Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2013, 08:14 AM

Default SC48 pops when linking or un linking stereo channels

The weird thing about this is that we had a separate monitor desk, and the SC48 at FOH was causing a pop through ALL the monitors with the input faders down.

It also briefly mutes the desk. As in I had a super quick line check and didn't get around to linking stereo keys until after they started. Pop through the wedges and split second mute of everything at FOH. After the show was over for curiosities sake I unlinked to see if it would happen again, sure enough, another pop through the monitors.

This was with a passive split, one going into the mix rack, the other tail going into the monitor desk.

Is this normal on this desk? I guess I never noticed it before because usually my channels would be linked ahead of time.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:51 AM

Default Re: SC48 pops when linking or un linking stereo channels

This is normal behavior, and the reason the linking function requires you to put the desk in "config" mode. Config mode is required for any function that may interrupt audio and is thus not a good idea during performance. The fact that it affected monitors is simply because it was on a passive split. An active split would likely have popped in FOH but not monitors. This is not to say a passive split is a bad thing, it's just a workflow thing to remember in the future.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:59 AM

I have seen some SC48's that pop and some that don't. They have been in stand-only configs and also passive splits. Do we know why some pop and some don't? I checked and all were on the same firmware.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:19 AM

Thanks Brent. Can't say I'm too pleased about that though. I've never been on another desk that does that, but oh well.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:38 AM

i recently had a show where i could run the mix via aes/ebu to the pa-amps. did not pop when stereo'ing and de-stereo'ing channels. btw, my console usually pops when linking/breaking pairs on analog outputs
Old 07-15-2013, 02:13 PM

There are many variables and possible variations but what's important to remember is that you should really have all outputs muted when performing any functions requiring "config" mode. IMO it's preferable to mute beyond the console (i.e. at crossovers, system interfaces etc). Always better to be safe than sorry.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:25 PM

Brent on the desk that I was at that popped, it didnt matter if outs were muted or not. Still popped. In my opinion that's completely unacceptable. I am fine with audio dropping during my Pre show setup, but popping...
Old 07-16-2013, 08:11 AM

maybe unpatching outputs does prevent poping when linking/unlinking. but yes. the poping sucks a little to be honest.