Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 08-10-2011, 06:50 AM

Default Need work-around: "EuCon will not function well after sleep"

It is stated in the FAQ that EuCon will not function well after sleep. http://euphonix.avid.com/artist/ux/e...s.php?detail=5

However, it must be possible to work around this some how?!

If I log out of Windows 7 and back in, EuCon connects beautifully after sleep mode, which leads me to think that all I really need is a means to stop and start a service in the computer after sleep - i.e. intiate the connection process again. Logging in and out is possible, but a rather slow workaround given that this forces the PC to reinitiate the whole desktop, all users services etc. etc. It takes approx. 2-3 minutes, when this should really take only a couple of seconds.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

BTW: This explaintion makes no sense to me: "Sleep loses the network connection on the workstation, and EuCon goes into a bad state because it needs an active network to be available. Our EuCon database process that runs in the background will no longer receive messages from the existing EuCon nodes (application and/or workstations on the network) and will therefore remove the nodes. They will have to be relaunched after this to become available again.

Well, I fully understands what it says, however considering that a whole computer with multiple USB's etc. etc., network connection etc. etc. is capable of going in and out off sleep easily, then this seems somewhat of an excuse. Of course it is possible to evolve the EuCon protocol to manage sleep... or at least add some "reconnect button" to the EuControl...

The MC transport is a cool, elegant and beautify product. To this moment this sleep issue is the only thing that disappoints me. And, frankly given the attention to details and the pricetag of this product I'm abit surprised (and disappointed). Luckily this should be easy to fixed with a minor software update ;-)
Old 08-10-2011, 06:55 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe
Default Re: Need work-around: "EuCon will not function well after sleep"

I think this is a system issue.
It does the same thing on Mac Os x.

When the computer goes to sleep it shuts down the ethernet connections.
I agree that Eucon shouldn't crash and should manage to somehow stay connected to the sequencer, but it may be harder to do than it seems.

I had to set up my computer to never sleep during the day and I have to close Logic, and Eucon related programs at night.

On my Mac I have made an automator file that quits and reload all programs automatically (reassigning all the channels properly).
Old 08-10-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xill View Post
I think this is a system issue.
It does the same thing on Mac Os x.

I agree that Eucon shouldn't crash and should manage to somehow stay connected to the sequencer, but it may be harder to do than it seems.

I had to set up my computer to never sleep during the day and I have to close Logic, and Eucon related programs at night.

On my Mac I have made an automator file that quits and reload all programs automatically (reassigning all the channels properly).
Thanks Xill. I agree that the devil is often to be found in the details, but at least some "reconnect" button in the software should be possible for a quick manual process.

If not, then I hope that someone could tell me what services or processes I might kill and restart myself?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 PM

C'mon, guys...THINK!
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 08-10-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post

C'mon, guys...THINK!
Obviously you have the solution.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:

C'mon, guys...THINK!
And your point is???
Old 08-11-2011, 03:41 AM

The solution? Sure...just do it the same way you do it to keep your TV on after you unplug the power cord.

The point is...This situation is very thoroughly explained in the FAQ. If the ethernet on the computer is shut down, there is no way for the Eucon device to communicate with it.

The Eucon device needs to communicate with the computer in order to maintain "state".

End of story...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 08-11-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
The solution? Sure...just do it the same way you do it to keep your TV on after you unplug the power cord.

The point is...This situation is very thoroughly explained in the FAQ. If the ethernet on the computer is shut down, there is no way for the Eucon device to communicate with it.

The Eucon device needs to communicate with the computer in order to maintain "state".

End of story...
We're not saying that it's a problem that it disconnects, but that it crashes.
If it didn't crash then a connection could be re-established.

I wouldn't be so sure that it's impossible to fix with an simultaneous update on the sequencers and Eucon side.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:

End of story...
Bill. Do you work for AVID? Or, do you have some other insights into this matter meaning that your are in a position to rule out that a software update could indeed fix this issue or provide some sort of easy and managable work-around, such as for exampel a "reinitiate/reconnect" button in the EuControl software?
Old 08-11-2011, 05:00 PM

Okay...I was a bit harsh and I sincerely apologize...

No, I don't work for Avid but I have been an IT guy for 22 years...mostly software, but way more hardware than I ever wanted to deal with.

I imagine it might be possible to do a software "fix", but it would not be easy to do. Once the Ethernet is disconnected, both the computer and the Eucon unit are subject to change in state. And compensating for that would make things really complicated.

Now, while it could technically be done, would Avid be willing to do it. And my best guess is, given that they recommend disabling "sleep' on machines running Pro Tools, they probably would not be that interested in fixing it.

Both the Pro Tools and the Eucon programmers have a lot of "serious" problems on their plates, and I doubt that what would basically be a "convenience" issue affecting only a small number of users would even make it onto their "to do" list.

Avid may surprise us all, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

Bill in Pittsburgh