Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2021, 08:25 PM

Default avid I/O balanced output behavior

Avid I/O behaves when connected to unbalanced inputs.

It would be great if Avid would be forthcoming about how the balanced outs will behave. I already know about the 192 outputs and they are a disaster. I recently went through a lot of hair pulling trying to get this information. And on one unit, apparently one card went bad, leaving some outputs able to drive unbalanced and others not able to. Pleas Avid, tell us what THESE UNITS WILL DO OR NOT!
Old 01-10-2021, 09:12 AM

Default Re: avid I/O balanced output behavior

Reading the manual is the simple way to learn what works and what doesn't work. The manual is also quite clear on the fact that using the balanced IO in unbalanced mode will damage the unit if you ground the cold connection. The only real drawback to this is the lack of off-the-shelf cables to run that way. When I needed to use a 192 for headphone mixes, I modified a cable to suit and it worked perfectly. AFAIK, all the Digilink IO by Avid(or Digidesign) perform the same.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave