Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2010, 08:42 AM

Default Pro Tools does not see my M-Audio outputs

I recently switched to Vista and installed Pro Tools. I also have a USB M-Audio Ultra.

At the back of the M-Audio, I have an Output (jack #3). routed to the input of several rack mounted effects processors that are daisy chained.

I bring the processed signal back into the M-Audio Ultra by way of Input #3 found on the back of the M-Audio.

I have recorded a vocal that sits on track 1 in Pro Tools.

I want to route that vocal track to the signal processors described above, and then have the processed signal go into my mixdown.

I am not sure how to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

The other problem, is I don't think Pro Tools can "see" all of my outputs and inputs on the m-audio.

Any advice? On the following fronts:

1. How can I tell if Pro Tools can see all of my inputs and outputs available on the M-Audio Ultra
2. If it can't, how do I make it so?
3. How do i route the track so that it gets its signal processed and then gets routed into the mix?

Thanks so much all.

Cal
Old 03-01-2010, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools does not see my M-Audio outputs

Have you gone through your I/O setup in PT?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-06-2010, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools does not see my M-Audio outputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal D View Post
1. How can I tell if Pro Tools can see all of my inputs and outputs available on the M-Audio Ultra
2. If it can't, how do I make it so?
3. How do i route the track so that it gets its signal processed and then gets routed into the mix?

Thanks so much all.

Cal
Look at the Ultra's mixer. All outputs of the Ultra go through that mixer. Normally, you'll want to set the Ultra's mixer so that the software returns route to the corresponding physical output.

If the Ultra is bus powered, only analog inputs 1 and 2, analog outputs 1 and 2 and the S/PDIF ins and outs work. You need to use the supplied power supply (and power cycle the Ultra) to "heat up" the other ins and outs. The "about" tab in the ultra's mixer also shows you what mode the interface is working in.

Once the Ultra's mixer looks correct, launch Pro Tools and look at it's I/O setup. This should show you what inputs and outputs are recognized by Pro Tools (along the top of each tab). You then can create input and output paths (down the left side) and route them to physical ins and outs of the interface.

If you have more than one M-Audio interface connected, check the correct one is selected in the Playback Engine dialog.

Hope that helps.