Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-23-2006, 03:25 PM

Default CPU usage is holding off USB audio

CPU usage is holding off USB audio

So, I think I've tried everything in the book and on this website as far as troubleshooting this one. Can someone help?

I get this error any time I try to record for an extended length of time through my MBox, but i don't through a 002. Also happens when I try to bounce or internally record to another track using busses. No plug-ins or automation running at all. I also get noise when I connect my MBox one of the USB ports and not the other. Doesn't matter what i set for the hardware buffer size, cpu usage, playback buffer, new or old session......

I have a Powerbook G4 1.67, 1.5Gb ram, FW800/400/USB (tried them all) Lacie hard drive, freshly formatted system, changed energy savings to "never", hard drives not falling asleep, nothing extra of factory except memory and Pro Tools and I still get this error. Not running though a hub, not using any other USB ports. Extremely confused. Little frusterated.

Hope someone can help,

Thanks
Old 10-23-2006, 05:36 PM

Default Re: CPU usage is holding off USB audio

Hello Justin,

I'm new to Protools, and I was getting the same error. It turned out, in my case, that I had my mBox plugged into a USB hub. When I unplugged it from the hub and connected it directly to the USB port on the back of my machine, that made the difference.

Since then, I've only had one such error (on a 31 minute bounce). At that point I quit out of two open applications I wasn't using, and I was able to get it done.

Maybe that'll help? Hope so.

Bond

G5 Dual-Core PPC
3.5 GB ram
Mac OSX 10.4.8
Protools LE 7.1
Old 10-24-2006, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the advice man, but I've tried all of that. Not using anything else on USB ports or having any other applications open. My dashboard has nothing in it too...

Thanks
Old 10-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Avid

What is the error number in the message?
Old 10-24-2006, 11:11 AM

As far as troubleshooting, I've formatted, given ProTools a clean slate, changed power settings to optimal, tried the OSX 10.4 at a variety of stages of updates, turned off airport/bluetooth, used no other usb devices, recorded to various hard drives (internal, different externals that work with other systems), disabled dashboard, put nothing in dashboard..... Contacted Digi through the website a few times to no avail (if a digi tech support person is looking at this, my email was justinbrandt@insightbb.com), contacted applecare (case # 69182278), talked to countless peers/instructors in the MTSU Recording department.

Thanks for the help everyone, I did find a post that said replacing their USB cable from the one they got from digi fixed their problem. Going to try that. I'll let you know if that helps.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Avid

Have you run the firmware updater yet? If not, you should definitely do that, as it very likely will fix the problem.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:51 PM

Same problem here.... MBox 1, MacPro 2.66, PTLE7.1.1cs2

How do i run a firmware update? Is that within PT? the MBox? or on the MacPro itself?

thanks!
Old 10-25-2006, 01:56 PM

Yes, I have run the firmware update also, forgot to include that. Changed the cable to no avail.

Thanks for the help, let me know if you got anything else...
Old 10-26-2006, 12:49 PM

I have what appears to be a solution to this issue.
I know it's always best to have a dedicated audio drive, but I don't have an external yet for my Mac Book Pro.

I've got:

Pro Tools 7.1.1
Mbox Original
Mac Book Pro 2.16 GHz w/ 2 GB RAM
Mac OS X 10.4.8

I was getting 9136 errors constantly, most probably due to a bottle neck of hard drive access.
I was getting stalls with one audio track and no plugins.
I've got plenty of RAM so I decided to turn virtual memory off.

Since then I've tested up to 24 tracks with plugins with no problems.

Turning paging (virtual memory) off can be done as follows:

From the terminal:

// Give yourself full superuser access
% sudo su -

// List the contents of the virtual memory directory
% ls /private/var/vm

You should see some files named swap0, swap1, etc.

// Copy your boot script, such that edits can be reversed
% cp /etc/rc /etc/rc.orig

// Use any of many editors (pico, emacs, vi, etc.) to edit the boot script
% vi /etc/rc

Find the line containing 'dynamic_pager' (probably something like "/sbin/dynamic_pager ${encryptswap} -F ${swapdir}/swapfile").

Add a '#' to the beginning of the line to comment it out.

Save the file and reboot.

When you view the virtual memory directory again, you should not see any files named swap0, swap1, etc.

Good luck!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 03:17 PM

DigiTechSupt - would you suggest this also? (turning off the virtual memory)

I also run a number of other presentation programs that use virtual memory extensively. Would this turn off virtual memory completely, or just for ProTools?

No offense to Cogitor and I'm glad its working wonderfully for you, but I'm just not sure about taking that step. It really really seems like I shouldn't have to (especially sense there are hundreds or thousands of others with the exact same system as me that it works seamlessly with)

Thanks to all

Anyone have any suggestions?