Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 12 Discussion

Old 04-20-2017, 08:58 AM

Default Re: WHY has this Idea Scale on Proper Bus Soloing not be implemented yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Not sure I understand the problem here; I have key commands setup in Keyboard Maestro to toggle SIP, AFL/PFL. Seems quite easy - no fancy routing, one keystroke to solo subgroups/auxes/effects whenever necessary. Why is this a big deal?
Can you please explain more on this please Rich?
As well could you please give me and example of your keystroke, how to set it up, and your workflow when you switch between SIP, AFL/PFL.

I have heard LLM does NOT work when in AFL/PLF. Can you confirm that?
It only works in SIP.

Thanks
Apollo 8 Quad Blackface with Satellite
Logic Pro X 10.3.1
Waves Suite
www.davemartone.con
Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 AM

Default Re: WHY has this Idea Scale on Proper Bus Soloing not be implemented yet??

Quote:
Not sure I understand the problem here; I have key commands setup in Keyboard Maestro to toggle SIP, AFL/PFL. Seems quite easy - no fancy routing, ability to solo subgroups/auxes/effects whenever necessary. Why is this a big deal?
yes that is brilliant software .. i guess my personal WHY is .. would be more elegant and useful for everyone if Avid Gave us the ability to use the key commands more freely ..

that said: EuCon is that ... i just created a Page of things like Solo & Solo Latch Modes on page 136 (the User 2 page) in ProTools |Control app on iPad ... works great ..

now a suggestion would be to have True Flexibility would be to have each Track have a Different Solo Config ...

even start as simple as Audio and VI tracks are SIP or PFL as default / Aux Tracks are in AFL as default / and then the Latch Modes ... but Fully Configurable by the Track !!!
lynx AES16e-SRC & Aurora 16
Artist Transport & iPad Pro |Control - EuCon 3.6 (older Euphonix Branded MC Transport)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Not sure I understand the problem here; I have key commands setup in Keyboard Maestro to toggle SIP, AFL/PFL. Seems quite easy - no fancy routing, one keystroke to solo subgroups/auxes/effects whenever necessary. Why is this a big deal?
The problem is you spend money and time fiddling with macros to accomplish a stupid simple bare bones basic task that other DAWs just do.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
stupid simple bare bones basic task
umm... what is super simple bare bones to you might have had lots of thinking over and have another result. as in Avid's case, they must always think control surfaces first. if it's not feasible, it isn't going to be implemented
Old 04-20-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
umm... what is super simple bare bones to you might have had lots of thinking over and have another result. as in Avid's case, they must always think control surfaces first. if it's not feasible, it isn't going to be implemented
Of course even basic things can be complex under the hood. I was referring to the concept, which is stupid simple: solo a bus, hear what's going into the bus. Is there any point to soloing a bus all on its own? Serious question.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:52 AM

Pro Tools acts just like an analog console.

I happen to be on an SSL Duality today and it behaves the same way I'm used to for years. There's times I want AFL or PFL, SIP, or SIF (solo in front) You simply choose the one you want at any given moment just like PT. Solo a buss in AFL and you hear what's going to that bus.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2285.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	8379  

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Pro Tools acts just like an analog console.

I happen to be on an SSL Duality today and it behaves the same way I'm used to for years. There's times I want AFL or PFL, SIP, or SIF (solo in front) You simply choose the one you want at any given moment just like PT. Solo a buss in AFL and you hear what's going to that bus.
You're a scholar and a gentleman.

But there's a caveat: no processing downstream. A reply on ideascale:

"if the AFL/PFL path could be assigned to a bus instead of just a physical output that would be better as at the moment using AFL/PFL means you will bypass any mixbus processing or subsequent routing which is not usually ideal.

The other DAW I know well is logic, and the solo system in that always seems to work how i want without having to think about it at all. I suspect this is the case with every other major DAW and i feel pro tools is behind in this regard. The AFL/ PFL modes are useful in some situations, but generally are not useful modes for mixing/ post-production work. SIP is generally much more useful, and Logic, and i think other DAWs handle bus soloing in SIP mode in an intelligent manner. That's what i'd like to see in pro tools.
"
Old 04-21-2017, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
You're a scholar and a gentleman.

But there's a caveat: no processing downstream. A reply on ideascale:

"if the AFL/PFL path could be assigned to a bus instead of just a physical output that would be better as at the moment using AFL/PFL means you will bypass any mixbus processing or subsequent routing which is not usually ideal.

The other DAW I know well is logic, and the solo system in that always seems to work how i want without having to think about it at all. I suspect this is the case with every other major DAW and i feel pro tools is behind in this regard. The AFL/ PFL modes are useful in some situations, but generally are not useful modes for mixing/ post-production work. SIP is generally much more useful, and Logic, and i think other DAWs handle bus soloing in SIP mode in an intelligent manner. That's what i'd like to see in pro tools.
"
But what if you want to hear that track without its subgroup processing? You'd have to bypass them separately, not good. This is what AFL is for.

SIP, with the group master solo safed is for hearing a group member with its buss processing.

Exactly the way analog consoles have done things for decades.

Granted, I have an ICON with dedicated buttons for switching these functions, so I can see a need, as Rich has done, for some key commands.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:56 AM

Comming from 18 years in the SSL Soundscape DAW, I was in awe that PT could not do this very simple task. Soundscape has up to 99 "solo groups" that make management of subgroup solos withing subgroups a piece of cake.

The other missing feature that makes things incredibly difficult is not having a "global edit" that simultaneously edit main playlists, alternate playlists, tempo changes, markers and meter changes. Truly a nightmare in large sessions.

Last edited by Prabha; 04-21-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:59 AM

there is a mention of this very thing in the latest issue of SOS!

CleverSounds Recording

------------------------------------------------------
OS X 10.12.3, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 32 GB RAM, Orion Studio , PT12.7, Slate MTi, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...