Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 05-05-2016, 12:20 PM

Default Plug in appears in Audiosuite menu but not in my inserts

Hello,

I use my Pro Tools 10 to record piano tracks and I have terrible tape noise that I'm trying to reduce without going straight to the EQ. So I downloaded a 7-day rental of 2 Broadband Noise Reduction plug ins from the Avid store. Once I figured out how to download and authorize the plug ins, I found that when I click the Audiosuite menu in my Pro Tools project, I see Noise Reduction and then I see the BNR that I bought. But when I go to add this plug in to a track, Noise Reduction is not an option - not as a multi-channel nor mono plug in. It's just not there, it's like the BNR doesn't exist, yet I can see it in the Audiosuite menu. So I went to my Digidesign Library, deleted the two BNR plug ins, then I reinstalled them. Same thing, can't add them to my tracks. Help! I've only got 7 days to work with this and day one has been disastrous so far... thank you! Hope someone out there has been through this already and has an idea as to how to fix it...
Old 05-05-2016, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Plug in appears in Audiosuite menu but not in my inserts

It is that way by design. Most noise reduction plug-ins are like this (some exceptions are out there) because it's a demanding process and it's really better done offline.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:17 PM

BNR has to "learn" the parameters of the file, then process it. And it never has worked in real time. It's ONLY an audiosuite plugin.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:12 PM

Okay, please excuse my ignorance... how do I send audio signal to the BNR then? If I can't select it as an insert on any track, how does it work? When I click on the Audiosuite menu and select the BNR, the BNR window opens up but I don't see how I'm supposed to send a signal to it to process for noise reduction. And the instructions I found for it are ridiculously unhelpful...
Old 05-05-2016, 08:00 PM

The Audiosuite window will work on whatever you have selected in the edit window. Select a region and hit the Preview button to hear the effect. Then Process to commit. (I might be off on the terminology...)
Old 05-05-2016, 10:08 PM

No offense is intended. but I have to ask, how do you have "terrible tape noise"?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-05-2016, 11:38 PM

To further elaborate....open the plugin, highlight a part of the audio file that's JUST the noise, hit "learn." Then highlight the whole thing, and choose either "fit" or "superfit." Then you get to adjust the reduction parameters, audition them, and then process them. Don't overdo it...you can get a lot of aliasing, and make your file sound almost "robotic." Curious about said "tape noise" as well. Common if you recorded too low and tried to fix it by normalizing. Best fix is to record hot enough to begin with. BNR might put a bandaid on it, but not a very great good one.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:24 AM

Thanks everyone! I have been trying to get the BNR to "learn" the audio of the noise but it just doesn't react. I think something went wrong in the install, and of course I tried to get tech support from Avid but they charge $39.95! Anyway, I'm dealing with it. How did I get the noise? I think I did record too low and once I turn up the volume of course you can hear it. Also, the ringing in my ears is really messing with my ability to hear things clearly - I have the dreaded tinnitus. Really sucks. But thanks everyone.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie450 View Post
Thanks everyone! I have been trying to get the BNR to "learn" the audio of the noise but it just doesn't react. I think something went wrong in the install, and of course I tried to get tech support from Avid but they charge $39.95! Anyway, I'm dealing with it. How did I get the noise? I think I did record too low and once I turn up the volume of course you can hear it. Also, the ringing in my ears is really messing with my ability to hear things clearly - I have the dreaded tinnitus. Really sucks. But thanks everyone.
The noise could be due to a number of things - noisy environment that you don't hear when recording but the mic picks up; self-noise in the mic; noise in the preamp; etc.

As to the tinnitus - you're not alone. Some days it gets really bad for me and I'll have multiple frequencies going on. I find that on the worst days my blood pressure seems to be elevated. What also doesn't help is if my sinuses are compromised (ears, nose and throat are all interconnected). There's no true cure for tinnitus yet but maybe some homeopathic remedies. Because of the problem I've invested in several plugins that let me see the signal like spectrum analyzers. That way I can see where the different parts of the signal are.

QAPLA!
Old 01-19-2019, 12:59 PM

No-one seems to have answered the actual question?
I've got the same problem. Just installed a plug-in from computer music & says it's an insert (it's called SpeakerSIM.... looks really interesting for getting that 'telephone' effect on a vocal, but course, time to experiment...) & I can see it in my audio suite plug-ins (which, to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what they actually are?... surely you can process any audio by just bouncing out?!) but not in my insert, yet, the screen shot in mag says its there?!... flummoxed as this has happened a few times!?...
Anyone?