Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-24-2004, 01:45 PM

Default HELP ME PLS missing tracks??!!

Ok so I have been working about 6 hrs a day recording all my new songs.... closed everything down yesterday. when i opened the files up today... every song that I opened prompted me when I opened it up it said "missing files" I clicked go find.... NUTHIN!!! what the hell.. some guitar tracks are completely gone! drum tracks! I even backed up the files on another drive and the backups say the same thing! good lord... what can I do? I have already re-done some of the guitar tracks... another anoying thing is every time i open the file it says its missing them.. even the ones I have re-done... how do I get rid of the alert box ?

CRAP...

Help me obiwan .... your my only hope.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:25 PM

Default Re: HELP ME PLS missing tracks??!!

Did you delete any old sessions since it last worked?
Old 08-24-2004, 03:39 PM

OK Badooker ,, clam down,, I am sure we will get you through this.. There is no way they are gone completely , unless like Brent said , you deleated some OTHER sessions inbetween the time of these "missing files" sessions were shut down and turned back on.. BUT EVEN THEN you would to have "imported" these sounds/files from them other sessions. And you mentioned you were laying guitar track, so I imagine these were all original sounds/files to your system/hard drive.. Right ?? Or no?? In other words,, were these files that are missing "Imported" (borrowed) into this new session FROM another session ?? Or were they all brand new original files ??

Answer that, and we will move forward --
Old 08-24-2004, 04:15 PM

no I havent deleted any sessions...
Old 08-24-2004, 04:29 PM

yes these were all original sound files created within a session... no importing. Thats what stumped me. Also, alot of other odd files from other original sessions are missing. They are ghosted out in the listing of takes on the right hand side of the edit screen. My puter did freeze yesterday and required me to hold the power button to restart it. I did run disk first aid... and nothing needed fixing.

b
Old 08-24-2004, 04:37 PM

OK,, I know what you mean about "ghosted out" files over there in the "audio bin" , and even on the tracks if it is missing, and has not been found... I have experienced this as well before. What is odd to me is that it is happening to you alot, and with different sessions.

BUT,, first things first, we need to find where the files went to, then steer them back to their correct songs, then make sure this doesn't keep happening..

So,, outside of Pro Tools (when Pro Tools is QUIT) run a SEARCH for any of the files names, try to remember some of the REAL names of the missing audio files, and run a search for them to see if you can at least FIND the files on your drive. Or ANY of your drives for that matter..

Which leads me to question #2 -- How many drives do you have for your OS, and for your Audio recording sessions etc.....??

Tell me what happens when you do the search.. And make sure you are searching for the REAL name of the audio file, and not some "sub name" you gave it...
Old 08-24-2004, 10:21 PM

Ok, I will search tomorrow. As for your drive question.. I have a drive with the operating system. .. another big drive for my sessions, and a third that I drag the folder over to make a backup after I have worked on a session. Thought I was bullet proof.

b
Old 08-25-2004, 01:00 AM

OK,, (sorry 'bout tha delay, I had to run to Jack In The Box)...
Anyway,,,Cool,, let me know what you come up with.

It is good you have that you have 3 drives. That is the way to go...

Which reminds me,, what KIND of drives are they??. Not name brands, but SCSI, ATA , Fire, etc..??

And MAKE SURE to run searches with "sherlock" on ALL the drives, yes even your OS drive. Just check, and double check over every single one.. (ALL 3) --

Oh, and you may want to run searches for the names of the sessions as well (ON ALL 3 DRIVES)...

What I'm thinking happened is them files were accidentally saving to another drive somewhere. Which means it would have saved in a separate folder with the sessions SAME name...

Also if you DO find these folders/files, don't do anything yet,, post back on here, and I will walk you through the correct proceedure to get it all back right,, and so it won't happen again !!!

Cool --

I'll be waiting for the good news --
Old 08-25-2004, 01:11 AM

A few days ago the same thing happened to me. I was freaked out also. I noticed that sometimes when you drag a session folder from your "Internal HD" over to your "External HD" sometimes not all the "Audio Files" get completely transfered/copied to your External HD. Try clicking on your "Macintosh HD" icon from your desktop. You might see either a session folder there with the audio files folder located inside. Or you might just see a "Audio Files" folder. If you do by any chance find your missing Audio files just drag the missing audio files back to the "audio folder" in the session. Make sure PT is not running when you do this. Then try opening it and see if it worked. I dont know very much about Pro Tools but this seemed to work for me. I hope it works for you. And also..it might be a good idea that when you transfer a session folder over to your external, make sure you open it up from there and see if everything is ok.
OWC Mercury Elite 120GB Hard Drive
M-Box PT 6.1.2
Korg Triton
MidiSport 1x1
Event TR8 Powered Monitors
Old 08-26-2004, 07:26 AM

did a search and the files are not found... perhaps a part of my drive got knackerd when it froze up and I had to reboot by pushing the power button. Thats about all I can think of. I did run disk first aid and it didnt say it fixed any lost chains or links or anything.... its probably a sound terrorist... I dunno. I managed to re-record the missing tracks. My only concern is that for the next few months I will be adding more and more and hope that this sort of thing doesnt happen again. Thanks everyone for your help and if you can think of anything else let me know.

b