How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2015, 09:30 PM

Default Getting midi signal but no notes are recording

DAW: Pro Tools 9.0.6

On an instrument track I've inserted the digi mini grand. The midi input is set to all. The output is set to mini grand 1 -> channel 1.

When I open up the mini grand VI and mouse click the piano keys, I hear audio. I'm not using a controller, strictly the plug-in and/or drawing in data on the piano scroll. In the past this worked fine since I've programmed BFD drums this way. But that was years ago that I last tried anything like this and now when I record, none of that midi information is recording. The region just shows up as blank.

If I set the output of the instrument track to an audio track and record that, the audio is indeed recording.

I just can't seem to record the midi info for whatever reason. It's been a long time since I've used a midi VI so I'm probably just missing something simple. Any help? Would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Getting midi signal but no notes are recording

Have you tried recording MIDI to a MIDI track? People have been reporting far too many instrument track random errors than I would like to see. The oldskool method should work if instrument track fails.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samzilla View Post
DAW: Pro Tools 9.0.6

On an instrument track I've inserted the digi mini grand. The midi input is set to all. The output is set to mini grand 1 -> channel 1.

When I open up the mini grand VI and mouse click the piano keys, I hear audio. I'm not using a controller, strictly the plug-in and/or drawing in data on the piano scroll. In the past this worked fine since I've programmed BFD drums this way. But that was years ago that I last tried anything like this and now when I record, none of that midi information is recording. The region just shows up as blank.

If I set the output of the instrument track to an audio track and record that, the audio is indeed recording.

I just can't seem to record the midi info for whatever reason. It's been a long time since I've used a midi VI so I'm probably just missing something simple. Any help? Would be appreciated. Thanks.
Select 'instruments' from the View menu for the Edit window and check that the MIDI routing is correct there for the instrument track you're using.

You do/did record enable the instrument track right? As well as record/play in the transport (or just hit f12)?

QAPLA!
Old 01-05-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Have you tried recording MIDI to a MIDI track? People have been reporting far too many instrument track random errors than I would like to see. The oldskool method should work if instrument track fails.
I haven't tried that yet. Worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Select 'instruments' from the View menu for the Edit window and check that the MIDI routing is correct there for the instrument track you're using.

You do/did record enable the instrument track right? As well as record/play in the transport (or just hit f12)?
I gave the midi routing in the OP. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Input is set to All and output is set to Mini Grand 1 -> Channel 1 (I'm not in front of pro tools to remember exactly the output wording but it was something to that effect). Maybe that's the problem?

And yes, the instrument track is record enabled and I've tried recording. As mentioned, the regions generate during recording, but the midi data isn't recording. Audio is recording just fine.

Could the issue be Pro Tool 9.0.6 on Lion 10.7.5? My digimiomididriver is incompatible with Lion, so my 002 doesn't work as a midi interface anymore. But since I'm not using my 002 as an interface, I didn't think it would be a problem.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samzilla View Post
I haven't tried that yet. Worth a shot.

I gave the midi routing in the OP. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Input is set to All and output is set to Mini Grand 1 -> Channel 1 (I'm not in front of pro tools to remember exactly the output wording but it was something to that effect). Maybe that's the problem?

And yes, the instrument track is record enabled and I've tried recording. As mentioned, the regions generate during recording, but the midi data isn't recording. Audio is recording just fine.

Could the issue be Pro Tool 9.0.6 on Lion 10.7.5? My digimiomididriver is incompatible with Lion, so my 002 doesn't work as a midi interface anymore. But since I'm not using my 002 as an interface, I didn't think it would be a problem.
This is a different routing that shows when you select 'instruments' from the View menu for the edit screen. This shows the routing to a specific vi channel from the MIDI in the track.

QAPLA!
Old 01-05-2015, 02:52 PM

It will work if you use a midi control keyboard.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 01-05-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
This is a different routing that shows when you select 'instruments' from the View menu for the edit screen. This shows the routing to a specific vi channel from the MIDI in the track.
Okay, I'll check this out further. Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy_Boy View Post
It will work if you use a midi control keyboard.
Maybe for my birthday.