Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2019, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Sample Rounding Issue!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegalante View Post
No, believe me, it's just a question of different habits...
Also, for me, if I had to move/copy/repeat/double/etc. midi clips, I would never be 100% sure that all the notes are correctly moved, unless it's all 100% quantized
Then... when you want to copy a midi part do you select the section in note view then copy and past? Unbelievable... it depends on what kind of music you work with. I primary work on pop and dance and assemblying midi parts in your way is very uncomfortable. Having said that, the point is that since PT11 never seen this issue on midi. Now it's a nightmare.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:53 AM

Not bothered reading the whole thread (sorry)

If you manually type in the length you want to copy/duplicate it works ok. Been like this forever or at least as long as I can remember.

E.g. select clip that’s (say) 2 bars, press the / key on the numeric pad twice, enter “1”, then do the same thing again and select “2”. It sort of seems to clear the rounding error.

Or if you’re duplicating, select all the ones that have fallen off the grid and press “alt-0” to quantise them.

Not saying it’s grest, but these workarounds have served me fine for so long I don’t even think about it.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
Then... when you want to copy a midi part do you select the section in note view then copy and past? Unbelievable... .
Believe or not... Yes 😁😁😁 and believe it or not, I do pop and dance too 😂😂😂 on the other hand, provided the bug obviously shouldn't be there (don't forget PT Ultimate is now an app bigger than 2 Gb !), when the software has a problem you have 2 choices, use a different software or find a workaround... Right ? 😉
Old 05-25-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Believe or not... Yes 😁😁😁 and believe it or not, I do pop and dance too 😂😂😂 on the other hand, provided the bug obviously shouldn't be there (don't forget PT Ultimate is now an app bigger than 2 Gb !), when the software has a problem you have 2 choices, use a different software or find a workaround... Right ? 😉
For me if a workaround allows me to work in a piece of s/w in which I am fluent I'll take the workaround every time. Beats having to learn & get fluent in another daw or other s/w.

QAPLA!
Old 05-25-2019, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
For me if a workaround allows me to work in a piece of s/w in which I am fluent I'll take the workaround every time. Beats having to learn & get fluent in another daw or other s/w.
Absolutely ! Just spent a whole month deeply studying ALL other daws, looking for a credible alternative to PT... Found none.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Absolutely ! Just spent a whole month deeply studying ALL other daws, looking for a credible alternative to PT... Found none.
A month? You're lucky. I spent a year trying to get fluent in Digital Performer a couple of years back to try and remedy the so-called MIDI issues in PT. It may have helped with those but there were so many other hiccups and workflow issues that DP introduced that PT didn't have (like no true instrument tracks, bloated gui with small fonts, etc.) it made the experience not worth it. Besides the time wasted there was the cost of the program - $395 US

QAPLA!
Old 05-25-2019, 06:26 AM

Just bought Cubase 10 Pro xgrade for 166 usd. About 1/3 of what avid wants every year for not fixing bugs
Old 05-25-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
Just bought Cubase 10 Pro xgrade for 166 usd. About 1/3 of what avid wants every year for not fixing bugs

Ah ah ah nice workaround
Hope it's only for midi programming........
Old 05-25-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Can you guys kindly explain to me what exactly is this midi rounding error ? Came across the audio one sometimes but never the midi.... Thanks
Attached are a few screenshots of the 'midi sample rounding issue' in PT. It's actually an incredibly annoying & time consuming bug that even though it has nothing to do with sample rates (that is on the audio side), it creates the same issue as the audio bug in terms of clips randomly not lining up when being copied (with & without ticks selected, using duplicate, repeat or alt + manually dragging).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Midi Sample Rounding Issue 1.jpeg (95.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg Midi Sample Rounding Issue 2.jpeg (85.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg Midi Sample Rounding Issue Notes Out Of Line.jpeg (93.0 KB, 0 views)
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 05-25-2019, 02:57 PM

Can't really tell 'cause the screenshots are too fuzzy, but are your tracks' timebases set to samples or to ticks?

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6