Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-26-2020, 03:00 PM

Default Pro Tools projects not found in Finder search

Hi, I apologize this long and messy post but this issue is really getting to my nerves and I hope that you can help. I asked this first from support month ago but they haven’t found any solution yet.

I work with several projects at same time and like to keep things simple so I have saved a search that lists all Pro Tools projects in my computer, starting from newest one. I can then easily select the project I want to continue working on.
When I save a Pro Tools project (save/cmd-s), it can not be found in Finder with any of search methods (saved search, Spotlight, cmd-f). When using Save as -command problem does not occur but I really won’t fill my drives with copies of projects.
It’s no matter if I save a new project or old, edited project or new, created from scratch or from template, saving does something that prevents the project from showing up in search.
If I modify the project name in Finder all searches can find it again but never directly after Pro Tools save.
The location where I save project plays no role also. I usually keep my files in dropbox but I tested also saving to desktop and documents folder and result is always the same, search does not find them.
Everything can be found after re-indexing Spotlight but that’s only one-time fix and as I save projects they keep disappearing from search results.

I use similar saved searches with my other DAWs and they work fine, this issue occurs only in Pro Tools save.

The problem is same in both of my computers (MacPro 6,1 and MBP 11.5) and I noticed it when I jumped from El Capitan & PT 12.8.2 directly to Mojave & PT 2020.9.

Anyone else noticed this weirdness?

Seppo
Old 11-26-2020, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools projects not found in Finder search

What about a smart folder in Finder - I haven't tried it myself, but it should be easy to create a smart folder to show only .ptx files sorted by modification date.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:27 PM

I just tried it I created a smart folder, set a criterium "other..." and selected file-ending, and typed ".ptx", and the smart folder immediately listed all session files on my mac. I then could sort them by "last modified date". I think this would work for you.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:28 PM

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:34 PM

...another thing; the smart folder also shows all auto-created bacup .ptx files, but I'm shure it's possible to set a criterium to exclude them.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:56 PM

Wait, you are keeping files in Dropbox? You mean you are actually saving sessions from Pro Tools into a Dropbox folder? You should not be doing that, no cloud storage like that should be expected to be reliable for arbitrary operations. Since all the stuff you are using relies on Spotlight indexing... who knows (or cares?) how well Spotlight indexing works on a Dropbox pretend volume. And quite likely when apps like Pro Tools exit the Dropbox slow asynchronous update, will not actually complete syncing data to the cloud for some time and that might be holding up spotlight indexing stuff.

If this is what you are doing, that is *not* keeping things simple.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
...another thing; the smart folder also shows all auto-created bacup .ptx files, but I'm shure it's possible to set a criterium to exclude them.
I found it. It was a matter of holding "option" key as you add a criterium, the plus sign turns to "...", and you get the option to exclude all filenames containing ".bak.".
This means I have a folder on my desktop that shows all .ptx files on the mac, ordered by mod date in descending order.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 11-27-2020 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:53 PM

Ben, thanks about your advise. However, that method is exactly the same that I use when saving searches. The problem is that Finder does not find my PT projects with any of the search methods, not even when I search by file name. Finder will find the project folder but not the project file in that folder. And that’s what I don’t understand.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppo59 View Post
Ben, thanks about your advise. However, that method is exactly the same that I use when saving searches. The problem is that Finder does not find my PT projects with any of the search methods, not even when I search by file name. Finder will find the project folder but not the project file in that folder. And that’s what I don’t understand.
Are you shure it's what you do?
My method is not saved spotlight searches at all. It's "smart folder". You create a smart folder, and set criteria for what it's supposed to show. And if you set one criterium to be: "file type must be .ptx" its window will contain every ptx file on your system.

And yes, my smart folder updates when I save a session.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Are you shure it's what you do?
My method is not saved spotlight searches at all. It's "smart folder". You create a smart folder, and set criteria for what it's supposed to show. And if you set one criterium to be: "file type must be .ptx" its window will contain every ptx file on your system.

And yes, my smart folder updates when I save a session.
Your smart folder is using a spotlight search internally. Wether it really shows what you think is every .ptx file on the systems will depend on (sometimes subtle/confusing) behavior of spotlight. There is no point playing with smart folders if spotlight itself cannot find a file.

And you are not saving sessions to a cloud service like Dropbox like the OP is. As I explained that is likely the beginning and end of the issues here, and should not be being used for Pro Tools sessions.