Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2018, 12:00 PM

Default Ozone thoughts??

What are people’s thoughts on this plugin?

I’ve heard it’s a CPU hog and as I’m on pro tools 10 HD can only access 4 gig of RAM.

Do people use the single plugin elements in pro tools or are people using the ozone app to master in? Which way has the least hit on the CPU usage

I think I’d like to invest in some kind of mastering suite, so any advice would be appreciated running this in pro tools 10 HD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 01-10-2018, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Ozone thoughts??

I think its great for mastering. Yes it is a hog, plus it has over 5000 samples of latency(and its not a plugin I would use on a individual track). The new version 8 does a damn good job really quickly and its rapidly replacing my usual chain If you are worried about horsepower, its another good reason to leave "mastering" separated from mixing

My thoughts on the 4GB Ram limitation: I understand on paper, that anything above 4GB(actually around 3.4GB) is wasted on a 32 bit app(like Pro Tools 10), if you are running a 64 bit OS, you may still benefit from extra RAM. My empirical evidence relates to my own move from XP(32 bit) to Windows 7 64 bit. On that computer(i7 quad/X58 mobo/6GB triple-channel RAM) with no hardware change at all(from XP to Win 7), my Dverb 2 test count went from 320(on XP) to 500(on Win7 x64). Just food for thought...

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-10-2018, 12:55 PM

Thanks Albee. I’ve never done the DVerb test I’d actually be interested what my Mac Pro can do. I’m running 32GB of RAM. Is it just loading as many tracks with DVerb as possible?

Back to Ozone, I take it I’d be better off using the ozone app to master tracks in than mastering with it in PT then

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 01-10-2018, 01:06 PM

Scroll down a bit on the first page of this thread to read about the specifics of the DVerb test:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:37 PM

I love Ozone 8. It's great. I have the Advanced version and it's nice to have the individual plugins. I would actually recommend the whole Music Production Suite over a single app. The interoperability between Ozone and Neutron and Neutron and every other Neutron instance is a whole new work flow.

It comes with RX6 too which is pretty great if you need some cleaning tools. The other plugs are awesome as well, Nectar 2 is constantly used here. You may want to wait for a sale though, it's full price again right now.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-10-2018, 01:46 PM

Default Ozone thoughts??

How is 8 on CPU usage @benoni have the versions gotten better since say ozone 5 for CPU usage or have they increased

Last edited by Raoul23; 01-10-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
I love Ozone 8. It's great. I have the Advanced version and it's nice to have the individual plugins. I would actually recommend the whole Music Production Suite over a single app. The interoperability between Ozone and Neutron and Neutron and every other Neutron instance is a whole new work flow.

It comes with RX6 too which is pretty great if you need some cleaning tools. The other plugs are awesome as well, Nectar 2 is constantly used here. You may want to wait for a sale though, it's full price again right now.
Agreed! Much better than 7 as far as sound and compressors etc.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 01-10-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
How is 8 on CPU usage @benoni have the versions gotten better since say ozone 5 for CPU usage or have they increased

It depends on what modules you are using. It can eat up a lot of power and have a lot of latency, but I'm using it on an older PC and am able to do what I need to.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-10-2018, 02:34 PM

Ozone8 still a HUGE CPU hog but if you plan the sessions out beforehand you can have the bounced tracks and automations etc already in audio format so when you are ready to master the stems are already done and that way I don't see an issue using O8 on HD10

Of course this is just my thoughts and not in any way the end all option but well worth doing on any computer spec as it just makes everything flow nicely.

We do these steps with the bounced stems even though the record companies pay for professional mastering suites so we haven't mastered ourselves ever. Takes way more knowledge than buying a "mastering plugin" and the learning curve to master for big artists songs that goes on radio worldwide and charts takes many many years and IMHO should be done by the pro's in their field

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-10-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Ozone8 still a HUGE CPU hog but if you plan the sessions out beforehand you can have the bounced tracks and automations etc already in audio format so when you are ready to master the stems are already done and that way I don't see an issue using O8 on HD10

Of course this is just my thoughts and not in any way the end all option but well worth doing on any computer spec as it just makes everything flow nicely.

We do these steps with the bounced stems even though the record companies pay for professional mastering suites so we haven't mastered ourselves ever. Takes way more knowledge than buying a "mastering plugin" and the learning curve to master for big artists songs that goes on radio worldwide and charts takes many many years and IMHO should be done by the pro's in their field

This is true I know, but I get a few bands that just don’t have the money to get their tracks mastered professionally. I’ve been using Slate FG-X for ages just on the master bus to add level etc, but thought I might invest in a few semi pro mastering plugins