 10:36 AM

Default Re: C|24 vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by curere View Post
I am interested in going to a Protools HD Native system with a Mac Pro, but I am not sure of the C24 as opposed to either the Tascam DM 4800 or 2 X Presonus studiolive 16 using the euphonix MC Mix and MC Control for transport and mapping etc. Further to that using Aurora 16 HD instead of PT Interfaces. I need 32 tracks about 20% of the time mainly 16 - 24 tracks 80% of the time simultaneously. Thoughts??
I BOUGHT THE C24 2 MONTHS AGO, AND AS A LIVE-SYNTH BASED MUSIC AND FX STUDIO, FOR ME, I FOUND IT LIMITING. (sorry for the caps- stuck keys) So I am selling it, and looking for a good Analogue board, which" plays nice" with other software such a s Digital Performer, etc, not solely PT, and is not totally dependent on its ethernet computer link in order for it to function. Moving faders, are not a priority for me, either.
So, I am looking to sell it. Anyone interested, please contact me before I advertise its sale .
[email protected].