Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2011, 07:41 PM

Default MacBook Pro - USB & FW Connections!

Can someone tell me how I'm supposed to add a (powered) hub to my MBP if PT8/M-Powered requires me to plug my iLok and Fast Track Ultra directly into the only two USB2 ports that I have? I've tried plugging either one into the powered hub and either the iLok flashes continuously and PT8 won't "authorize" it, or the FTU won't get picked up by the computer. If I'm using a FW external harddrive, is there a way to plug in a midi controller in there somewhere? Is there a FW hub that exists with USB2 ports on it? I could have sworn I was able to get into PT8 by plugging my iLok into my powered hub a week or so ago. Please help! I'm assuming its going to come down to a pricier powered hub?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:19 PM

Default Re: MacBook Pro - USB & FW Connections!

I get good results with my ilock and other dongles on a non powered hub.

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue
Old 02-11-2011, 05:37 AM

I've attempted all of this with an unpowered and powered usb hub. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:39 AM

That's weird.. my iLok works totally fine on a powered USB hub. Try experimenting with the different ports maybe?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 AM

Does anyone know of a FireWire hub that also has USB ports on it? That way I could plug my ext HD (FW) and my midi controller (USB) to the computer through the FW port. I've never had low-power/lack of recognition problems with the midi controller.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:50 AM

I believe digi recommends using powered usb hubs for your ilok, it should work. The interface should be connected directly to the computer as should the external h. drive. Your powered hub might be faulty? Can you try another one?
Old 02-11-2011, 09:03 AM

www.macsales.com (assuming you don't have an Express 54/34 port available).... you have a newer 15" right? That was a rotten move on Apple's part to remove that eSata or (mixture of USB and Firewire cards are sold express 54).

...just an idea. If the newer Oxford Chipsets for external enclosures allow both firewire and USB simultaneously and auto negotiate speeds, then you are in business... with an added bonus, another hard drive (as in Sample Library?) If one bus than the lowest speed sets protocol.

Do a search here on eSata Oxford I have them listed. Most are awesome all aluminum enclosures that www.macsales.com (OWC) sells.

You may need a cable www.kimber.com (to adapt to the larger USB dongle). The cables that come with the units have no ferrite beads. They are junk.

www.granite.com (1394 dual ferrite pro cables).

Native-Instruments & RME's new babyface come with dual ferrite cables. When is AVID going to wake up? 11 years now they have been advised of this. Give us a break will ya. NO EMI on m-powered or Le hardware please.

A laser mouse fires at a burst of 1k per second even when idle. Turn off Bluetooth advertisements and bonjour.

Dongles... shish!

This is one reason people are using Ableton Live & REAPER! Friggin dongles....on laptops.

If they don't have it try www.bhphotovideo.com

Or Belkin. Best Buy sells older stock much with out of date firmware. Best to avoid them unless you know exactly the model you are looking for.

What chipset is in the hub? Is it a Belkin? Under Blue Apple (about this mac, click on 'more' with hub attached. What does it say, under devices?

Steinberg makes a USB-2 Midio8 (8 x 8) this is the latest from Yamaha... only use USB-2 MIDI. It may have a second port that will support a dongle legacy 1.1 voltage -- when I say voltage I mean the voltage that signals USB modes (that return transformed by the dongle or the USB fast-track, whatever... )

Prefer not use USB 1.1 for MIDI, particularly on Windows. Your fast track may be USB 2.0 and the dongle 1.1 (legacy) and herein is your trouble. The hub needs to auto negotiate each port. Yours may not.

USB is a hub like ethernet. It relies on a type of mac address, similar to ethernet hubs (not switches). Some cases when legacy USB 1.1 is mixed with 2.0 then you may have problems if the entire hub cannot self negotiate each port. USB 2 supports many more modes, all controlled by voltages.

The voltage controls the mode and this may be part of your problem...i.e. the entire HUB is at the wrong mode for your dongle.

Call OWC tech support... wait...It is worth getting their advise.