Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 10-12-2020, 12:59 AM

Default Control 24 as an analog mixer?

Hey guys!
I'm a new user of the Control24, and I bought it simply as a big mouse for pro tools using the Neyrinck V-Control software) and a metering unit.

Now I got an idea, since it has some inputs and outputs in the back, am I still able to use them in any way even though i am running the latest versions of pro tools and not using this as my soundcard? (I'd still prefer to use my apollo)

Any setup tips?
Old 10-12-2020, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Control 24 as an analog mixer?

You can't run the Control 24 as a sound card, it has no interface capability whatsoever. Nor can you use it as a mixer because it has no capability as a standalone mixer. You can use the preamps and the monitoring control section since all of that stuff is analog, bu you still need a decent enough interface to make it worthwhile to patch it all in and use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-12-2020, 01:32 AM

Thank you for your reply Top Jimmy! That's what I meant, I would like to know what options I have with the analog parts. I have an Apollo x8 soundcard and a patchbay.

For example, could I wire in 4 hardware synths into the Control24 and route the control24 outputs into the apollo? would there be any special setup needed to be done?
Old 10-12-2020, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwalker2 View Post
For example, could I wire in 4 hardware synths into the Control24 and route the control24 outputs into the apollo? would there be any special setup needed to be done?
What’s the point of doing that when you can just plug the synths straight into the Apollo? That’s just pointless redundancy unless you need more than 8 inputs at a time. Not to mention the preamps on the Control 24 are nothing to boast about.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-12-2020, 01:49 AM

yes, i've heard that the preamps are not the best... However, my apollo sits in a rack thats not very accesible, and I like to have all my gear plugged in, ready to go. that's why I thought about using the inputs on the Control24.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwalker2 View Post
yes, i've heard that the preamps are not the best... However, my apollo sits in a rack thats not very accesible, and I like to have all my gear plugged in, ready to go. that's why I thought about using the inputs on the Control24.
Knowing more details might turn up other options. What do you want to have connected all the time, and what inputs are available on the Apollo? As said, the Control24 preamps are not special(pretty much the same as the original Mbox), and it can't actually "mix" them. Some ideas to think about: If everything connects via XLR, a simple XLR panel(HOSA makes one with 12 XLR's front and rear). If you have a bunch of keyboards and sound modules, route to a small desktop mixer and send a stereo mix to the Apollo. Another thought would be to change your setup so the Apollo is close at hand with a small rack to one side of the desk There's gotta be several ways to skin this cat

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-13-2020, 04:06 AM

Thanks for your reply albee1952! I wanted to connect my behringer RD-8 drum machine which has 12 different outputs, as well as some keyboard synths. most of the apollo ins and outs are used for hardware inserts such as eq and compressors.

So there are no mix options available through the control24 such as solo/mute, level adjustment etc (in tandem with the controller mode)? I read something about the line submixer in the manual, but couldn't really figure out if it's doing what i need lol =)
Old 10-13-2020, 09:54 AM

What? All this to get discreet outputs from a 808 clone? And you just want to mix them down in the Control 24... that makes little sense... the RD-8 has a mixer internally. And all those discrete unbalanced outputs, ugh good luck running them any distance, or avoiding ground loops even with short cables.

You are trying to skin a cat by reversing over it with a steam roller.

Just use a drum machine/sampler plugin... so many to choose from, many with multi channel outputs if that is what you want, or others that you can fake that out with plugin instances on separate tracks. If you want a tactile control many of those are available as MIDI control surfaces... or just record the MIDI out of the RD-8 itself.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:50 AM

Thank you for your reply Darryl Ramm!

I personally haven't found a plugin version of the 808 that I like better than real analog, either in modeling or in samples so I would rather stay with the RD-8 which I'm quite happy with =)

It seems that everyone really hates the thought of a person just trying out the signal routing available in the Control24 lol! I hear you, and even though I have owned a mbox back in the day (it didn't sound like money i agree) but they where still ok enough to record with.

I'll guess i'm on my own here and simply have to try it out through trial and error =)
(If someone still has some tips or pointers on how to route stuff and what is possible the the inputs and outputs in this desk, feel free to contribute!)
Old 10-13-2020, 11:57 AM

Maybe a better question then might be what drum machine/sample/synth VIs people recommend to do what you want/sound like the RD-8? Or maybe pick popular music tht you like the beats on and try to have folks guess what VI produced or could produce that... out of my depth there, but there are smart folks here.

Moving this ITB also lets you work untethered/away from hardware, which to me is a big thing.