Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2016, 03:15 AM

Default Cloning Sierra

I am finding that clones of Sierra OS do not appear as a Boot option in the Startup Disk Control Panel in Yosemite, but the original does. The clone is available if the Alt key is held down when restarting though.

I have tried using both CCC and SuperDuper. Is this a bug or just something with my builds?
Old 12-09-2016, 05:02 AM

Default Re: Cloning Sierra

Works okay here for my setup. I have two boot partitions on my system - OSX 10.8.5 and OSX 10.9.5 and I have CCC clones of each on an external drive. The clones show as being able to be selected as startups no matter which OSX version I'm booted into.

Why are you looking to boot into a clone of Sierra? Don't you have it on your system already? Or is this Sierra clone from another system? Why not try the solution I use and have a multi-boot setup so you can boot into any OSX partition you have? A while Back I actually had three boot partitions but OSX 10.10.x was unstable for production use.

QAPLA!
Old 12-09-2016, 06:38 AM

I administer quite a few system here and have a whole selection of 'master builds' that I clone on to the internal drive of any particular system as required.

I usually present a safe version - Yosemite and PT 12.6.1 or Lion and PT 10.3.10 if there is a picture involved and it is Cheesegrater rig- but also like to give a most up to date version possible for our guys to experiment with when it is not mission critical.

I have always used CCC to clone and never had a problem with this before, but have just spent three days trying to work out why I cannot see Sierra clone boots in the system preferences. I have tried on different computers and with different operating systems. I have been in communication with both Apple and Mike Bombich but have not worked out why the clone is not available as a preference, but is good if the Alt key is held down.

The clone does appear as a boot option in Sierra itself but not in Yosemite.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:07 PM

Seeing as to what you're doing what's the big deal about holding down the 'option' key on startup?

QAPLA!
Old 12-09-2016, 03:04 PM

The Macs are remote in machine rooms and especially with Trashcan systems the USB is extended via a thunderbolt hub and this does nor allow the Alt key startup to work.

Also it is 'different' to every operating system and up till now and I would rather like to know why as there might be a deeper problem.

Zen and the Art.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:35 PM

Also, to put a bit of perspective on it, say an 80 or 90 piece orchestra on the floor then it cost about 500 dollars to do a reboot because of lost time.

Our guys can get a bit twitchy about that, not that we would ever use Sierra to record yet, but I am looking into the future.