Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2019, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Anyone know the exact path to delete temp files that PT puts in the drive?

Sorry for keeping thid thread dragging on but I checked the HD Total usage and it says that ”SYSTEM” uses up 166GB of the internal SSD on the Trashcan with HS and that seems to be pretty much for the system and all that entails.

Anyone care to check their Mac who uses a medium amount of software like PT Ultimate and Live10Suite and Melodyne etc

Thank you soo much for all your input guys

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-07-2019, 04:49 PM

Default Anyone know the exact path to delete temp files that PT puts in the drive?

Chris, what’s the size of the drive in your Mac Pro?

I have a 250GB boot drive partitioned two ways. The main partition has a lot of audio software and some graphics stuff installed.

166GB usage for a boot drive with just PT, Ableton and plugins seems excessive to me, unless you have some VI libraries on there which I don’t believe you do.

Live Suite does install all its libraries to the boot drive by default, so that could be taking up some space if you have all of them installed. They can be moved to an ext. drive though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2019, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Anyone know the exact path to delete temp files that PT puts in the drive?

Hey Sardi, Thanks for helping out here.

This is on my private Trashcan with 250GB SSD and 32GB Ram.

I do have the Ableton libraries on a few external Thunderbolt drivesSSD along with NI and Refx etc and the only libraries on there are for Trophies (9,6GB) as it cant be moved and a few smaller ones like 400MB and so on which leads me to believe there are quite a few big temp files somewhere or some other mastodont files I cant find as I dont know where to look.

I have about 20 VI and 250-300 plugins but 90% of the libraries are on extremal SSD’s and also record to Thunderbolt SSD’s and the internal drive is one big partition.

I am hoping I can find out why there is soo much GB used. I have CCC on there but that doesn’t make any copies on the main drive right? Only the target SSD which is done on 2 different 500GB Samsung Pro’s.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-07-2019, 05:13 PM

CCC shouldn’t be creating anything on your boot drive so you can definitely rule that out.

It definitely sounds high, so there must be something on there taking up space.

Silly question, but you don’t have a ton of installers in your download folder do you? I’ve seen some people’s download folder have like 30GB of app installers in there.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
CCC shouldn’t be creating anything on your boot drive so you can definitely rule that out.

It definitely sounds high, so there must be something on there taking up space.

Silly question, but you don’t have a ton of installers in your download folder do you? I’ve seen some people’s download folder have like 30GB of app installers in there.

Hehe Yeah have done that mistake before and forgot to empty the download folder and there were like 75GB of files but that was on a MBP a few years ago. This one is pretty clean but I am going to check the Avid download folder and a few more places as I ”still think I seen a Air folder with the Structure files” but as I have that on the library drive I am unsure of that and if so then that would be like 45-50GB so I will have another big look for crap session in the morning and get back as soon as I done that thoroughly.

Again Thanks for the suggestions and help here.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-07-2019, 05:21 PM

Another silly suggestion; you do restart every now and then? I've seen temp files need a restart to disappear before.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 12-07-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:27 PM

I've been using Daisydisk for years, it's the best:
DaisyDisk - Analyze disk usage and free up disk space on Mac

Old 12-07-2019, 06:00 PM

Thanks Ben, Gonna look at that program too. I’ll try anything at this point.

In regards to restarts its in my home setup so I turn everything off at night since I have a few toys there too. And same with our studio rooms. Everytime we leave we turn everything off so we save the gear and the planet

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-07-2019, 08:16 PM

Hey Chris,

Just a follow up on your Log file query.

I just went to and looked at the size of the AVID folder in User/Library/Logs/Avid and mine is 391 MB. That's megabyte, not gigabyte. Not a typo.

Now, I have NEVER deleted anything out of that folder, so this is going back to when this partition was originally set up which would be probably just over two and a half years now.

So, I very much doubt that is the cause of your boot drive having so little free space. I might be totally wrong, but I'd be looking elsewhere for the issue.

Best of luck.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:40 PM

Any chance it is a Time Machine local snapshot?
I found this eating up about 20 gig on my machine.
https://www.macworld.com/article/326...-your-mac.html
Worth a try