Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-25-2010, 02:46 PM

Default UK Students - no educational discounts any more

Those of us that used to enjoy discounts via Digidesign's Training And Education store, which you got access to if you paid for Digidesign Certified Training, so it was a reward for investing in their official certified training courses, have now been shafted, it appears.

After Avid completed their takeover, the training and education store disappeared. The menu item still appears on the 'my digi' account page (it is only visible to people who were flagged as eligible to access the store), but when you click on it you get a message saying the store is no longer available.

Users in the USA can still get educational discounts via www.studica.com and various other resellers, but the discounts are not available in the UK, as far as I've been able to tell.

I tried ordering from Studica's USA site and they verified and accepted my university ID. That was two weeks ago. Only when I rang to query something else (you can buy various other manufacturers' products from the USA store without problems) did they tell me that, actually, they couldn't ship to me as they had been expressly told by Avid that educational discounts are for USA customers only.

The UK version of Studica's site does not include Pro Tools 9 at all.

In the UK, then, the PT8LE to PT9 crossgrade is £209 from Digidesign, and £175ish from suppliers like Digital Village, Studiospares etc.

But USA students can get it for $124.95.

Telephone contact with Avid's UK sales office (at Pinewood Studios) resulted simply in them informing me that the discount is not available to students in the UK.

Pretty disappointing!
Old 11-25-2010, 02:52 PM

Default Re: UK Students - no educational discounts any more

Pissed off about this, why can they have it and not us? what would stop us buying the crossgrade download from studica?
Old 11-25-2010, 03:10 PM

Shame on any 'major' player not supporting student discount. Imagine my relief that Sibelius (via AVID) is still student available in UK - at least it was last week when purchased by my student daughter (although no confirmed delivery, bit like my boxed PT9 post earlier perhaps)
Old 11-25-2010, 03:59 PM

Other user's and I have already made threads regarding the Education store.

The last updates I received from suppliers was that they were waiting on word from Avid on a educational price they could offer.
I hope they can offer a price lower than £179

Apple Mac Mini (2009)
10.7.2 | 2.0Ghz Intel C2D | 4GB RAM | 250GB HDD (Internal | OS) | 320GB HDD (External FW | Sessions) | 1TB HDD (External USB | Backup) | Axiom 49

M-Box 2 | ProTools 10.0.1 | Reason 5
Pro Tools 110 Qualified
Old 11-26-2010, 08:04 AM

So, hold on. I'm assuming there's absolutely nothing to stop us buying crossgrade downloads from the studica US site then, yeah? Has anyone from the UK done this? The only problem I could see is verifying yourself as a student with the US side of things or if they're purposely disallowing purchase rather than just not physically shipping.
Also a few weeks ago I rang Studica and they said they'd be offering Pro Tools 9 but were waiting for prices from Avid.
I really don't see why they wouldn't offer it to UK students, I'm currently studying with an Avid training partner and I think a lot of the students will be pissed about it if they don't (we're skint enough as it is!).

EDIT - Studica just informed me that they're simply waiting for prices from Avid, but they are definitely getting a UK Edu version coming in as soon as this is confirmed. Why it's taking so long is anyone's guess mind.
Quad core i7 930 OC @ 3.8Ghz - Asus P6T x58 mobo
12Gb Corsair 1400mhz RAM - HD7950 3GB GPU
700w PSU - Antec Solo case
3x 1TB Samsung Spinrite HDD
2x 22" monitors + 24" 120Hz monitor
Interfaces:
M-Audio Profire 2626/Behringer ADA-8000 & M-Audio Studiophile BX8s
MIDI/Control
M-Audio Axiom 61 2nd Gen, Nocturn, Launchpad Behringer FCB1010 & Alesis DM10 Studio with mesh heads
Old 11-26-2010, 12:54 PM

Guys, if you read my post you will see that I already ordered it from studio USA site. After 2 weeks, when I rang about something else, they informed me that Avid has instructed them that must only seep pro tools 9 educational to USA students. Studica USA are prohibited by Avid from selling to uk students.

Plus Avid uk sales told me that they are not offering educational discounts, and they could not tell me of a uk company that can offer either.

That was the whole point of my post!
Old 12-02-2010, 02:18 PM

Quick follow up to this - http://www.studica.com/uk/en/Digides...o_tools_9.html

That's Studica's UK site, note it says that they will be shipping in late december. This is an update as I've been checking this rather well-hidden page for quite some time. This also shows that they've updated with an ETA after I last rang them regarding it. I should also note the woman on the phone mentioned they've been getting floods of calls asking about this too, it's their most anticipated new product.
Interfaces:
MIDI/Control
M-Audio Axiom 61 2nd Gen, Nocturn, Launchpad Behringer FCB1010 & Alesis DM10 Studio with mesh heads
Old 12-02-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post

In the UK, then, the PT8LE to PT9 crossgrade is £209 from Digidesign, and £175ish from suppliers like Digital Village, Studiospares etc.
http://www.jigsaw24.com/product-deta...cation-license)

Studio: Pro Tools 8 HD2, Lynx Aurora, Power PC

http://www.snorkelstudios.co.uk

http://www.flotationtoywarning.co.uk
Old 12-02-2010, 08:57 PM

Hmm seen a couple sites like this but I'll wait on Studica since if they're 50% off on the US side of things, they'll probably be about the same on the UK prices.
Interfaces:
MIDI/Control
Old 12-26-2010, 02:34 PM

do we know if this is ever going to come out for uk students