Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-19-2004, 10:37 AM

Default DigiDelivery

Kudos to Digi. I had to send a session up to Digidesign via DigiDelivery and I gotta say SLICK! This one is on the top of my buy list!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:37 AM

Default Re: DigiDelivery

Happy now Dr.Sound?
Old 01-19-2004, 11:45 AM

Yes Mr Pirate,
I'm happy now! Good to see you Post this topic here in this "Pro Tools TDM for Post and Surround" forum.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:14 PM

Try Webcargo.net. Faster, cheaper, and no hardware.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:25 PM

Quote:

Why faster?
Old 01-23-2004, 03:07 PM

WebCargo only supports up to 1GB of file transfers. DigiDelivery also offers functionality with the Ptools application.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:05 PM

I think it's worth taking a closer look at the DigiDelivery area of this website. Some key things about DigiDelivery that you should consider. Just what do you have to do to get the same level of functionality? I'm not talking about the specific systems above, but delivery systems in general. These are things you should think about.

1. It's secure. From the sending client to the receiving client, is it automatically always packed into a 128 bit encrypted file? That alone is something that's probably a make or break for people who do business on projects for customers. In fact, if someone stole the server and pulled out the drive would your data still be secure like with DigiDelivery? (Who knows what employee of the week a company like these will have. Do you want to explain this problem to your clients?) This encryption is done as part of the send/ receive process as a part of the single disk read/send. Does your data transfer system do this seamlessly?

2. Lossless compression. If you are sending audio files DigiDelivery can give you perfectly transfered files but, as it uses a bit for bit lossless data compression, it will actually be transfering 20-50% less data over the internet. The packing and depacking process is hidden in the client transfer' receive. Does your data transfer system do this seamlessly?

3. You can blow Mac header information when moving through many servers. With most other systems the files must manually stuff SD2 files or they may be unreadable by the receiving end. Again, this is done in the background during send and receive processes. Does your transfer system handle this seamlessly?

4. With other systems you need to "save a session copy as" first and consolidate all your session to a new folder to assure you have all the files you may have imported. In DigiDelivery you can just save your session, drag it to DigiDelivery, and it will ask if you want to send audio/ video/ plug-ins, etc. Does your transfer system handle this seamlessly?

5. With internet based systems, you must *both* copy not only at Internet speeds, but often at Internet "browser" speeds which are much, much slower. (You have all probably experience downloading some 18 meg update that takes a couple minutes on some systems even though your connection is much faster.) With DigiDelivery you can have a gig session saved, loaded, and ready for them to start downloading in under a minute from the time you save your session. Encrypted, compressed, stuffed, and gone. Does your transfer system handle this seamlessly?

6. With FTP type systems you must create an account for them. In fact you probably want to create a specific folder so they can't see your other pending deliveries. In fact, you probably don't even want them to see which other item are on your FTP as you don't want your Coke client knowing you are also doing spots for Pepsi... Does your transfer system handle this?

7. How easy is it for your clients to send you stuff? With DigiDelivery you can create a account for them on your server. (Note that this is a web interface so you can do this from home if needed.) Then send them a blank delivery. (Say a picture of your cat or something. When they click the link it not only downloads the software on their system but when they receive that lovely picture of your cat they are now set up with all the settings needed to send directly to you with a simple drag and drop and your name even pops up as the default. Does your transfer system make it this easy for your clients? (Note that if they already have the software installed from someone elses DigiDelivery sending them a quick delivery for them to receive will reset their software to your server again.)

8. Can you use your main address book? With Digidelivery you can choose from (a) people in your group with standard accounts (b) people in your group with guest accounts that can only send to those in your group with standard accounts, (c) your own Outlook or Mail address book, or (d) just type in the email directly. Simple and integrated into your life. And when your clients send you stuff can they easily find your staff and select them by name or do they need to remember and enter their email addresses? Can your delivery system do all that?

9. What is the time needed on each end? We plan on shipping an update in the next three months that will allow both side to keep working while their delivery servers handle the internet transfer. You post it at up to gigibit speed, your server calls their server and does the slow internet transfer, then when done the receiver is notified and they can download it at gigagit speeds.

10. DigiDelivery can automatically send a list of deliveries to your accounting group so you can make sure your billing will charge for each delivery that you are providing for your customer. And you don't have to pay part of that to a delivery service anymore! Remember, once you buy the DigiDelivery server, there are no per use fees. It's yours.

And this is just a partial list. If you run a business you know how important customer security and customer experience is. If you get paid for your work you should really check out the business features that DigiDelivery offers.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:50 AM

Quote:

I sent an 8GB session from Chile to USA without ANY problem, it also includes 3:1 video. I get an email telling me it's done, awesome!
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 02-12-2004, 10:55 AM

Quote:

4. With other systems you need to "save a session copy as" first and consolidate all your session to a new folder to assure you have all the files you may have imported. In DigiDelivery you can just save your session, drag it to DigiDelivery, and it will ask if you want to send audio/ video/ plug-ins, etc. Does your transfer system handle this seamlessly?

Since you mention this, may I ask does the sent audio get assigned new UFID's as part of the process? While I applaude the addition of UFID's in PT (it has been a lifesaver at times) we are often frustrated by them as well. Suppose you upload all the needed audio to your client, but then a minor change happens and you either must upload all the material again or your client has to take your session and point to the copied files and deal with the "wrong UFID" message. And with PT6 you can't even link to alternate files anymore! Thanks.

Cheers,
-Polaris
Old 02-17-2004, 09:19 AM

Quote:
And with PT6 you can't even link to alternate files anymore! Thanks.

Cheers,
-Polaris
Sorry to get off-topic here—

Actually, you can easily relink to alternate files and PT6 can find them en masse if you make the correct button clicks. After choosing "Manually Find & Relink" you click the find button and tell it to only search for files by name. You can select all (or most) of the offline audio and click the button below ("find candidates" or something. I'm not in front of it right now) and they start flooding in. It took me 6 months to really get the hang of the new relinking features (perhaps they could be better understood by the manual writers) but now I find I no longer recoil from opening an entire session with alternate audio. Now it takes 2 minutes. THe Copy & Relink feature is also a boon.

As for DigiDelivery, is this thing shipping yet? We were all ready to buy an LT for our production, but it kept getting pushed back and we've gone to ftp instead.