Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2019, 09:04 PM

Default 1) "Save Copy In" command does NOT make a complete copy! 2) How to properly backup

1) Save Copy In issue = I am trying to create a copy of my PT session in order to start make edits without affecting the original session. I am using the “Save Copy In” command AND I am check marking the option to copy audio files. But it is not making a truly complete copy…. In the original “Audio Files” folder of the project, it says that there are 514 audio files, but in the 2nd copy the “Audio Files” folder, it says there are only 498 audio files. Why is there a discrepancy of 16 files even though I tell it to copy the audio? It therefore seems that this command is not making a true complete copy. And I’m afraid to continue my work.

Some people have told me that this is because this command does not copy Unused Clip Files...But that is not the culprit in my case, because when I look at the Clip List and select Unused Files ….it highlights almost 100 unused files — NOT just 16!

2) What are the ways to make Backups = For example, I have the PT project folder that I am working on sitting on my computer. At first I thought that I could just, in Finder, right click on the project folder file — copy -- and then past that project folder file to my backup/archival drive. But then, EVERYONE and EVERYWHERE I read online says that is NOT the way to do it because sometimes the copy version will still try to link itself back to the original “Audio Files” folder instead of its own (therefore their back up is useless). They say to use the “Save Copy In” rout. But I have a couple reservations about that method 1-The copy/past method in Finder is less time consuming and 2-I’m not having a lot of confidence the “Save Copy In” method because of the problem I explained in question #1. So what is the proper way of making regular backups/archivals?