Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 AM

Default Pro Tools on Win7 and Mac Keyboard????

hey there,

I have an urgent question:

I'm wondering if it is possible to run Pro Tools 10 under Win7 (x64) and connect a MAC Keyboard using it with MAC Shortcuts?

The reason for this is as follows: Professionally I'm working with Pro Tools on a MAC and would like to buy Pro Tools 10 for my homestudio. Of course I learned all the MAC Shortcuts and therefore it would be essential to be able to use those MAC Shortcuts but on a PC - since I don't want to buy a Mac only for this reason.

I've read some posts in forums where people reported that connecting a Mac Keyboard and mapping keys by a tool like KeyTweak or whatever is generally possible. But i don't know what Pro Tools does then -i mean all functions on a MAC can also be done on a PC but only on different keys...which then could possibly be mapped...This of course only would work if win and mac shortcuts only differ in "Win" and "ALT" Keys
can anyone help???
Old 02-29-2012, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools on Win7 and Mac Keyboard????

Under the "Help" menu in PT there is a shortcut guide you might check out that shows all Mac/PC shortcut commands side by side. Even with remapping the keys, some different combinations will still exist.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:49 PM

I use a new mac keyboard on my windows machine. The CNTRL key is the control key. The Windows key is the command key, and the Alt key is the option key. So it's really not exactly the same as Mac or PC, but I got used to it. In order to mac it more "Mac" like you'd have to use a program to change the keys. I checked out keytweak and it seems to work for what you want.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
I use a new mac keyboard on my windows machine. The CNTRL key is the control key. The Windows key is the command key, and the Alt key is the option key. So it's really not exactly the same as Mac or PC, but I got used to it. In order to mac it more "Mac" like you'd have to use a program to change the keys. I checked out keytweak and it seems to work for what you want.
Thanks for that. I even found a thread here in this forum where people said when tweaking the keys on the mac keyboard it's 99% the same shortcuts as on a real mac. That's worth a try
Old 03-02-2012, 06:30 AM

I use a standard windows keyboard an map the windows modifier keys to the Mac position. This will get you 99% of the way there. Alt moved to with windows key, windows key moves to the control key, and control moves to the alt key. No need to spend 100 dollars on a Mac keyboard. I use keytweak.
Best