Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-07-2004, 07:46 AM

Default upgrade to 002??

Well... I am considering upgrading my 001.. which works just fine.. to an 002. But I would like to hear from someone who has done it to see if they felt it was worth their while. ??

what say ye digi users... is this a good deal or just another example of the "man" trying to keep the little guy down.

b
Old 08-07-2004, 06:27 PM

Default Re: upgrade to 002??

Quote:
Well... I am considering upgrading my 001.. which works just fine.. to an 002. But I would like to hear from someone who has done it to see if they felt it was worth their while. ??

what say ye digi users... is this a good deal or just another example of the "man" trying to keep the little guy down.

b
Well, I didn't do it. I'm sticking with my 001, but that's probably because I record 4 channels at once and use high end outboard pres and converters. An 002 would be a downgrade from that setup.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:50 PM

Well, If you are only using the onboard mic pre's, you will gain a little in quality and 2 more mic pres. If you are using outboard pre's, you may not notice any improvement and may as well keep using what you have. I would probably spend the money on some good mic pre's that you can run into the 001 via lightpipe. That will be the best inprovement in audio. Just my opinion even though I use an 002(first digi product I happened to purchase).

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-07-2004, 11:07 PM

What about the converters? Rarely will you hear someone who has used both boxes that does not comment on the obvious upgrade on the 002 as far as conversion goes. The 001's pres sound like poo.. and the converters are a significant step down from the 002's.

If you have outboard pres and converters.. there is no motive for the upgrade really.. otherwise, Id look into it.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:16 PM

I did it... sent my 001 in for an 002 console.
Lost a lot of desk space; not to impressed with the pre-upgrade (the 001's seemed quieter)

More I/O? didn't need it; 96Khz... Jury still out.

Toss a coin and hope you will see PTLE7.0 before the maintenance year ends. 001's won't support PTLE7.0.

my emotions making this decision:
Old 08-07-2004, 11:16 PM

Quote:
If you have outboard pres and converters.. there is no motive for the upgrade really..
...except for mobility, of course. I use it with my powerbook and love the fact that I can take it around to record on the fly.

I used to have a 001 and I think the 002 is much better. I do use an RME ADAT interface for my AD conversion, but I use the 002r's headphone amp and DA...it's a good step up from the 001. I've also not had any problems with stability...something that gets thrown around these forums a lot. I think it's worthwhile.

NOt to mention that the pres are certainly usable while the 001's pres were not.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:04 AM

This is not a new question and I have responded to others, but feel compelled to answer you as well.
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did it and have had nothing but regrets. My 001 worked fine with never a crash. 002 crashes, loses connection and I will eventually have to replace the power harness I am sure. The main question you should ask yourself, do I really need more than what I have for what I am recording/producing. I didn't but wanted to keep up with the Joneses. Now I am stuck with an expensive "toy" and will eventually have to either replace it or go to a totally different DAW.
Good luck. Look around for other similar threads and read. Some have switched and not regreted it.
Just my 2 cents.

Keep Making the MUSIC
Old 08-09-2004, 07:10 AM

thanks everyone... Im not a newbie but dont really understand the 001 pre's . I guess for my use this seems to be working fine... I am more of a musician than an engineer I suppose, thats why i dont see the need to go to 96. Sounds fine to me.. i think st.peppers sounds cool.. I think that was done on a 4 track tape machine... but I do appreciate everyones opinion. I think its the updating that concerns me. Curse you digi for throwing such a wrench in my life... bastard guy's! I dont see why they cant support the 001.... its a good rig....again.. bastard guys!

cool baby!

b
Old 08-09-2004, 11:26 AM

the experience with the 002 seems very different for everyone. aside from the occasional buffer underrun, i have no problems with it. the power harness issue is rare and when it does happen, it's a quick and simple fix.

it's a love-hate kind of deal, like choosing DAWs. Some like Logic, others like ProTools. Occasionally, you'll get someone like me who is fluent in several DAWs.

I'd suggest that you give it a shot. My stability increased at least 10-fold (but then again, i was upgrading from an Mbox)

rMacBook Pro 2.2 gHz Core i7, 10.10.3
16 GB RAM
MOTU 828mkII, PT 12.1 HD
Axiom 61, 2xArtist Mix