Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-03-2013, 09:44 PM

Default changing from protools 8 audio only to protools 8 with video support

hi all!

protools 8 HD, osx 10.5.8, mac pro purchaced around 2008.

when i installed protools on my current system, i was doing music only (no video/post production), so when i installed prottols i installed the non-video version. but, i am now doing scoring for a short film, and wish i'd installed the post/video version.

i'm thinking fixing this could be as simple as reinstalling the most recent update would allow me to choose the "video post production" installation option. is this likely to cause me many headaches if i do it? will it keep all of my plugins? is this actually how i'd go about doing it? i've googled as many wats of asking this question as i could think of, plus dug around on this site and a few other forums, but with no luck so far.

tl;dr: i want to reinstall protools 8, but this time with the video post-production featues. how is this done?
Old 09-04-2013, 07:32 AM

Default Re: changing from protools 8 audio only to protools 8 with video support

Search eBay for the DV Toolkit.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-04-2013, 10:43 AM

Default Re: changing from protools 8 audio only to protools 8 with video support

For non HD Protools, version 8 and earlier had to use the separately purchased DV Toolkit to get timecode and the other features.

Since PT9, these features are now standard in Protools, so you might be better off just upgrading to PT11, assuming your computer is compatible.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
For non HD Protools, version 8 and earlier had to use the separately purchased DV Toolkit to get timecode and the other features.

Since PT9, these features are now standard in Protools, so you might be better off just upgrading to PT11, assuming your computer is compatible.
thanks for the replies! ...but i do have HD.

DV toolkit (thanks for the proper name for it!) was an option when i first installed pt, but i chose not to the first time around, because i wasn't doing any film work at all at the time. but now i am! i know i know, i just like to run a lean machine. also, for the record, protools 11 is not compatible with 10.5. i can't even install pt 8.1.1, osx 10.5 is stuck at 8.0.5.

ummm, so, since i have HD and should be able to get this for free... how do i do that? sorry if i'm being stupid but i just googled the heck out of dv toolkit, protools 8, dug through the avid pt8 download page(s) etc but didn't find anything useful...
Old 09-04-2013, 03:44 PM

No, the video option when you first installed was for the Mojo video hardware to have it's driver installed.
DVTK was in the optional install folder and you still need an iLok license for it

And your HD license get you nothing.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-04-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
No, the video option when you first installed was for the Mojo video hardware to have it's driver installed.
DVTK was in the optional install folder and you still need an iLok license for it

And your HD license get you nothing.

ah. the cold, brutal truth! thanks for explaining that. i suppose i'll limp along without it this time, then spend the money from the film on upgrading osx, protools, waves bundle etc...