Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 10-14-2017, 04:26 AM

Default Cannot figure out how to get my pedal board to work with the Elevenrack

I have read all of the posts regarding using the FX Loop, but I am not having any success. I'm in the Mac OS using ProTools 12 (most current version). I have the Elevenrack coming into my Focusrite Saffire Pro40 Interface via SPDIF, and it works fine. ProTools receives the sound from the 11R to record.

What I want to do is to use my pedal board which has 8 different pedals, plus a Cry Baby and Volume pedal in the chain. I have the FX Loop Send going to my input of the pedal board (where I would usually plug in my guitar). The output of my pedal board is (where I would usually plug into the amp) is going to the FX Loop Return on the 11R. I have those both to the mono "Left" positions, and the pin is UP set to stompbox. My guitar is plugged into the Elevenrack's Guitar Input on the front.

In the EDIT/RACK on the 11R, I scrolled down and selected "FX Loop". What I hear is only the Elevenrack's preset, but with none of my pedals' sound. It's like there is nothing there.

What I am trying to do is to use only the amp and cabs in the Elevenrack. I want to use the Marshall 100W and the Matchless amps coupled with certain cabs to achieve a sound (but it's crucial that I can run my own pedals through those amp syms).

I do not know what the problem is. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Cannot figure out how to get my pedal board to work with the Elevenrack

Is the FX LOOP button ON (green)?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-14-2017, 09:27 AM

Default Cannot figure out how to get my pedal board to work with the Elevenrack

You need the FX loop turned on (see Benoni’s question), the FX Loop levels and return % (I forget what exactly they call that in the FX Loop effects control) set correctly, the FX Loop correctly positioned in the Eleven Rack rig. Some of this stuff is described in the User Guide. Also read about the level meters on the Eleven Rack front panel display in the rig view, they are very handy.

You can do a null cable test just with the FX send jumped to FX return and play with the return % and confirm that works as expected. Including when you disconnect the cable. Then take a single really obvious effects pedal and turn the effect up to a super obvious amount and connect that into the FX Loop. Does that work?

Are you using wah and volume pedal inside the Eleven Rack or physical pedals?

Pedals turned on and good batteries or power supplies working? If needed test all cables one at a time in the null test and add pedals in the chain one at a time. Also test pedals one at a time by putting them between the guitar and guitar input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-14-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Cannot figure out how to get my pedal board to work with the Elevenrack

Thank you for your responses. I finally got it to work. The issue was that I always viewed the "FX Loop" pedal in the Elevenrack as some sort of effects pedal. I didn't realize that it actually controlled the level of what's coming in. It certainly isn't perfect, but I will figure it out.

I had the FX Loop turned on in the panel, but the level of it was turned down. Once I raised it - boom, I heard my board. Awesome. I just saved like 50 billion dollars, and my neighbor's well being.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:59 AM

It is behaving like a parallel effects loop on a real guitar amp. Well except it’s not really between the amp preamp and power section. and as always depending on the effects you might be better off placing them between the guitar and amp, not in an FX loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017, 11:34 AM

You may get a better sound by plugging you guitar in your pedalboard and the ouput of the pedalboard in 11R guitar in to use 11R TrueZ. This should sounds/reacts the same way as a real amp.