Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2023, 03:07 PM

Default Which plug ins are broken in PT 2023.3 and why?!?

Tone Projects says that all there plug is are not working with the 2023.3 update.
And they say some other companies have the same problem.

So are there any experiences what other Plug isn are broken with 2023.3?

And why is it so difficult to make an update that doesn't destroy any plug-ins that worked well in the last version. That's really stupid Avid. Every update brings us new bugs.

So do we have to update our plug ins with every update?
This is so annoying ...

I was so excited to load the new update, but after this message I will stay at 2022.12
Old 03-27-2023, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Which plug ins are broken in PT 2023.3 and why?!?

[edit: Nope not so fast, it looks like Tone Projects may have a separate issue with plugins in 2023.3 with their AAX Apple silicon plugins, see below]

Likely you are running 2023.3 on an Apple silicon based Mac and the missing plugins are intel only.

Are their plugins ported to Apple Silicon Native? Have you tried running Pro Tools 2022.3 under Rosetta if they are Intel only? What does PT Prefs 2 show for the plugin type?

DUC is not write only, there are many hundreds of posts on DUC about plugin compatibility with new Apple Silicon systems and several new threads explaining all this that you could be reading. We really don't need another separate thread about this.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-27-2023 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:35 PM

Avid had to make changes to the AAX platform to support Apple silicon, and it is going to take a little time for everyone to sync up again.

Have a look at Darryl’s post and please respond.

System Details
Old 03-27-2023, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Tone Projects says that all there plug is are not working with the 2023.3 update.
And they say some other companies have the same problem.

So are there any experiences what other Plug isn are broken with 2023.3?

And why is it so difficult to make an update that doesn't destroy any plug-ins that worked well in the last version. That's really stupid Avid. Every update brings us new bugs.

So do we have to update our plug ins with every update?
This is so annoying ...

I was so excited to load the new update, but after this message I will stay at 2022.12
I got that email too:

Quote:
We are currently investigating a compatibility issue with the recently released ProTools 2023.3 that seems to affect all our plugins. It's still not clear whether the issue is with Pro Tools or our plugins (although it seems other developers are having similar issues with their plugins).

While we are working on getting the issue resolved as fast as possible, we recommend waiting to upgrade to ProTools 2023.3 if you are using Tone Projects plugins. Meanwhile, our plugins are fully compatible with the previous Pro Tools version 2022.12.
It's just stupid.
I have most of my plugins working fine with my M2. There are some that use tech that is only on intel processors and they have to re-write the plugin, but this mail from TP is a feeble excuse IMO. No details, no estimate of progress, just stupid.
Old 03-27-2023, 06:24 PM

Wait, I think I/we had the wrong end of the stick. Something does sound broken here... that message is too weird. Tone Projects previously claimed they had AAX native apple silicon release... https://www.kvraudio.com/news/tone-p...-plugins-57112

So are the plugin versions showing up in your installs actually universal or Intel only? (according to PT Prefs 2). (and do version numbers match what is expected, etc.). Did they work before in 2022.12 when running native (not under Rosetta?).

It could well be something is screwed up here and breaking plugins, but I so wish vendors in situations like this would write messages super clearly... like "even though our plugins have been tested to support Apple silicon native AAX plugins in Pro Tools 2022.12, we are aware that in 2023.3 there is a problem.... blah blah blah."
Old 03-27-2023, 06:29 PM

Just to be clear; I don't own any of their plugins. I demoed, I guess that's why I'm on their mailing list.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:10 AM

I run 2023.3 PT but I am still forced using Rosetta option.
I have MCB 64GBRAM M1 and when installed PT 2023.3 I lost most of my plugins.
I almost always use PRO-1 from FabFilter and Source VC from Source elements - both not loading when using PT 2023.3.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:10 AM

Using ProTools preferences thing by Peter Gates

all arteria FX have not been updated to Universal… Most of plug-in alliance have not been updated to Universal native instruments only has three plug-ins that are universal… Jumping on tone projects seems fairly small by comparison… Soft tube is all universal

Universal means plug-in is silicon supported… And to reiterate when using Rosetta it’s as if the machine can read your plug-ins like it was Intel you can use Rosetta in the newest version of Protools if for some reason all the plug-ins you use aren’t updated

What I’ve been doing is in downtime I use his excellent app I see my list of non-universal plug-ins I go to the website I checked the version numbers I download the latest one I refresh the list in his app and then see what happens sometimes these companies don’t even say whether they’ve updated to Universal anywhere on your site

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 03-29-2023, 09:15 AM

Even tho DMG says they're AS native, Pro Tools isn't seeing Limitless as such. Insight 2 as well
Old 03-29-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoapOperaGuy View Post
Even tho DMG says they're AS native, Pro Tools isn't seeing Limitless as such. Insight 2 as well
Did you read any of the thread above?

If you look at the plugins with PT Prefs 2 it will show they are x86-64 only. That is reality.

If you think it's supposed to be universal and PT Prefs 2 shows it is x86-64 only then you need to get your head around the reality it is not/you are likely confused. If DMG is talking about universal and PT Prefs 2 shows it is not, and you have installed their latest version then they are likely talking about other plugin formats, not AAX. Some plugin vendors may claim "apple silicon compatible" which often means they are *not* AAX Apple silicon native but will run under Rosetta. You need to be very careful you understand exactly what vendors are claiming.

Current Insight2 2.3.0 release notes are marketing drivel claiming native support but it does not mean AAX support. https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...ase-notes.html One clue it is all confused ******** is the release date... it is well before any Pro Tools version (2022.12) that had native Apple silicon support, so they can't possibly be talking about Apple silicon native AAX support.

Again you need to start with the reality of what PR Prefs 2 tells you, and sort out your confusion.

(PT Prefs will get info wrong for some previous version of Softube plugins, showing them as universal when they are not, but their latest Softube versions are all AAX apple silicon native, this is the only vendor where PT Prefs shows wrong info, because of some weirdness where Softube had packaged fragments of unusable Apple silicon native code in previous AAX plugins).

Here is a list of AAX native supported plugins: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Compatibility (may have minor errors/omissions).

This is the authoritative thread you should be reading/posting (instead of this thread): https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415770

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-29-2023 at 11:28 AM.