Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Waves AAX DSP New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
If you possessed an ounce of initiative you could check for yourself but you haven't.
Who says we haven't?

Wave-T.com
Old 12-12-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Who says we haven't?
I do...
Old 12-12-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I do...
Well take that hat and eat it busta Cause you just placed your foot squarely in your mouth.

Wave-T.com
Old 12-12-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Well take that hat and eat it busta Cause you just placed your foot squarely in your mouth.
We'll see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7miRCLeFSJo
Old 12-12-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I have said on various occasions my information has come direct from Waves. For example here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=331321

What more do you want? If you possessed an ounce of initiative you could check for yourself but you haven't. The best you can do is take cheap shots at me from the anonymity of the internet. LAME!

Guess what Einstein....my source gave me the information because he WANTED me to post it here.

Yes you mentioned it came direct from Waves but you refused to say from whom in Waves it was or what department. Engineering, sales or what? And did your source give you permission to post what was sent to you in supposed confidence on probably a private email on a public forum? Unless said source expressly said that then your posting that here is highly suspect and not right.

QAPLA!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
And posting a link to some lame tune is going to make your point? You make big boasts for someone hiding behind an unnamed source.

QAPLA!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Yes you mentioned it came direct from Waves but you refused to say from whom in Waves it was or what department. Engineering, sales or what? And did your source give you permission to post what was sent to you in supposed confidence on probably a private email on a public forum? Unless said source expressly said that then your posting that here is highly suspect and not right.
Jeez... I've just told you.... my source gave me the information because he WANTED me to post it here.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I have said on various occasions my information has come direct from Waves. For example here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=331321

What more do you want? If you possessed an ounce of initiative you could check for yourself but you haven't. The best you can do is take cheap shots at me from the anonymity of the internet. LAME!

Guess what Einstein....my source gave me the information because he WANTED me to post it here.

Unfortunately that is the problem. If Waves Audio is sneaking around leaking information on their own, and to their own demise in PT world anyway, that makes them lose a lot of credibility for me. They are big boys, leaking info by way of a secret informant causes a lot of turmoil but really does nothing to help anyone, themselves included. It's causing people to move away from them, and really hurting their reputation. In my opinion anyway. And by way of all you've said, Waves is building up the hopes of those invested in HDX and secretly pushing them down at the same time. No disrespect Marsdy, but if we all email waves and state that "we are dropping their company (HDX users, not me personally) because Marsdy on the DUC has a source that works for your company. Blah blah blah". That doesn't look good for them or you or anyone either.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Full optimization doesn't have to or should wait for 64 bit.
True.

But what is "full optimization" anyway? Getting the first working version out surely isn't optimized, but how far should a company go with its efforts? Should a plug be optimized until we see "5X improvement" or is it simply good enough to double the instances? Are we happy when se see "some" improvement within a year or do we wait for even more improvements in the future?

I think plugin vendors are going to stop when they double the instance count of the first working version.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaps View Post
Indeed. Coders have been coding for TDM for darn near 20 years. Everything is optimized to the fullest. We have to give HDX more than 11 months to get their optimizations down.
Sure.

But remember, these are apples to oranges kind of comparison. TDM is all about assembly-level fixed-point math (the real DSP processes) and the new chips are working on higher level (thus the easier-to-code software development kit) and utilize floating-point math, just as any native plug.

It is a whole lot harder to get a working TDM plug out than a working native plug, which means that a working TDM plug is kind of optimized to begin with. Native code is ugly, and yes, it really needs to be optimized but it takes time -- almost as long as developing a TDM plug.

AFAIK, vendors have their first priority to release "something" and they'll continue optimizing the code later. Don't be angry about the performance of v1 AAX-DSP plugins.